Dany gets a racing stripe, or how to seal a gas cap?

-

motorpirate

serial mopar owner
Reaction score
Well apparently after 54 years the old Cuda gas cap gasket isn't sealing any more.
I know this is kind of an early A thing but this is the first time this car has ever leaked out the cap after a fillup.
What have you all done to correct this?
Does someone make a repop gasket for our original cap?
Anyone had success with the derilin adapter to attach a flip out cap on an early A?
Any thoughts appreciated as we want to correct this BEFORE the paint is repaired!!!
20200520_131507.jpg

I'm sure there are better ideas, but I cut an inner tube to match the old seal and then installed it.

Filler Tube Conversions
FIX THAT QUARTER PANEL FUEL SPILLAGE !!! Here we have converted filler tubes for 1963-66 A-Body Mopars (Darts, Barracuda's, Valiants) that will eliminate that fuel spillage on the Newly painted quarter panel. Our conversions include original filler tubes that have been converted internally so that you keep that stock look, New filler tube tool, New filler tube to body gasket and even a New filler tube vent line. Road tested for over 6+ years and counting on various A-body models and up to 70mph on Highway onramp cloverleafes.

P.S. CORES>We accept good cores only - must not be broken, ripped, torn, excessive rust (cancer), or warped to qualify as a good core and MUST be submitted with 90 Days of Invoice Date!!!!

RN-636AFTC....1963-66 A-Body Filler Tube Conversions (with core exchange)….$179
RN-AFTCORE....Core Charge....$120

Cap is vented so potential for leaks. Someone on here makes a baffle to install In the filler tube

I got a gas cap from damraider about 5 years ago,not a single problem since. Plus it looks fantastic.

I fixed my 67 dart cap by buying a mid 60s, 70s ford pickup fuel cap. Drilling out the center and removing the gasket. Picked out all the old gasket from my 67, put it on over the center and haven't leaked a drop since.

My guess the 65 mustang gasket would work just as as well, what I liked about the truck cap is the center hole was smaller than the center of the 67 cap and wedged itself between the center and the springy diaphram

Aren't repos made for the entire cap?

Last edited:
Ahh, mine had that too when i bought it. Copper paint over light blue primer? Looked stupid. Iirc a 67 cap will fit if you file the tabs down a mm. Maybe....? Ill have to look at my adapted one when i get home. My 57 Ford did the same thing but the tank filler was behind the license plate, nice and low. You fill it up and pull away and you leave a nickle a foot trail down the road like a fuze.

Cap is vented so potential for leaks.

Not correct. The first A-bodies to use any kind of a vented cap were the '70 California models, which used a pressure-vacuum cap (expanded to 49-state/Canada cars for '71). Prior to that, the A-body caps were not vented. The tank vent was provided separately.

OP: If you can find a hardware store with a good selection of Hillman boxes (plastic or metal sliding divided lift-lid boxes, each containing a different kind of hardware—washers, pins, nuts, screws, corks, fittings, etc) you will probably find the exactly-right-size Neoprene rubber washer. Remove the old cardboard washer from your cap. Make sure the brass tension plate behind it isn't cracked (if it is, this cap won't seal). Heat up the new washer (drop it in a pot of boiling water or boil it in a jar of water in the microwave) and stretch it over the centre hub of the cap until it's evenly in place. Done.

-
Back