Dart falls on it's face.

-
Well I tore apart the holley again today. I actually have 64's in the primarys and the power valve is a 6.5 I assume because of the 6 & 5 on it?

Well I tore apart the holley again today. I actually have 64's in the primarys and the power valve is a 6.5 I assume because of the 6 & 5 on it?

sounds good there with the jets , is the pv matched to your manifold vacuum?

get a pv thats rated 2'' of vac lower than the reading you get.

So many good guys here! Sounds like we will have it tuned up pronto!!

sounds good there with the jets , is the pv matched to your manifold vacuum?

get a pv thats rated 2'' of vac lower than the reading you get.

this is interesting! can u explain more on why??

This is right from Holley:

To properly size a power valve, take a vaccum reading at idle and if it is above 12" for a standard transmission a 6.5" will be safe to use. For automatic transmissions take a vaccume reading in gear at idle and if the vaccum is below 12" divide that in half for proper size. Example 9" of vaccume in gear at idle will require a 4.5" power valve.

to make sure it doesn't open at idle, it could be 1'' lower but 2 gives room for variances in rpm due to 'whatever' can sometimes happen.

no that even if you have to high a rating pv it'll only be open during idle, not at cruise going 40 mph er whatever cause the vac will be too high, but the idle can get dirty and through you off on plug color.

the 2'' lower than vac reading is 'in gear' btw, if it had stock convertor I'd start at half of the reading.

You'll just have to play wih it.

thats how I do it, I want the enrichment as soon as I can use it.

the pv's come in 1, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5 10.5

I have 6.5'ish vac @ idle with my 410 stroker so I use a 4.5

Personally I'd do the ign first and make sure fuel is getting burned before dumping more gas in it,but thats just me,lol..Im silly that way.:)

you need to have the fuel pressure gauge mounted where you can see it from the drivers seat. On the cowl or somewhere. Do that before anything else.

Thanks for the input everyone. In the last couple of days while the carb was torn apart I blew out all of the fuel lines and vent line and there was no blockage. I installed 66 primaries and a 35 squirter. Installed the chrome box. Checked the timing and set it at 18 initial and 34 total. Put a vacuum gauge on the intake and I am pulling 12" of vacuum with 1 1/2 turns out on idle mixture screws. So I guess my 6.5 power valve is dead on. I drove it to work today and I can tell a huge difference already even just cruising around. There is no bog at all. I got on it a few times up ot 5,500 a few times and had no issues. I think it is fixed, but I am going to order a holley blue pump and regulator just in case. I will need it anyway when I finish up the stroker. Thanks Guys. If there is anymore issues I will let you know. :cheers:

It is hard to tell, because of the jets and squirter that I installed. I am sure it has to help over the stocker 5k plus.

Lol,thats why I asked you to make one change at a time....anyways problem solved.

Hey no worries.It's your car and you get to do it your way burger king,lol...

-
Back