Dart cooling system

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart with a 340 , 4 speed and 4.56s. I have Aluminum heads and aluminum radiator. I have been hearing so many different answers and I need one right one. What's the best coolant to use for the iron block but aluminum heads and radiator? I was told Prestone pre mix 50/50 but I figured I'd ask this group , you guys never let me down. Thank you.

Oh boy, here we go. This will be a spirited discussion. HOAT, OAT, or ethylene glycol? (IAT) You may need to brush up on your chemistry.

Oh boy, here we go. This will be a spirited discussion. HOAT, OAT, or ethylene glycol? (IAT) You may need to brush up on your chemistry.
LOL , just looking for a right answer. I'm ready to add but don't want to add the wrong stuff.

LOL , just looking for a right answer. I'm ready to add but don't want to add the wrong stuff.
THe thing about the "right answer" is it depends who you are talking to. Even the manufacturers have had issues with their new coolant early on that was formulated for aluminum blocks, heads,and radiators. Cooling systems have had aluminum water pumps and thermostat housings for decades. Those parts usually corrode using the green coolant. May be with Dex-Cool they wouldn't? Who knows.

I would look to the coolant being used on newer vehicles that have cast iron blocks AND aluminum heads.

We all want a definitive answer but as Mike noted you will get at least 10 different answers.

The other thing to do would be to call the aluminum head manufacturer and ask for their recommendation.

Not the answer you were looking for. But there are numerous coolants on the market these days. That are vehicle specific.

People have been using Prestone forever.
No need to reinvent the wheel.
If this is a first fill use water.
Once no leaks are verified, then use antifreeze/coolant.

People have been using Prestone forever.
No need to reinvent the wheel.
If this is a first fill use water.
Once no leaks are verified, then use antifreeze/coolant.
I like it!! Not a first fill but there's red/orange in there from the previous owner. I want to make sure I get it all out of there to be sure its a clean slate.

I like it!! Not a first fill but there's red/orange in there from the previous owner. I want to make sure I get it all out of there to be sure its a clean slate.

There’s nothing wrong with orange, as it is designed for engines with more plastic and aluminum. (Newer engines)
I’m sure it would be fine as well.

Orange leaks. Look it up. GM had problems with it, and it's not all the same.
Leaked out of my engine right away. 3 years down the road, having changed to green, I had to tear my engine down. In the low spots of the block and radiator, orange was still in there.

Lotta damage is electrolysis.

When we checked antifreeze, looking for "clean and green, good to -35* ", - we'd also check PH and often give the coolant a little ph + or - when nec.
Simple litmus paper test, or "ph" pen .
(Swimming pool chems)
When a car blows a head gasket, the coolant can get very acidic from the combustion contaminants, but still looks brand-new.

If left acidic, nasty things happen, and ph adjustment is strongly recommended.

Last edited:
No, GM got a handle on it, Chrysler too. We don't have a handle on it. I literally had several leaking issues with it. That's when I hit the internet, found the issues with it and learned a little about water and PH. Reverse osmosis water is 1st, then distilled, and on down. Haven't had any issues with the green and Reverse osmosis water. In the end, people will do what they want.

So after a lot of research , I think I might go with this coolant. Looks like it's a great application for aluminum as well as a lot of other metals. A little pricey but I'll give it a go. Anyone have any info?

Screenshot_20240131_091835_Chrome.jpg

-
Back