Damage in Block at Distributor Mount, Suggestions?

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Guys, you're looking at the distributor hole. There is a chunk out of the edge, closest to the bolt hole. (There are no pieces in the engine, so don't reply about that)
How would you fix this? Do I consider filling it somehow? I was thinking of filling it with silcone and let it dry before installing the distributor.

5F05FC54-52D3-4E6D-AD1F-3942BDB8D28D.jpeg

There is a distributor o ring seal for later model la motors. It used the typical o ring on the collar but a thin flat washer like gasket that lifted up the distributor the thickness of the gasket. Kind of like a transmission fiber washer between the sun gear and drum. I’ve seen it on a few engines like a van or HD truck 318. Sorry I cannot offer more help. good luck but honestly your issue is not a real problem as there is very little pressure at that point if you have a good pcv system.

Com on !!!! You know you want that crank trigger !!! Or a really tricked out front drive dizzy !!:icon_fU:

There is a distributor o ring seal for later model la motors. It used the typical o ring on the collar but a thin flat washer like gasket that lifted up the distributor the thickness of the gasket. Kind of like a transmission fiber washer between the sun gear and drum. I’ve seen it on a few engines like a van or HD truck 318. Sorry I cannot offer more help. good luck but honestly your issue is not a real problem as there is very little pressure at that point if you have a good pcv system.
Gasket will work for sure. If it is a points system you want to use a metal crush washer for the ground. easy fix

^^Easy^^ Use a flat gasket. Older "I don't remember" B/RB? engines used a flat gasket. You can make one if you have to

62 back. Most EARLY tach drive dual points also used them. also. Metal are a bit pricey 12-18 the fiber you can order anywhere from felpro.

a flat gasket came with my fel_pro intake set // if you want it pm me

Clean white towel, stuff in hole, scrape gouge clean with pick, wipe black rtv across gouge ...let dry...pull white towel out in such a way to capture paint bits. Reinstall distributor with 'lubed o ring', flat gasket too if you want , re time it and drive off.

just a side question ??? doesn't the dizzy hold down bracket ground it ??

Last edited:
So does the intermediate shaft,oil pump...lol it's in contact with plenty of grounding parts.

Over the years I have seen so many odd things burned from getting grounds though them.:D
Speedo cables, E brake cables, Ujoints.

LOLOL. Back in the 70's, the old 440-6 RR, I had the engine out and back in. I had a trunk mount battery, grounded through the body/ frame, and had forgotten to hook up the engine block-to-frame ground jumper. I got in to start it first time, pushed in the clutch and hit the key. Smoke and sparks under the dash, and the clutch rod RETAINER CLIP fell off on my foot, still smoking LOLOL. Turns out clutch linkage makes 'a poor ground'

-
Back