Dana 60 strength?

-
Depending on how tough you build it........it will handle anything you throw at it.

Dana 60 with Moser Spool and 4.56 racing ring and pinion, 35 spline axles.
I put 750 HP to it every weekend. 1.41 60ft. leaves pretty hard, picks up front end about 9".
It will handle anything you throw at it as long as you have the right gears and setup in it:
If you have hard steel gears and have it set up to be quiet, it may not hold up to racing.
If you want to race it, put racing gears in it. They are a little softer metal and will flex slightly during violent launches.
Don't expect quiet if you do street/strip with it though, they will whine a little.

Dana 60 with Moser Spool and 4.56 racing ring and pinion, 35 spline axles.
I put 750 HP to it every weekend. 1.41 60ft. leaves pretty hard, picks up front end about 9".
It will handle anything you throw at it as long as you have the right gears and setup in it:
If you have hard steel gears and have it set up to be quiet, it may not hold up to racing.
If you want to race it, put racing gears in it. They are a little softer metal and will flex slightly during violent launches.
Don't expect quiet if you do street/strip with it though, they will whine a little.
had 538`s in one for yrs., w/ approx. 700-750 h.p., no problems. what few times we got it hooked up, it carried the front wheels about 8" all the way thru low gear, set them down in the second gear change. ahh -memories are made of this !

Wow! Some nice numbers! I was looking to do the street/strip thing with about 850hp and 315 drag raidals, some are saying i need a 9".
A 9" is strong and easier to change gearsets or complete pumpkins.

replaced a bent 8 3/4 with a DR Diff Strange 60 with 4.56 standard gear.....71 Dart went faster in worse weather... with a 360 it will last forever...

I'm running a Strange prepped Dana 60 in my bracket Demon with a their spool, 5.13 gears, & 35 spline gun drilled axles. It also has ladder bars, & coil over rear shocks. I leave on the transbrake at 5k, shifting at 6200 with my 408 stroker, it will probably out live me.

For what it's worth, I put a factory original 4.10 Dana 60 in my '70 Roadrunner back in the mid-seventies. I doubt I was much more than 400 HP. The torqueflite I ran was modified and slammed each gear so hard it would 'irk' the tires every time it shifted - even idling with my foot off the pedal.

It was my daily driver and after about 5 years I did break an axle. I don't know how many thousands of times it had shifted during those years but sometimes it must have been 100s of times a day. I guess the HP amount isn't the only factor. Stressed enough times, metal fatigue happens.

And that was just an axel. Not an actual rear end breaking. And no doubt a stock axle again after all that time all that weight of the bigger car it finally fatigued and axle which took what 2 hours to completely take off and replace? Oh yeah and back in the mid-seventies someone probably gave you one or give you $20 to take it off their hands LOL
For what it's worth, I put a factory original 4.10 Dana 60 in my '70 Roadrunner back in the mid-seventies. I doubt I was much more than 400 HP. The torqueflite I ran was modified and slammed each gear so hard it would 'irk' the tires every time it shifted - even idling with my foot off the pedal.

It was my daily driver and after about 5 years I did break an axle. I don't know how many thousands of times it had shifted during those years but sometimes it must have been 100s of times a day. I guess the HP amount isn't the only factor. Stressed enough times, metal fatigue happens.

The 60 is the superman of axles. Mine is a sure grip with Cooks axles. 4.88 gear. Dart with a big block. Its had autos,4 speeds and clutch flights in front of it. 14" wide slicks. Not one problem. Ever.

And that was just an axel. Not an actual rear end breaking. And no doubt a stock axle again after all that time all that weight of the bigger car it finally fatigued and axle which took what 2 hours to completely take off and replace? Oh yeah and back in the mid-seventies someone probably gave you one or give you $20 to take it off their hands LOL

I pulled it out of a Superbird that had 14,000 miles on it and gave $150 for it at that time. I'm still a firm believer in the Dana 60 and have put one in my '72 440 Duster and my '67 408 Barracuda. I've got Strange axles in the Duster and Moser axles in the Barracuda.

my uncle's procharged 440 made 800 at the tire, it's 3460lb with I believe 32/14.5 slicks.. been beating on it for years and the Dana is the only thing that hasn't needed touched

Wow an 850 horsepower Street strip car that sounds extremely impressive! I would say my strip car is about 425 horsepower. It's not the strip part that I question, it's the street part with 850 horsepower? I mean really high 8 second car on the street that's going to be a lot of fun or will it?
Wow! Some nice numbers! I was looking to do the street/strip thing with about 850hp and 315 drag raidals, some are saying i need a 9".

let's just say, we can break it if we want. nothing is indestructible. but, the 60 and 9" come pretty close.

and the dana 70 is a fair bit stronger but only slightly bigger and uses the same back cover .

Waaay back I considered a 9". One thing that bugged me was the centered pinion. To fit the driveline properly one axle would have to be noticeable longer than the other. Didnt like that,upset my sense of order and balance. Make the rear suspension look funny.LOL!

we went to a S60 from Dr. Diff after we continued to twist axles and knew with the power we were putting down (launching off T brake 3800-5500) that the "set it and forget it" route would be the D60. I do like to play with combinations, and it would be much easier to set up complete 9" center sections, but it is what it is. So far I have 4.30, 4.55, and eventually I'll set up my 5.13's too. Once you have the shim packs changing gears is no big thing..... however, set up on your back in the garage..... not so fun! At least the S60 has side adjusters instead of the shim packs like the stock units.

we went to a S60 from Dr. Diff after we continued to twist axles and knew with the power we were putting down (launching off T brake 3800-5500) that the "set it and forget it" route would be the D60. I do like to play with combinations, and it would be much easier to set up complete 9" center sections, but it is what it is. So far I have 4.30, 4.55, and eventually I'll set up my 5.13's too. Once you have the shim packs changing gears is no big thing..... however, set up on your back in the garage..... not so fun! At least the S60 has side adjusters instead of the shim packs like the stock units.
What axels were you twisting? What kind of power were you running?

4mopwr, I hope it´s ok to bust in to your thread with a question...
Since you guys have the experience... what do you say? I still haven´t change the axles in my SS/B Nostalgia Barracuda Build. Car is very close to how they ran in ´68-69. Race hemi (600+ hp) 4-speed and B-Body Dana with 4.88 gears. Slicks will be 10.5" in my case.
Question: should I change axels, or will they handle this relatively milde version of an´68 SS A-Body? Car will se only Nostalgia and exhibition racing...
Thanks,
Stefan

Last edited:
Paint a white stripe on each axle so you can easily check for twist and run em.

4mopwr, I hope it´s ok to bust in to your thread with a question...
Since you guys have the experience... what do you say? I still haven´t change the axles in my SS/B Nostalgia Barracuda Build. Car is very close to how they ran in ´68-69. Race hemi (600+ hp) 4-speed and B-Body Dana with 4.88 gears. Slicks will be 10.5" in my case.
Question: should I change axels, or will they handle this relatively milde version of a´68 SS A-Body? Car will se only Nostalgia and exhibition racing...
Thanks,
Stefan
If it was my baby I would spend the $$ and go with 35 spline axles rated at 1000hp. I've seen too many people hit the wall when they lose an axle.

Another thing to do is when installing the axles line the wheelstuds up from side to side. Its a way to watch for twist when the studs no longer are in line. An axle will twist very noticeably before it breaks.

-
Back