Dakota question

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
Hey all you Dakota owners. I'm looking at a 99 Dakota Sport, 4x4, 5.2/318, extended cab, with topper, air, and cruise. It's in really nice shape for its age but the only thing that scares me is that it has 173,000 miles on it. What issues do I need to be looking for, does 173,000 miles sound like too much, and what do you think a fair price would be (I don't want to give the asking price yet becasue I don't want to influence your answers). If it checks out OK, I might buy it tomorrow. Thanks.

I have a 98 Dakota R/T with 157k on it. I use it to tow my Dart.

I replaced the ball joints and front pads at 106k and 2 water pumps that were replaced under warranty at 21k and 23k.

It has never let me down. I change the oil every 3k, the tranny, PS and rear end every 50k.

Tows VERY well.

It was my daily driver until I got my Mustang GT. I have put 81k on the Mustang so far.

As far as price.... I could not tell you and don't want to give you bad info.

No Dakota owners out there?

Your kidding me right?
Barley a hour and 15 min.'s and your posting where the truck owners are?
OMG! give me a brake.

WELCOME TO FOR A BODIES ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Dakotoa owner and long time MoPar guy! 173,000 aint
SH#$%^*$%^*$#%&@$!

I picked up a '79 Dodge with a very crazy orignal owner who keep records that are Un freakin beileveable until he stop recording them in '89 with over 300,000 miles, were as his oldest daughter got the car for 4 years for collage about 150 - 175 miles away. Everyweekend, she came home.
)Laundry, money, shoulder to cry on, what ever...)

Then, his son got it for 4 more years at the same collage. Home some weekends, party city others.

After those kids got done with it, he used it for a daily driver back and forth from Suffolk county LI, NY to NYC, 50 miles 1 way trip.

That lasted 10 years.

How many miles on this 318?

LOL, 1/2 million?

It is now in my Duster with a few bolt on's running high 14's for kicks.
1 quart of oil per tank, that's it. Replaced valve seals and cam bearing with the new Crane cam when I installed it.
Burnouts galore baby.

(173,000 miles, LOL, ROFLMAO, just breakin in. HA ha ha ha ha ha)

Yah I suppose I was a bit impatient there rumble. Just a little ancy and don't want to miss an oppotunity on a really nice looking truck. It's nice to know that with a little care it should last a lot longer. It should be great for towing my dart around as I get it restored.

No worries, I should have put a BIG LOL! in there.
my bad, sorry.

If it uses any oil check for blown intake manifold plenum gasket. Common on 318's.

I understand it is a fairly time consuming fix. Fortunately I had someone who could do it.

Mike

Here's a pic.

Dakota.jpg

My brother has one…. Ball joints and front hub bearings I believe are a common issue.

Great power for a compact truck with that 318.

dakotas are nice and all, but not for me. when it comes to trucks, i go full size or no size. with that said, thats a badass looking ram in your driveway mr pyscho.

I have a '99 Dak with 2WD & V6, about 120,000 miles so far.
My son has a '98 with 2WD & V6, about 180,000.
Check out ebay, you should find that these trucks with 250,000 + miles is not uncommon.
That is a nice looking truck you are looking at.
If you buy it, join the DML, Dakota Mailing List. Good folks there.
C

dakotas are nice and all, but not for me. when it comes to trucks, i go full size or no size. with that said, thats a badass looking ram in your driveway mr pyscho.
and if u dont come get it i will trade it for dak daks rule full size my ***

Well, I looked at the truck. It was clean and seemed solid. The only issue was a fairly noticable ticking coming from the driver's side of the engine. After I drove it, the ticking went away. Don't know if was valve train related or an exhaust leak. The price was $5950 firm.

The tick was probably a broken exhaust manifold stud. Very common problem. Can't comment on the price, but when you can buy a new full size Ram for less than 20... Maybe when the snow melts in MT (what's that, about May?) the price will come down!
C

I bought this one a few months ago. I like it. 2000 2/wd 3.9 v6. 100,000 miles
runs and drives like a new one. The body and suspension seems tight and quiet. I took it across the state over new years weekend and it got 18mpg and I was driving it 75 or so. It looks like a nice truck in the photo. Use the high mileage as a bargaining chip to buy it for less although I wouldn't be too afraid of the mileage. Obviously it was a highway driver and it doesn't look abused. Good luck! toolmanmike

Dakota 50 per.jpg

I bought this one a few months ago. I like it. 2000 2/wd 3.9 v6. 100,000 miles
runs and drives like a new one. The body and suspension seems tight and quiet. I took it across the state over new years weekend and it got 18mpg and I was driving it 75 or so. It looks like a nice truck in the photo. Use the high mileage as a bargaining chip to buy it for less although I wouldn't be too afraid of the mileage. Obviously it was a highway driver and it doesn't look abused. Good luck! toolmanmike
Nice Dak Toolman, didn´t the Sport come with a v8?

That 99 318 4x4 is sweet - thats what I originally went to buy in '99 and drove out in a Flame Red R/T club cab, kinda wish I got the 4x4 since I'd probably still have it.

-
Back