Dart ignition switch removal

-

moparbud66

Reaction score
I've been all through this Dart (and related threads) trying to solve the dreaded "no spark but one spark on shutdown". Now I'm into the column and can't find the trick to getting the mechanical part of the switch out. Suggestions? Previous link gives me an error. It's a 74.

I've been all through this Dart (and related threads) trying to solve the dreaded "no spark but one spark on shutdown". Now I'm into the column and can't find the trick to getting the mechanical part of the switch out. Suggestions? Previous link gives me an error. It's a 74.

I know some you have to have the key in the cylinder to get it out and some don't.
Is yours like one of these?

2wm3o7m.jpg

lock-removal.jpg

There's a very thin sheet metal cover on that lock rings center hub. Pick that cover off to reveal a cross pin. The pin is tapered so drives out only 1 direction. Your drift and hammer to the smaller end of the pin regardless of orientation. If the wheel was centered straight ahead, the master spline will be on top and the pin will drive out toward the door glass. Hope this helps

There is an excellent write up by AbodyJoe on this very board that's been here for YEARS

How To Install an Ignition Switch in 1970 Dodge Dart
That's the link that gave me an error yesterday. It comes up today. Anyway it does not matter. I had another switch in my box of spare parts. I plugged it in below the column and lo and behold.....one spark on shutdown! Still. A little more digging is in order. My ECU will start and run another car of the same year and swapping in the distributor from the other car still leaves me with no spark.

There's a very thin sheet metal cover on that lock rings center hub. Pick that cover off to reveal a cross pin. The pin is tapered so drives out only 1 direction. Your drift and hammer to the smaller end of the pin regardless of orientation. If the wheel was centered straight ahead, the master spline will be on top and the pin will drive out toward the door glass. Hope this helps
Thank you for the tip!

Trying to figure out if you got the no spark issue figured out

-
Back