Dart 273 w/two barrel ?'s

-

fireman

Reaction score
Just bought a 65 dart GT with a 273 w/Two barrel carb. It was an elderly mans and he sold it to me yesterday and hadn't been run much or worked on for the last 2-3 years. It actually runs pretty well but seems to idle a bit high and probably needs a little TLC. Since I am new to this, I am looking for suggestions on a tune up. I feel comfortable with simple stuff like changing spark plugs and distributor, etc...What should I do though. Take it in and get a pro to do a deep tune up, take care of it myself, change any parts? Let me know.

Very nice. I started my Mopar madness with a '66 Dart with a 273 2-bbl. I'd suggest for starters, change the fluids and filters, then take inventory of what kind of condition the car is in. Take the car out for a drive and slide a clean piece of cardboard under it to check for leaks. Take the drums off and check the brake linings, maybe even bleed the brakes to get the crud out of the system and refresh the fluid. Take a good look at the exhaust to see that it isn't leaking. While you're under the car, check the front end bushings to see if they are holding up. On the ignition, pull the plugs and read them. Check the points and timing.

With a good understanding of what's right and wrong with the car, you can come up with a plan for prioritizing what you can fix and what you'll have to pay someone else to fix. It's an adventure. Have fun.8)

Congrats Fireman on a great find and welcome to the site! Good advice from 2 Darts, I would add that upgrading to electronic ignition will give you lots of benefits, and it's cheap.

Spray the carb / accelerator linkage with PB Blaster or something similar and make sure the carb return spring is in good shape. My 66 idled fast and here it was the carb was gummed up.

Check for split hoses going into the carb. A vacuum leak will cause it to not want to idle.

Take the air cleaner off and get yourself a can or 2 of spray carb cleaner and dowse the carb including inside the bowl while the car is running.

Buy a nice book and dive in. Maintenance, like tuneups, is not that complicated and timing lights can be found pretty cheep. If you do the work yourself you will know more about problems that may occur when you are not near a mechanic.

Enjoy your new car and take care of it.

PS. if you get tired of it, let us know, there are many people here that would be glad to take it off your hands

I agree do the tune up your self, and learn as much about maintaining your car as you can, it really makes owning an old car more fun when you can fix it your self, and if you get stuck just stop back here I am sure you will find all the help and advice you need

Any service manual will be good reading. They pay for themselves.
Meanwhile drive it like you stole it. LOL
Any problems it has will make themselves known and you will be prepared.
With all the mods and upgrade that are possible and suggested here you'll be armed and dangerous. :) Happy Moparing

Get the three books described in this thread (on another board) and start a-readin'! You're likely to do a better job of tuning it up yourself once you have some basic knowledge and tools; the knowledge, equipment, and experience needed to properly tune an old car like this have pretty well disappeared from the regular commercial auto service industry.

-
Back