Dart/Demon/Duster Exhaust Tips - help!

-

Old Country

Reaction score
Ok, I'm hopeful this will catch the eye of one of those old timer Mopar experts...
Question: "Can you tell me exactly WHY these have such an odd shape?"

Is it to magnify the sound or deepen it or increase flow or just because that's the way it is...?

I'm considering putting these on my Duster, buuuut they're not cheap and I don't NEED them anyway, but dang they're cool just the same.

I'll check back in a few days to see if this had any informative bites. :cheers:

Thanks guys, I appreciate whatever you can share.

Attachments

• Ex Tip 5.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Ex Tip 1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 340
  • Drive.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Engine.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 327
They do change the exhaust note a little. It's the same shape used in making the resinator tip found under earlier Commande single exhaust.
The rectangle end is the look they wanted behind the car, the center dianmeter is the amount of material required to create the rectangle, the reduced diamter fits the tail pipe.

99.9% for looks only.

They do change the exhaust note a little. It's the same shape used in making the resinator tip found under earlier Commande single exhaust.
The rectangle end is the look they wanted behind the car, the center dianmeter is the amount of material required to create the rectangle, the redused diamter fits the tail pipe.

I agree w/ Red, Ask anyone who's run fishtails on a harley, but not as dramatic a change. Keep in mind the size of your exhaust sys as a whole and what muffler(s) you (may) have will also define your sound

I have found that they do change the sound somewhat.
Maybe it's due to the fact that the exhaust exits straight out the back, but the rectangle shape does offer a better sound in my opinion.
They look good too.

I would definitely put them on your car, just don't buy generic look a likes that you find in chain auto parts stores.
They're really not that expensive for the right ones anyway.
JMHO,
Tom.

slight diference in sound,biggest thing atleast to me is the look, a big round tailpipe wont look as good as a ovalized or square exit,these shapes gives you the option to have more crome visible while still being part of the whole aperence instead of a round thing hanging under the bumber so to speak, hard do explain.

very good looking duster:prayer:

DARTNUT - The ones pictured above are $125 for a set and these are what I'm finding in Ebay and other sources. I've seen some for less, but discovered they were scratched. They don't give a manufacturer for these, but note they're stainless steel and approx 17" long.
"Can you please clarify what would be considered generic...?" No, $125 won't break the bank, ha... but if it's just for cosmetic appeal, I've currently other uses for that money on the car. Comments..? :-k

ALL - I decided to take a peek this morning and whoa... look at you guys! Thx much for the feedback and opinions. I work in the maintenance & engineering side of commercial aviation, thus tend to overthink everythings by habit, ha...

Technical angle: In aviation, understanding those things that impact airflow "pressure" and "velocity" are crucial. Concerning airflow within a confined space (like inside a jet engine or our exhaust systems): We understand that putting a 12" length of 1.5" ID exh pipe mid-stream in a 2.5" ID full system would be a big restriction in flow (the air slows down to squeeze in there, thus pressure rises = flow resistance). The opposite is true if we did the reverse..ie: 2.5" pipe on a 1.5" system....meaning: In that 2.5" ID section, the pressure would immediately drop, and the flow velocity would jump (more flow)... which also creates a moderate scavenging effect = a tad bit more power.

So knowing this, and looking at the shape of those tips, clearly the pressure pulse will drop when the exh flow enters those tips and the velocity would increase... which would logically increase flow and drop the pressure pulse (deepen the tone). The square tip does very little, but they do look great, ha..

So that's what I was thinking, but then "maybe I'm wrong", thus this query. Ya just never know; maybe there's an old Chrysler Engineer type in FABO and sees my question... wouldn't THAT be cool.

Thanks all. AND DARTNUT, let me know, thx much. ;)

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Ex tip 4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 273
Because they look 10 times as good as those stupid looking shotgun junk, and it is the way chrysler wanted it to look.Also the reproduction tips are much better than the originals , so do not pay big bucks for originals. I hope nobody gets offended i like factory look , its just me.

Don't the tips generate a square-wave exhaust sound instead of a round-wave one?

JK

I like the looks

Grant

This oldtimer called them back in the day,, "Chatter Boxes"

Old Country.....Thats me laying on my back under my 71 Demon.....I got my
tips on Ebay, and they are beautiful quality. First rate.

Wilson

Attachments

• i21363.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 218
  • end of season 008.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 195
  • end of season 007.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_3618 (1).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 076.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 196