Dale's Cuda Shop wire hose clamps not the correct size? - 1967 Dart 273

-
Dana67Dart I was simply using your measurements for the second to largest set of hose clamps you received and I assume I also received. I assumed this based on the fact that both sets appear to both have the same graduated size clamp pairings (2x largest, 2x bit smaller, etc.,etc.). I think the bypass hose clamp size would be too small for use at the upper radiator hose connection. I will see what fits when the second kit comes in.

For the record when I reference 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 I'm referencing the approximate size. When ordering clamps if you order a 1 1/2 it might be too small. For some reason the way they are labeled doesn't seem to have any corolation to the size that will work.

Example is the clamps I ordered for the by pass hose. The hose measured 1.1" od and a " 1 1/8" " clamp worked.

I bought a range of clamps to try.

I will see what fits when the second kit comes in
Got it you ordered another set and you will use the slightly smaller ~1.5" for all 4 rad hose fittings.

BTW if you need two for the bypass hose let me know and I'll send you some. I have 23 left from the ones I bought at McMaster Carr

Dana67Dart good to be clear on the specs so I appreciate you adding those notes. I should avoid calling out sizes specifically if I have not verified them first- last thing I would want is to be sloppy and (accidentally) put erroneous info out to FABO.

RustyRatRod I haven't see that before. Pretty amazing. Kind of reminds me of some of the high tech products out there now like adhesives that are being used to put structural components together. In my case I am after keeping things original -:)

Dana67Dart good to be clear on the specs so I appreciate you adding those notes. I should avoid calling out sizes specifically if I have not verified them first- last thing I would want is to be sloppy and (accidentally) put erroneous info out to FABO.

RustyRatRod I haven't see that before. Pretty amazing. Kind of reminds me of some of the high tech products out there now like adhesives that are being used to put structural components together. In my case I am after keeping things original -:)

Those "clamps" are essentially heavy duty shrink sleeve. But yes, if originality is what you're after, they surely "ain't that".

Anyone have a problem using wire clamps?

I bought kit DC004 66-69 273-318-340 Hose Clamp kit 6-7 months ago, just put them on with a hose change. The kit came with 2 radiator hose clamps, 1 t-stat hose clamp, one water pump inlet hose clamp, 2 bypass hose clamps, and 4 heater hose clamps.

Two of the rad / water pump / t-stat housing clamps were the same size. The other two rad / water pump / t-stat housing clamps were a different size (slightly larger, like 3/4 to 1 wire thickness larger in diameter)

Both by-pass hose clamps had an ID the same as the OD of the Gates bypass hose that is available ( ~1.1")

The 4 heater hose clamps fit well on the 5/8 heater hose.

The T-stat housing is 1 year old and has no pitting, all other iron fittings / inlets have some pitting from age.

What works well...
1. The heater hoses, no leaks all 4 ends

2. The lower rad hose (I used the 2 smaller of the 4 hose clamps on both ends) no leaks either end

3. upper rad hose, radiator end, no leak (I used the 2 larger of the 4 hose clamps on both ends. Easiest to change in the future)

What doesn't work well...

1. The two larger hose clamps do not have as much clamping force as the two smaller ones. this is resulting in the t-stat cover leaking at the hose.

2. The by-pass clamps measure the same ID ~1.1" as the OD of the Gates hose at ~1.1" they will not work at all

I'm sure Dale's is a reputable business but they were not helpful at all with this issue, they only said that they sell the kit all the time and mine is the first issue they have had and that the water pump was the problem (it's not leaking there) and they never addressed the by-pass hose clamp size.

I ordered another wire clamp kit from another supplier and am eager to see the sizes that kit comes with.

The gates hoses (upper and lower rad) claim 1.5" ID all ends (no OD listed) It stands to reason that all 4 clamps should be the same ID?

The Gates bypass hose lists .8" ID (No OD listed) was the OE hose twice as thick?

20386 Lower Radiator
20602 Upper Radiator
19605 By-pass hose

Maybe I should have used the larger of the two on the radiator end of the upper and lower hoses and the smaller of the two on the WP inlet and t-stat housing?

Any and all thoughts welcome.
I must be missing something here. Why would you order a "kit" that you're not sure will work, when you can just go and order Corbin clamps the size you want from a local jobber shop? Yes, not all shops will carry them, but a little calling around will get you what you need and not what someone else thinks you need.

I must be missing something here. Why would you order a "kit" that you're not sure will work
I bought the kit because it said it was for small block Mopar

Unfortunately the parts in the kit are not all correct for the hoses available today.

The bypass hose clamps are too large. Two of the radiator clamps are bigger than the others.

I did end up buying seperate clamps for the bypass hose from McMaster Carr.

As for buying seperate clamps from your local Jobber.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have such available to them.

Not to mention the sizing is not consistent, from my experience.

-
Back