Dante's Mopar Parts Vinyl Top

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a top from them?

My top came in yesterday and it appears that it was drop shipped from "KEE Tops" in NC.

I was told Dante's was a legendary interiors dealer, so I guess that is what I was expecting.

Yes, I received my top last week from Dante's. It came directly from Legendary. When I ordered it. I believe he told me Kee is the manufacturer for Legendary.
BTW ordering it from Dante's they got it to me two weeks faster than Legendary quoted me go figure.

Yes, I received my top last week from Dante's. It came directly from Legendary. When I ordered it. I believe he told me Kee is the manufacturer for Legendary.
BTW ordering it from Dante's they got it to me two weeks faster than Legendary quoted me go figure.

Good to know. It looks nice and the boar grain looks great. Just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, I haven't opened mine yet. Probably should. My car is at the body shop. Did you get a price to install yours or are you going to do your own.

I did my headliner and that was enough. lol. I am going to pay someone to do the top. i got a quote from a good upholstery shop and they said $700 without the trim install

Is that the only quote you got. Seems pretty steep.

So far, yes. I get worries with that kind of work, tho. This shop is very reputable. I had them recover my boat seats and my dash pad.

I will probably get a few more quotes just to be sure.

So far, yes. I get worries with that kind of work, tho. This shop is very reputable. I had them recover my boat seats and my dash pad.

I will probably get a few more quotes just to be sure.
Yeah, I hear ya. I got two. One was 300 and the other 500. The one guy has done work for me before. Nothing worse than messing up a $300 top.

I did my headliner and that was enough. lol. I am going to pay someone to do the top. i got a quote from a good upholstery shop and they said $700 without the trim install
Id attempt a vinyl top before another headliner. Glue it and smooth it? Seems it would be a straight forward install, then trim and install edging? Someone tell us how you did it. $700 seems high but I never did one. Id gladly spend 200 labor for someone to install another headliner. That's some F'n craftsman work.

Last edited:
Id attempt a vinyl top before another headliner. Glue it and smooth it? Seems it would be a straight forward install, then trim and install edging? Someone tell us how you did it. $700 seems high but I never did one. Id gladly spend 200 labor for someone to install another headliner. That's some F'n craftsman work.

The thing for me was the headliner could be stretched and set before gluing the sides. The vinyl top feels like a one shot deal. Lol.

I used to glue laminate onto cabinet material. Used a spray gun and contact adhesive to spray the boar to lay 8X4 pieces of laminate onto particle board. Talk about a one shot deal! We laid 5 foot dowels across the board every foot and then laid the laminate on top. Once we got it straight (many had linear patterns on them that had to be straight with the wood side) we removed the center dowel and pressed the center down to hold the panel straight, then we removed one dowel at a time moving outboard and pressing the laminate onto the wood. That way we could control the laminate and make sure there were no bubbles. We would then vigorously roll it to make sure all the laminate was bonded. That stuff would not come up.

I figured no way I'm doing my vinyl top. $700 seems very high, especially if you are supplying the top material. Are headliners really that bad? I've been back and forth. Once I took mine out (71 Scamp with bow-type headliner) I figured it couldn't be that bad??

Headliners with bows arent glued in?? So I would give it a try? May mess it up, but it's not permanent. Just dont cut anything until you're sure.

Headliners with bows arent glued in?? So I would give it a try? May mess it up, but it's not permanent. Just dont cut anything until you're sure.

Uh, you might be right lol. I pulled mine last year and I can't recall but I'm sure it was. There was dried up 40+ year old residue all over the roof ceiling. I'll definitely shop around on prices for an installer to do it. Pishta is right, if can be done for $200, probably worth it.

Yep $200 would be worth it, if it's done properly. The residue might be from insulation? Not sure the year make or model when they went to a solid type headliner?(fabric glued onto cardboard)

I started looking at my photos when taking the headliner out. I think only the edges were glued. Insulation panels glued to the roof, but the headliner was not glued to the mdf board (or whatever material they are) sail panels. Although there was glue behind the sail panel boards and I don't recall why. The headliner and boards all came out intact. (headliner got ruined though...mice chewed holes in it and a section of insulation for nest/bedding.) Here are a couple photos showing what I was dealing with. It took time to remove but wasn't terrible. Install I'm sure that's a completely different story.

20180722_151031[1].jpg

20180722_160847[1].jpg

20180722_145239[1].jpg

20180722_145308[1].jpg

20180722_145637[2].jpg

-
Back