Damn Milodon. Check your oil pans

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing over the year’s I’ve bought at least 5-6 (340) and (360) Milodon oil pans and never had an issue. Well I guess an engineer must have had some spare time on his hands and decided to reengineer their oil pans. What an idiot move. First off they lowered the windage towards the crank, forgot to clearance for the pickup tube and even made it worse by moving it into the sump areas further. Take a look at the notch I had to grind out for the pickup tube. Then once it cleared the front rods hit the tray because they lowered it too. I tried to ballpeen clearance it but I’m hooking up the torches to get it hot enough to do major mods. 300.00 oil pan and a day plus lost.
CADC0848-9688-4A42-BE74-513C16B81A7C.jpeg
1178B9E3-B25F-45D1-819D-49D61A1C5201.jpeg

That sucks!! It's a real shame that something you use and trust for years suddenly becomes a problem.

Its not rocket science to make one that fits. Adding stroker dimensions may not be in the cards. That's Hot rodding....I really dont expect anything to fit out of the box nowadays....."Due to factory tolerances, some clearancing may be required to obtain proper fit" seems to be a boilerplate disclaimer on anything aftermarket now.
(spell checking "clearancing" so I asked my wife..she said "its not a real word, probably a Mopar word" ...I chuckled....totally agreed!)

Like I said before I don’t mind touching something up but this isn’t even close. I got it through Summit but they sure as heck didn’t make it. Milodon will be getting a call or two next week.

Its not rocket science to make one that fits. Adding stroker dimensions may not be in the cards. That's Hot rodding....I really dont expect anything to fit out of the box nowadays....."Due to factory tolerances, some clearancing may be required to obtain proper fit" seems to be a boilerplate disclaimer on anything aftermarket now.
(spell checking "clearancing" so I asked my wife..she said "its not a real word, probably a Mopar word" ...I chuckled....totally agreed!)

Funny thing about this is they say it good up to a 4.150 stroke crank. Yaaaaaa right. And rods like K1 and other new type of rod bolts give you more clearance especially with Chevy sizing. This Engineer couldn’t make microwave popcorn.

Funny thing about this is they say it good up to a 4.150 stroke crank. Yaaaaaa right. And rods like K1 and other new type of rod bolts give you more clearance especially with Chevy sizing. This Engineer couldn’t make microwave popcorn.

Not that I expected any better , but a 9 qt milodon pan for a big block , advertised to fit a mag. force tubular k member , doesn`t fit w/o modifying the front corners either . ------Just hot rodding nowadays .

Had to do the same on my milodon pan with their pick up. Also had to clearance one of the main stud due to hitting the pan once bolted, and that was on top of a crankscrapper too. Thought I had pictures but didn't take any at that time.

My last three small block builds going back almost twenty years all have used Milodon pans. All of them needed to be beat out to clear the HV oil pumps, have a hole drilled in them for the dip stick and the bolt holes needed work. One side would line up but the other side would need work, almost like the pan was out of square. Also all three are hit by the end of the pitman arm.

I wonder if it's the same guy that f*cked up the sb valve covers.... :mob:

Pretty sure I’m just going to cut that front plate out tomorrow and sink it like my older pans. It’s only there to keep oil in the pan while braking.

I picked up my last parts for a new shop project I’ve been thinking about making. I’ll post up some pictures tomorrow to see if anyone can guess what I’m up to.

-
Back