Dangers of spray foam in body panels?

-
I know what you mean about crap falling down there, its really hard to get out once it gets down there!
This is why the lower quarters and trunk extensions are getting replaced on my car. Someone dumped a box of nails down there and left them for a few decades.

Here's what my trunk looks like with the cardboard panels and no carpeting over top of them.. The cardboard flaps actually stick out into the trunk foor a good inch or so. It covers the openings between the rear quarter and the trunk floor. The carpet on the trunk floor is marine carpet, not glued down..

Attachments

• Trunk 5a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 153
Chrysler did use expanding foam inside of body panels on the 2001-2007 RS minivans. It is inside the panel at the bottom of the rear hatch opening.

Don't use anything that's going to hold moisture even if there are no leaks. Humidity can cause moisture. The air has to circulate.

19 Again has the right idea there the air can circulate and dry it out. By the way nice job!

If the paint is properly adhered and the foam is applied to the entire surface how is moisture going to cause damage? It is no different than current home spray foam insulation. They coat everything in the walls and attic rafters with it. Since it seals tight against whatever it is applied to it prevents moisture from getting to cause damage. The key is to prevent water from gaining entry. There is supposed to be a body plug at the bottom of the area in question. Install one of the fancy ones that has a water drain built into it and everything should be fine.

-
Back