Dana 60 in an A-Body

-

Dave Tinker

Reaction score
I am looking at the option of a Dana 60 in my 73 Duster. I have a Big Block with 3500 stall converter. I have a ford 9 inch and an 8.75 currently to choose from but concerned about breaking those. My question is do all Dana 60 axles have a 3.5 tube diameter as the ones I have looked at from trucks ? Do the Dana's that are 5 lug have smaller ( 3 inch } tubes ? I have all of my brackets and ladder bars and coil over brackets and they are made for three inch tube.

street Danas...to the best of my memory...have 3" axles

A lot of the truck Danas have 3" tubes but are very thick. I went with a Strange S-60 in my Dart. I don't know which 9" you have, if it's out of a 1/2 ton truck don't waste your time on the center section. Used nodular center sections with good pinion supports can be picked up pretty reasonable, add some good 30 or preferably 35 spline axles and don't look back.

I built the Dana 60 for this 72 Duster 3" tubes and 35 spline Moser axles. Tubes are not that thick on any of the older danas, think mine came out of a 67 F100 pickup. Original axles were a 5 lug 5 on 5" pattern. Look for the numbers stamped into the top of the passenger side axle tube near the center section, you can look up the bill of materials on the Dana website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-06-07-14-38.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 248
I picked up a Dana 60 from a 2001 Dodge 2500. I have to have it cut down and put new ends on it as I believe the housing ends are different for 8 lug and 5 lug. I am going to get posi unit and go with 35 spline axles. I think this will be the best set up for my application with 440 and 3500 stahl converter..I am also using Ladder bars and coil overs. Any suggestions on an Anti-roll bar for the rear would be appreciated and also any help with spring size or rate for a 73 Duster. The car has a full roll cage in it as well. I have Hoosier 31 x 10.5W x 15 tires and would like to know what gear I should run for mostly street use,I know I will have to use D.O.T. tires for the street but still to get those. The car will see occasional track use but not a lot. I think the smallest gear for Dana 60 is a 3.54 and then a 3.73

Talk to Cass at Doctor Diff. He can answer all of your questions and build you a gnarly Dana 60.

-
Back