dammit ray !!

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
got the fish out yesterday drove it about 1/2 mile , first bump I hit , the whole thing shut down sun as the front wheels hit a bump , been fighting this for a long, long time .
always restarts and runs perfectly when the plugs get cleaned off , will start by itself when going fast enough for the trans to drag the engine over .
I get a wild hair and mess with it about once every two months , doing other life things , but this is gettin old as hell !!
Got a temp short somewhere , shuts down everything electrical ...
Sent all fast fuel inj. parts in for a check check all good , runs like a 505 should untill I hit a bump . DAMMIT RAY !!

Don't hit bumps. :poke:

What have you checked?? And why would you suspect the FI??

1st you need to fill in the gaps...
What year?
What electrical modifications?
What does
"always restarts and runs perfectly when the plugs get cleaned off" mean? What Plugs?
What does
"Shuts down everything electrical" mean? does the radio shut off? the headlights turn off? the Wipers stop? the turn signals stop?

Got a temp short somewhere , shuts down everything electrical

Sounds to me like you have a bad connection that is opening on a bump. If it was a short you would have melted wires by now.

The path is basically...

from alternator to bulkhead connector to ammeter to bulkhead connector to post on starter relay to battery.

along the way to the Ammeter there is a splice that feeds the car and everything in it.

PXL_20230723_141042300~2.jpg

PXL_20230723_141535199.jpg

THE MAIN SUSPECTS

The connections at the Bulkhead connectors
The Ignition Switch and its connections
The main Splice

If you haven't already go to Mymopar.com and download your cars Service manual. (free download)

go to classiccarwiring.com and buy a colored wiring diagram (best $25.00 you will spend)

Last edited:
Above is spot on. Also make sure all your harnesses are supported every 8” or more. It sounds like a disconnect plug (electrical) point is disconnecting or do you have enough grounds - engine to sheet metal sheet metal to batter and battery to engine.
If your mounts are isolating you may be finding ground thru the drive shaft. One bump and it disconnects the ground. Just spit balling I know you’re mad about the situation. Syleng1

I saw your title and thought you were scolding Rusty! :poke: :lol: :lol:

Don't hit bumps. :poke:

What have you checked?? And why would you suspect the FI??
dont suspect the fulel inj. , just had them check it in the elimination process.
Car has been rewired and worked perfectly for 10ish yrs. , msd, fuel inj. also controlls timing , thot I found it a couple of times , but no cigar ...
leaning toward msd or dist. short now ???

Above is spot on. Also make sure all your harnesses are supported every 8” or more. It sounds like a disconnect plug (electrical) point is disconnecting or do you have enough grounds - engine to sheet metal sheet metal to batter and battery to engine.
If your mounts are isolating you may be finding ground thru the drive shaft. One bump and it disconnects the ground. Just spit balling I know you’re mad about the situation. Syleng1

aluminum engine plate , grounds all over the car , more than stock !!!

more like disgusted !!

c
What year?
What does
"always restarts and runs perfectly when the plugs get cleaned off" mean? What Plugs?
What does
"Shuts down everything electrical" mean? does the radio shut off? the headlights turn off? the Wipers stop? the turn signals stop?

Sounds to me like you have a bad connection that is opening on a bump. If it was a short you would have melted wires by now.

The path is basically...

from alternator to bulkhead connector to ammeter to bulkhead connector to post on starter relay to battery.

along the way to the Ammeter there is a splice that feeds the car and everything in it.

View attachment 1716118532

View attachment 1716118534

THE MAIN SUSPECTS

The main Splice

If you haven't already go to Mymopar.com and download your cars Service manual. (free download)

go to cllasiccarwiring.com and buy a colored wiring diagram (best $25.00 you will spend)
ar was rewired about 10ish yrs ago , no stock wireing...

What year?
What does
What does

The path is basically...

View attachment 1716118532

View attachment 1716118534

THE MAIN SUSPECTS

The main Splice

go to cllasiccarwiring.com and buy a colored wiring diagram (best $25.00 you will spend)
Dana,
you’ve got a typo it is ClassicCarWiring.com and they are awesome!

I don't mean to be a pill, but that does not answer much, other than no one here has a snowballs chance to help you.
not asking for yours or anyone elses help , reread post , no questions asked ...
Simply bithching outloud , I guess .
And , that stock wiring diagram doesnt fit anymore at all-----------rewired about 1-12 yrs ago...

not asking for yours or anyone elses help , reread post , no questions asked ...
Simply bithching outloud , I guess .
And , that stock wiring diagram doesnt fit anymore at all-----------rewired about 1-12 yrs ago...
Well, I'd come over & help, but a bit too much of a jaunt to "pop on over" for Me!!! I was in OK in '08, got My '64 GT Vert in El Reno, towed it all the way back here!!!

long tow
Well, I'd come over & help, but a bit too much of a jaunt to "pop on over" for Me!!! I was in OK in '08, got My '64 GT Vert in El Reno, towed it all the way back here!!!
long tow !!
Think I found it , so far seems to be the white trigger wire for the M S D . .fingers crossed !!

Not sure which MSD unit you have but years ago I had an issue with a Digital 6 box that would crap out intermittently. MSD said the potting cracked and was causing the erratic behavior. Maybe you have a similar situation? Jeff

life has be
Not sure which MSD unit you have but years ago I had an issue with a Digital 6 box that would crap out intermittently. MSD said the potting cracked and was causing the erratic behavior. Maybe you have a similar situation? Jeff
life has gotten in the way for a bit , hi heat and humidity here also , but the last drive it ran great , except for a surge at idle , have the fuel. inj. set pretty lean set pretty lean , will adjust it next outing...

-
Back