Dangers of spray foam in body panels?

-

hk_sg1

Reaction score
I've read several places online about folks using Great Stuff spray foam to back holes being patched by body filler or fiber glass - and everyone says it will trap moisture, which I could see happening. I wonder about the Great Stuff Pond and Stone foam though. I don't want to patch holes, but would love to have something filling the void between the trunk extention turn down and the inside quarter panel. The thing about the Pond and Stone stuff is it's water/moisture proof, unlike the other stuff they make. I'm just tired of crap falling into the the corners. I'm POR-15ing or Rhino lining the entire trunk area anyways to help cover the floor I'm welding in. Maybe sealing the metal first THEN foaming it? or use the water proof stuff and paint/spray over it? Don't want to fill it with fiber glass, but guess it'd be an option too.
Input or opinion guys and gals

They are right, Its going to hold moisture and keep rotting. Do it right, Use new metal.

Attachments

• 544.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,081
I like the way Lincoln and others use the foam for sound deadening in body panels.
The foam is enclosed in a plastic bag so it is removable.
The very best way to prevent quarter panel rot is to keep the moisture out / fix the water leaks.
Then again, I've seen lots of newer vehicles ( 96 Camry for example ) with water standing in similar areas but no rust. A lot to be said for paint as protection.

why don't you want to restore it the right way?
Ok, what did Chrysler use to keep crap from falling into the valley between the trunk extention and the quarter?
I didn't say I was using it to patch a panel, I was asking about using something to prevent trash/water/etc from getting into the void.

Ok, what did Chrysler use to keep crap from falling into the valley between the trunk extention and the quarter?
I didn't say I was using it to patch a panel, I was asking about using something to prevent trash/water/etc from getting into the void.

higher end dusters/demons had a "trunk dress-up" package, it was a series of plastic panels that mounted inside the trunk and covered the sides and tail panel area.

They essentially prevented stuff from falling down between the extension & quarter, hid the tail lights & wiring, and made the inside of the trunk look more sleek. My '72 Demon has the dress-up package (can't remember the true name for it though).

Or you could just weld a plate from the extension to the quarter, covering those openings.

I'd rather have a bunch of "crap" falling into the voids than looking a trunk full of spray foam.

I wont prevent water from getting down there......it will only trap it. Have an interior panel built to keep it free of debris.

higher end dusters/demons had a "trunk dress-up" package, it was a series of plastic panels that mounted inside the trunk and covered the sides and tail panel area.

My Sport has the panels, they are made from a thick stiff paper type material and covered in carpet. The sides have a "flap" if you will, that extends under the trunk floor carpet. It contains debris to the trunk area and can be vacuumed out.

My Sport has the panels, they are made from a thick stiff paper type material and covered in carpet. The sides have a "flap" if you will, that extends under the trunk floor carpet. It contains debris to the trunk area and can be vacuumed out.

Mine are made of plastic, with a grain type surface (like the a-pillar trim). I wonder when they changed to the hardboard/paperboard type panels?

either type is a nice addition to any Duster/Demon/Dart Sport though. apparently they're pretty rare though. I've got 2 Dusters, 2 Dart Sports and 2 Demons, but only my '72 Demon has the panels.

Actually if all your doing is filling the void between the inner panel and trunk,you could use cording ,either rope or packing rope. This way it can be pulled for inspection when you want. Not a bad idea . I pulled all kinds of crap out of my seams.

Get a trunk mat out of a full size car and the extra couple inches can curl up the sides to cover the trunk extension void.

if you put a new trunk weather seal in and adjust the trunk lid properly you shouldn't get anything in there once you repair your rotted quarter panel and wheel house (new metal .epoxy prime, caulk your seams, undercoat the back sides, and paint the outside. if you do that the right way. it should last another lifetime

What I did was build a trunk floor cover much like you see in modern cars. I cut it out of melamine glued carpet to it and cut a "hatch" to get to the spare tire. I did not permanently affix it but it really dressed the whole trunk area.

I know what you mean about crap falling down there, its really hard to get out once it gets down there!

Glad to know that gap between the quarter and trunk extension is normal! I am in the process of test fitting my new quarter and that huge gap made me think I really screwed something up.

don't spray foam. having replaced quarters and trunk extensions on my duster due to the previous owner thinking spray foam was a good idea. I can vouch that it does infact hold moisture and can reek havoc on the metal.

what i am planning on doing (and what others have mentioned) is completely finishing off my trunk. Im going to build a light weight wooden framing along each side of the trunk and I am then going to affix carpeted panels to the framing so that everything is clean looking and hidden. I will probably also build a hindged access panel at the back side ( the cavity behind the back seat) where I can keep my rear mounted battery to keep it hidden.aswell as any supplies (fuses,couple tools maybe...ect...ect...) just to keep it clean looking.

No no no no, do not do that. ever.

IMG_0223.jpg

what we did on an AWB falcon we recently finished is cut a peice of aluminum (.040 thick) flush up against the 1/4 and then 1/2" over the top of the extension.

you can just screw the aluminum into the extension but on the 1/4 side make a couple of 1" wide 1x1 tabs (so an L tab with both "legs" being 1") and epoxy glue them to the 1/4 level to the floor...

now just screw the aluminum on that side and you now have removable covers...

I thought you wanted to use it to fill in rot not just to fill in the void. Some new cars have spray foam in bags to fill in voids and act as a sound deadener. Line the void with a plastic shopping bag first. Dont use to much though, it may push the panels out.

I wouldn't use spray foam on anything good but it is your car.I have used it when I was younger and needed a way to get a old truck through mvi .If all you want is to keep crap out of there I would go get some foam pipe insulation.Home depot has different sizes I'd think the size to go over a 3/4"to 1" pipe would work well. You can tuck it in as it's grey in color it wouldn't stand out and it would keep crap out but be removable so as you can still rust coat or clean if need be.

My 66 Cuda has hard card board material formed to go around the trunk floor/qtr panel
opening, then covered in carpet. Looks nice. Also have 65 Fairlane 500 that uses fiber
board material(factory)laying flat over opening & screwed to trunk floor.

-
Back