Dana 60 with upgraded slant six

-
So I keep finding information about guys having to move their dana 3/4 or 1 inch back. Why is that? Is the axle not centered with the well?

So I keep finding information about guys having to move their dana 3/4 or 1 inch back. Why is that? Is the axle not centered with the well?
darts dont have the axle centered in the wheel well. I've moved back the last half dozen i've owned. It looks better and fits a taller tire.

Do you know if this is just a dana thing? I never noticed it with the 7 1/4. I'll check it tomorrow.

Do you know if this is just a dana thing? I never noticed it with the 7 1/4. I'll check it tomorrow.
It is an every 67 to 76 dart thing. Ive never owned an earlier one so I cant say.

True. I definitely am trying to minimize the cost. Keep it below 2k what ever I decide.:thumbsup:
Just food for thought for You, when Mopar was testing it's B/RB Purple Shaft cams, they used a Dart Sport IIRC w/a 400 B engine auto & an 8.25" SG rear.....launch after launch after launch.
As I've posted before elsewhere, when I decided to put a '68 B-body 8.75" in My ex-Popo Diplomat, I went out on the ridge the night before pulling the SG 8.25" & tried to break it, 383 4-speed tach it up dump the clutch power shift into 2nd stop as soon as it quit spinning & do it again.....over & over & over..... so many times We finally left before one of the farmers called the real Popo!!!! My buddy was there with His truck to pull Me back home....never happened. Granted, this wasn't on a prepped track w/slicks, but I beat the bageezus out of that rear including bottles of N2O. Best value for You is 8.25" Mopar or 8.8" Ford.....Folks want a lot for A-body 8.75" these days. Best of luck whatever You decide, peace!!!

Hello, curious if anybody has come across this dana 60.

74762 4X DANA - LIGHT VEHICLE CARRIER ASSEMBLY MOD 60 RATIO 3.55​

It's sold by Iron Wing Sales. Looks like a good deal, minus the axle tubs,axles,bearins,seals,cover,housing ends.

A slant six with a Dana 60 makes as much sense as N-50-15s on a slant six Duster.

All good information. I too agree the dana would be a selling point. My concern would be the gas tank. I might be able to adjust it.
I had a 70 Duster that I put a Strange 60 into from Dr Diff. Very much an upgraded Dana. Just about a bolt in swap for my 8.75. Got an upgraded driveshaft but other than that the only thing I had to do was to clearance one of the rear cover aluminum fins so it would clear the fuel tank sender electrical plug. Other than that, I used existing BBP rear drum brakes & U bolts. I did also upgrade my rear springs to complete the project.

I bought an 8 3/4 today. 1973 B200. Now i've got to get this housing narrowed.
look at Jeep XJ cherokees, they have 8.25" rear ends, and are 59.5" wide drum to drum (about 2" wider than an A body 8.75). it should center the wheels about perfect in a duster/dart sport with factory offset rims, and should be able to fit at 255/60R15's, maybe all they way up to 275/60's. Auto's came with 3.55 gears, manuals 3.07's, and tow package 3.73's. just need a 1310/7260 conversion U joint if you use a stock 8.25" A body driveshaft.

I've found a number of auto tranny axles within a 40 mile radius of me for under $200.

A slant six with a Dana 60 makes as much sense as N-50-15s on a slant six Duster.
Makes as much sense as a Dana 60 in anything stock Chrysler ever made and yet they did it anyway. Overkill was the whole point.

-
Back