Dart 318 Header opinion

-

JAmes Dodge

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 318 Mopar with Crower cam http://www.crower.com/camshafts/mopar-273-360-la-pro-street-solid-cam-278-fdp.html, 9:1 cr, 650 mec carb, Weiand X-cel intake, ported heads with stock valve sizes, 4 speed.
I'm choosing between the Headman tight tube or Dougs D453-R headers, long tube header are out of question - I live in Brazil and need a good clearance to the ground.
If someone coud help me, I need to know if the Headman tight tube will hurt the performance, because the small diameter tubes/short tubes? Or must I have choose the Dougs - do you think the difference in peak HPs make it worth the Dougs highest price?

thanks!

Being a 318 and as mild as it is, the Hedman's will be fine.

If you go with the Doug's (they are long tube) get the d453, they will come coated already unless you want to try and do some work on the Doug's first (why I don't know).

Longer tubes provide greater benefit lower in the rpm range and shorter tubes higher in the rpm range. However even the shorty and block hugger tubes are at least as long as any of the cast iron small block manifolds - so in that respect the headers will not hurt performance.

I've run Pipemax for both stock 340 and with my current cam which is only slightly bit more radical than yours. So I can tell you that even for a bigger motor the 1.625" primaries are plenty big, and 2.5" Collector is OK. Ideally, you probably would be best off with 1.5" primaries, but ideally you'ld also be building equal length tuned headers out of stainless... In other words, I think for your purposes, you'll be fine.

TTI also has a shorty header in roughly same price range* and unlike the headman you won't have to modify it.
*depending on coating and shipping - the latter which I have no idea about how much that might add to your place.

If you're on a budget, the difference in power will not be enough to justify the difference in price. You'll likely never feel the difference. But your pocketbook certainly will.

Ok guys thanks for the answers!
I will take the Hedman shorty, would gave me a good difference in the final price here. Do you know if is mandatory swap the starter for a mini with the shorties?

thanks!

Do a search and you should find some pictures of the what is needed to make the Hedman shorties work. The problem is the exhaust dumps (collector) location is hardly any room to hook up the exhaust. My guess is access to the starter will depend on the exhaust routing as much or more than header itself.

-
Back