Dana 60 vs 8 3/4 -Steve Magnante Hemi Dart

-
Steve is a interesting Guy. We did a few Slant Six races together. Smart.

Steve is a interesting Guy. We did a few Slant Six races together. Smart.
He is either Really dumb . Or a good Liar. Watch the videos. I believe he is smart just a liar.

One video he tells you how to identify a true 340 car and the next he lies about one. Can you believe anything he says??? Watch and listen!

He is either Really dumb . Or a good Liar. Watch the videos. I believe he is smart just a liar.

One video he tells you how to identify a true 340 car and the next he lies about one. Can you believe anything he says??? Watch and listen!

He has wrong or incomplete info in both videos.

In the first video about the Dart Sport, there was no mention of the partial V.I.N. stampings on the rad support or the trunk gutter on the driver's side matching the V.I.N. on the dash.
And he mentioned that the car had manual drum brakes on the front.
All V8 A-Body cars from '73 and newer had bbp discs up front.
Unless they were changed to drum brakes, this info is wrong and misleading.

Video #2 about the '71 340 Duster is way off.
The easiest tip off that the numbers wad been changed on the dash is the gauge cluster and trim on '71 340 cars were always the rallye instrument cluster and trim, not the standard cluster.
In fact, the hole for the rallye cluster is bigger on the real 340 cars, so to put a standard one in would require a lot of work to do it properly.
The grille is the wrong one too, but that is easily changed as the car is customized a bit anyway.
Also, there is no mention of the fender tag and the body stampings either.
IMHO, the car is a tag swapped car.

I do think that Steve Magnate is a knowledgeable guy, but he missed it on these videos.

Maybe I should have said Smart ***. Yes I do notice all the mistakes in the videos.
He punches them out daily and makes money doing it.I've called out many magazine car guys about their mistakes.
No skin off their nose.They still get paid. One told me "We just make things up to fill the page.

Maybe I should have said Smart ***. Yes I do notice all the mistakes in the videos.
He punches them out daily and makes money doing it.I've called out many magazine car guys about their mistakes.
No skin off their nose.They still get paid. One told me "We just make things up to fill the page.
Which "one" said that??????????? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone notice the two fender tags stacked on top of each other on that red car. I dont think I have ever seen two tags on an A body and never stacked like that.

Stupid idea everything that they say on these shows their scripted everybody don't know everything but one thing he did was an actual test between the two rears and the same result he got with the same result we got when we did the exact same test way before he did it

That's interesting. A 50lb weight reduction on an 11 sec car should reduce ET by a couple 10ths? But of course some of this weight reduction is drivetrain rotating weight. Which in testing with flywheels? Lighter doesn't always equate to faster.

My A-body has an 8 3/4" rear. My B and E-bodies Dana. And I haven't a complaint with either. I would be interested seeing same test with 600+ HP. And even more relevance? Manual transmission vs automatic? We have been told that Manual transmissions are rougher on rear-ends? (Manufacturers mention primarily due to driver habits.) But I personally have no evidence to substantiate that claim against clutch cars?

Anyone notice the two fender tags stacked on top of each other on that red car. I dont think I have ever seen two tags on an A body and never stacked like that.
Seeing how the car isn't new, that shouldn't surprise anyone.

I had a 71 demon two tags side by side three holes. And I had a 74 sport , sun roof , AC , bucket seat car tagged the same way as above. It was a rust bucket not worth saving. Jim and I split the parts. What was left anyway.

loaded Demon orange d 001.jpg

Loaded Demon orange f 001.jpg

Loaded Demon orange g 001.jpg

loaded orange demon c 001.jpg

DSCN0251.JPG

DSCN0256.JPG

DSCN0252.JPG

DSCN0253.JPG

lmao, and here I thought the great discussion would be all about the video subject, not non-discretionary defaming, but hey people do not want to disappoint. Glad it wasn't about somebody's Uncle.

I think the video is cool - and pretty good info for some of us with cars at a power level that might start tweaking our 8 3/4 housings. I wonder if he had a second driveshaft already cut for the 8 3/4 - or did he just "wing it" and make his original driveshaft work with a length not optimized? I was under the impression that the shaft would be shorter when using the dana 60 - and maybe a little too short for the 8 3/4?

I think the video is cool - and pretty good info for some of us with cars at a power level that might start tweaking our 8 3/4 housings. I wonder if he had a second driveshaft already cut for the 8 3/4 - or did he just "wing it" and make his original driveshaft work with a length not optimized? I was under the impression that the shaft would be shorter when using the dana 60 - and maybe a little too short for the 8 3/4?
When we did our test we had two different drive shafts

At that power level I would not pull an 8 3/4 out for a Dana infact if you've got a fake hemi heads on a wedge who gives a damn what you say.

Last edited:
Steve's a really cool guy and very, very knowledgeable with many makes. Not just mopars. Obviously this is like Facebook and we just rip apart every word or action someone does. Certainly not a stupid guy.

I parted out a 74 Dart Sport with 2 tags . It was THE most loaded slant /6 I have ever seen ! A/T Console, buckets , sunroof , fold down rear seat , sport mirrors , A/C , Power Disc Brakes , Power Steering , Rear Defroster , map light , interior hood release , Rallye Wheels , triple stripes .... I regret parting it out and dont know why I didnt save the fender tags .

Did anyone else notice how unstable that Dart was going down the track ?
I got anxious just watching it !

-
Back