Damned Door!

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
:violent1:I have a '66 Barracuda. The driver's side door was getting a little tired (sagging) about 10 years ago. I installed new hinge pins & everything was fine. A couple of times over the past few years the striker thingy that the wheel on the door is supposed to go into has moved a little & the door won't close - I get that awful CLUNK! sound. I've tried just about every adjustment combination I can come up with, but I'm not having much luck. The passenger door still closes perfectly & I've tried to copy that position, but........
There is no adjustment on the door & the wheel works fine.
All of the parts look good & the door is solid on the hinges. What's the trick?

Have you adjusted the "striker thingy"? Or is it not adjustable on your car?

I would start by pulling the striker out completely, get the door to fit the gap first, then lubricate the door latch, and fit the striker to the door. Lift up and down on the back of the door to make sure that your pins and bushings are still tight, if the original bushings were left too long they can oblong the holes in the hinges and create slop in the pins and bushings even if they are new.

Do you have young kids that like to "Help" when you are working on the car? Make sure someone didn't trip the door latch while the door was open.

After reading your post it sounds like you are talking about the hold open lever. If it is not worn out and needing the hinge replaced then lube the roller real good because when the roller binds while closing it will pop if it is worn or sticking. If the lever is falling off the roller it will probably need the hinge replaced.

Do you have young kids that like to "Help" when you are working on the car? Make sure someone didn't trip the door latch while the door was open.
The '66 and earlier latch is a star wheel type the uses a saw-tooth type striker unlike the '67-up latches that capture a round post. There is quite a bit of adjustment on the striker so you'll just have to do it by trial and error to get it just right. As 67Dart440GT said, get the door centered first by adjusting the hinges and then work on the striker adjustment.

-
Back