Dart falls on it's face.

-

Badart

Reaction score
My motor seems like it is running out of fuel at high rpms sometimes. It can pull hard to 6K in first and second sometimes, but other times it seems like it is running out of fuel. It acts like someone turns off the key at around 5 K for a couple of seconds then it cuts up then runs normal.

Here is some specs on the motor. 318 9.0-1, 904, magnum heads, XE 256 cam, hookers, 3" exhaust, holley 4160 600 cfm, fuel cell with sump, holley red pump.

I have a fuel pressure gauge before the carb and I am getting a constant 5 1/2 psi and flows like a river when disconnected. I am running a high capacity fuel filter before the pump and another filter before the carb. I have checked both filters and they are clean. I am feeding my first filter from the fuel cell with 8an and also 8an to the pump, then I am going to 6an then to the factory fuel line. Is the factory fuel line too small to power my little 318? Should I step up to all 3/8"?

Is it popping through the exhaust, fall flat or does even the exhaust noise go away for a few seconds?

Your volume may be low, I installed a 3/8 sender and lines. Maybe the sock is restricted? But some like a flow issue if it is not ignition etc...

I think 3/8 is the solution if there are no restictions?
can you do a flow test into a gallon can to see wha the rate per minute is..

Is this a new problem on a current combination of new problem ona new combination? Did it just start this is what i guess i'm saying

Is it popping through the exhaust, fall flat or does even the exhaust noise go away for a few seconds?

It will cut up or pop and then I get out of the gas and it acts like someone shut off the ignition for a couple seconds and then run normal. It acts like it is starving for fuel. Ramcharger the car runs great around town and even with quick bursts of the throttle.

Maby you are running out of fuel \\ check your float levels.
If thats not it then maby it's to lean \\\ after you run it hard ,check a spark plug.

Your volume may be low, I installed a 3/8 sender and lines. Maybe the sock is restricted? But some like a flow issue if it is not ignition etc...

I think 3/8 is the solution if there are no restictions?
can you do a flow test into a gallon can to see wha the rate per minute is..

I am running a RCI foam filled fuel cell with an 8an connection. I have ran the pump into a gas jug with the carb fuel line and it will spray halfway across the room.

A Holley is happiest with 6.5-7 psi, do you have a regulator?

Edit: Just looked up the Holley Red, it should have a pressure adjustment.

If thats not it then maby it's to lean \\\ after you run it hard ,check a spark plug.

I have adjusted my float levels on both sides so the fuel will just start to run out the sight window.

I will look at the plugs tommorrow. Although it seems to be jetted about right.

the only thing I ever used the holley red elec pump on was a built slant that would be done around 5k.

buy a stock mech $16 and see what happens.

curious though, what jet combo?

and you know what spring pressures you started with?

the only thing I ever used the holley red elec pump on was a built slant that would be done around 5k.

buy a stock mech $16 and see what happens.

curious though, what jet combo?

I believe the primaries are 62's and I can't change the secondaries without installing a metering plate right? I don't know what squirter is on it or what secondary spring is in it. When I tore the carb down I just cleaned it and installed a gasket set.

I am not running a regulator, because of the red pump. Where is it adjusted at?

Aaaack! The pressure relief valve is externally accessible, not externally adjustable. Supposedly it's set at 7psi at the factory.

Sorry, never used a Holley Red. Just Holley Blues or Mallory pumps with regulators. 5.5 psi seems low though.

W&C has a point, 62 jets seems way lean. You would have go to a 4150 conversion kit to be able to change your secondary jetting.

and you know what spring pressures you started with?

I am running the chebby beehive springs. Guys say that they are good for up to .520 lift on the magnum heads. With my 1.6 roller rockers I am just over .490 I can't remember what the spring pressures are off hand.

I would think your fuel supply is ample with the 5/16 line. I was thinking like some of the others about valve float but I would definitely check things like timing, proper advance, plug condition/gap and reluctor gap.

Thanks guys. I will check all of these tommorrow. What size primary jets would you guys recommend to start with?

-
Back