dakota 5 speed in an A body

-
Well there are different dakota transmissions. Most require cutting of the transmission tunnel. I am getting ready to do this swap myself and if anyone has any pics I'd love to get some.

I was going to put one in my 38 plymouth coupe. I had a 440 4spd mocked upin there. The trans tunel and bellhousing area will need to be bigger. The 5spd I used was out of a 2000 5.2 5spd Dakota. The trans and bell is a lot larger because of all the ribs on the trans and bell. To use this trans you will need to redo the tunel in a stock A body.

I was going to put one in my 38 plymouth coupe. I had a 440 4spd mocked upin there. The trans tunel and bellhousing area will need to be bigger. The 5spd I used was out of a 2000 5.2 5spd Dakota. The trans and bell is a lot larger because of all the ribs on the trans and bell. To use this trans you will need to redo the tunel in a stock A body.

Yeah.. That's the one that I have too.. I heard it was the strongest one but I can't back this up.

That's the NV3500, I have one in my Dakota. I've managed to run high 12's with it, but I leave like there's a cop behind me and shift like an old lady. Sticky tires and dumping the clutch at 3 grand would likely explode it.

ok thats out then looks like i need to find an alternative as i can hack up my car. keisler or passon? I guess Ill look into them. Thanks guys. I heard Mcloud is coming out with a tranny too so maybe Ill wait

If fabrication is something you're OK with. You might look into an 5-speed R154 out of a 87-92 turbo supra. Its got better gear ratios and stronger than the dakota transmission, but will bolt to a dakota bellhousing. There are a couple of threads posted on hear and a couple of the other boards about the swap.

nothing that comes factory anything will likely hold up unless were talking about a viper spec t56 (6 speed...in my opinion way too much and useless since realy why do you need 2 overdrives?)

nothing that comes factory anything will likely hold up unless were talking about a viper spec t56 (6 speed...in my opinion way too much and useless since realy why do you need 2 overdrives?)

because at 70mph it's only turning 1600rpm with 3.72 gears

because at 70mph it's only turning 1600rpm with 3.72 gears

well depending on what cam hes running, its definatly not something i would recommend...jmo..could never justify the cash for another 200rpms or so over the first overdrive...money could go to better areas

Those Dakota trannies are just that, truck transmissions. Useless in any high performance application as far as I'm concerned but for just a MPG cruiser, well maybe it's OK but I still don't like it.

ok thats out then looks like i need to find an alternative as i can hack up my car. keisler or passon? I guess Ill look into them. Thanks guys. I heard Mcloud is coming out with a tranny too so maybe Ill wait

You might give my friend Brad Wedan a call at:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/

I'm sure he can help you out.

Well.. If you run the standing mile it can be very helpful. It lets you run really low rear gears.

Those Dakota trannies are just that, truck transmissions. Useless in any high performance application as far as I'm concerned but for just a MPG cruiser, well maybe it's OK but I still don't like it.

Why do you say that?

Well.. If you run the standing mile it can be very helpful. It lets you run really low rear gears.

Why do you say that?

not sure i know what the standing mile is??? like a top speed contest? (i.e. texas mile) in that case yes, but i dont think most are doing events like that...and yes guitar jones is 100% right in my opinion- if you are going to beat on the car, get something that will last...only reason i put a t5 in my car is because it was cheap at the time and i can easily swap to a tko when the time comes and make good money off the t5 setup, but in no way shape or form is a t5 strong...guys break tkos with not alot of power, so honestly how well do you think a used truck tranny will hold up right?

If fabrication is something you're OK with. You might look into an 5-speed R154 out of a 87-92 turbo supra. Its got better gear ratios and stronger than the dakota transmission, but will bolt to a dakota bellhousing. There are a couple of threads posted on hear and a couple of the other boards about the swap.

Thought I'd add some info regarding the power handling capacity of these ricer transmissions.

http://forum.uza70.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47

Also some info on ratios and applications of the Aisin Warner transmissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_transmission

Finally, A833 ratios and other good info from our friends at Bigblockdart.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/4sptech.shtml

-
Back