Dakota rack and pinion A body conversion

-

lawndart70

1970 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
Has anybody heard of using a rack and pinion from a Dodge Dakota for an A body conversion? I don't know where I read it at, but if anyone has any information, I would appreciate it!

I don't see how you can do it. Dakota is front steer. A-body is rear steer.

front steer would all but clear everything. Thats important when your looking at the motor position. It would also position the steering link forward out of the 3/5 cylinder area. flip the spindle sides and Bring it!
alterktionKITLOGO.jpg

Until someone comes up with magic spindles which work with front steer "you can't." One member on here has a drag race early A he converted to front steer, but I bet you don't go round too many tight corners.

We've blown this around on here. Google "Ackerman angle"

Only other alternative is one of the many aftermarket front ends, AKA mustang II based and so on

I spose if you went to enough work, you could narrow a Dakota and mod that into an A, but I'm not creative enough. I've got "most of" a stang suspension clip, a Nissan I think and maybe Toyota pickup I got cheap "just to play with" when "I have the money and time"

thanks for the input guys, read through the old news too, sounds doable but don't think I want to take the chance of losing steering radius, mine is for the street, not the track

thanks for the input guys, read through the old news too, sounds doable but don't think I want to take the chance of losing steering radius, mine is for the street, not the track
not one to normally discourage DIY projects, after all, that's what hotrodding is all about. However, as pointed out, Ackerman issues suck which is why flipping the spindles and the issues caused by doing so limit this project. So you're making the right decision passing up using the Dakota rack.

That being said. If you really want to give this ago, you might check into a steering rack set up from a 3000GT or Dodge Stealth. I mention this because not only is the rack designed for a rear steer spindle, but the length of the rack is very very close to that of what is needed for an A body. Before anyone says anything about racks not caring about front/rear steer, the 3000gt/Stealth rack is designed with a high angle steering shaft and what is essentially a CV joint, the steering shaft comes from the fire wall and then straight down to the rack at just past a 90 degree angle. I think with that set up, one could possibly make the 3S series rack work. Just food for thought.

-
Back