Daily Driver?

-

plymouth67

It be a lot cooler if you did...
Reaction score
So, I am finally getting the Duster closer to where I want it and, much more dialed in and, super road worthy. I have been driving it a lot this week. The weather has been super nice here so, I have driven it to work 2 days in a row now and, we went out to dinner and just tooled around last night. I estimate its getting around 15 to 16 mpg right now (my 71 Challenger gets 6ish and my truck averages 17 ish) so, it's not super bad on gas. It's about 60 mile round trip a day for me to work and back so, this might be my daily driver as long as the weather stays nice. Anybody else daily drive their cars? I wasn't real happy when I had to park in the back lot yesterday but, I was able to move it later in the day.

20220817_112742.jpg

20220818_062122.jpg

No. I wouldn't drive any classic old car of substantial value as a daily driver.
First off I dont think my insurance on that car allows it for daily transportation
The bigger reason is unlicensed uninsured drivers on the road today. People drive like idiots here

No. I wouldn't drive any classic old car of substantial value as a daily driver.
First off I dont think my insurance on that car allows it for daily transportation
The bigger reason is unlicensed uninsured drivers on the road today. People drive like idiots here

My biggest concern is my safety with my Dart. I could wreck my pick up or Honda pretty bad and walk away without much more than a burn from the airbag and some bruises. One idiot on their phone hits my Dart and those lap belts won’t do much.

People drive like Idiots everywhere.

People drive like Idiots everywhere.
Two weekends ago I drove home at night from Long Island. I took the Southern state to the Belt parkway
It was insane the way some drove. Either they drive to slow in the middle or right lane or drive like lunatics
At one point I was in the left lane keeping up with traffic, maybe about 65
Some guy is cutting in and out of traffic, comes up on my right rear bumper, he couldn't have been more that two feet from my car. I swear he was going to hit me and spin me out at 65MPH
I got over as far as I could without going off the road and he passed me. I wanted to choke this POS in his beat up little shitbox car
I could and would never drive the old car on these roads, its not worth it

You’re brave to consider that as your daily driver in the winter if you do live in Illinois!

You’re brave to consider that as your daily driver in the winter if you do live in Illinois!
Oh no..just during the warmer months. I don't like driving any car in the winter here with all the salt they put down..

I always daily drove my 70 Dart from April until October, and once the 75 is road worthy I'll be doing the same. I have the same opinion as @MomsDuster, why have it if you can't enjoy it. I do understand the safety concerns and agree that people drive like complete idiots, but I don't want to allow them to dictate whether or not I should be able to enjoy my car. I do realize that some of the members have some pretty valuable rides, and I suppose I might drive mine less if it were really up there in value, but I would still drive it. Just my .02.

It's a car for goodness sakes. Not the Ark of the Covenant. Drive the wheels off of it. Be different.

If it breaks - fix it. If someone wrecks it, hopefully they/you have good insurance and buy another one

People baby their cars too much. They're machines. Machines need to be driven to keep it happy.

Now, if it was a super rare model, then sure....I can understand some reluctance to drive it a lot. Because at that point, that's an asset and/or investment and needs to be viewed as such.

But for the other 99% of us, drive the damn thing. It's begging you to drive it

And as far as safety goes:

flat-750x1000-075-t.jpg

Last edited:
To each his own, I say. Do what is good for you. I suppose if I lived in a more rural area with open roads and less traffic id be more inclined to drive the old car in the nicer weather

I have always felt that ant day I can be behind the wheel of old junk is a good day!!

Take there plate number down and report it. It pay dividends when there finally caught.

To many people drive the Southern State like it’s there own personal track with all the bends and twists. It would make for a excellent closed track the way the Pkwy. meanders around. Northern state Pkwy as well. Between those two and driving down to the Ocean Pkwy. and back up the Sag., the Wantagh or the Meadowbrook, it’s a huge box track on Long Island. Fageddaboutit!!!

When I was a youngster, leaving for work late, I’d make Freeport to Babylon in 15 minutes, from start (leaving the house) to finish, punching in at work just off of 231. Fast? Heck yea, BUT, I still got passed on the way.

That was 1991/93. It was done in a ‘79 ElCamino or a ‘73 Cuda. Those were my daily drivers then.

Two weekends ago I drove home at night from Long Island. I took the Southern state to the Belt parkway
It was insane the way some drove. Either they drive to slow in the middle or right lane or drive like lunatics
At one point I was in the left lane keeping up with traffic, maybe about 65
Some guy is cutting in and out of traffic, comes up on my right rear bumper, he couldn't have been more that two feet from my car. I swear he was going to hit me and spin me out at 65MPH
I got over as far as I could without going off the road and he passed me. I wanted to choke this POS in his beat up little shitbox car
I could and would never drive the old car on these roads, its not worth it

-
Back