Dart or Cuda?.... Daytona style

-

TeamDart

Reaction score
So we got some ideas brewing about.... thinking outside of the box....

We all know how much Dodge Daytona's are loved.... yes the Winged car.... we would love to buy one, or build a clone.... but as far as making a budget "racer" I don't think it's going to be comming true anytime soon...

So here's the next, non-logical thought in my head.... how about making a Dayonta style A-Body? No I haven't searched this board for this subject, but has it been done before?

We're pretty sure we want to try conquering such a project... for rally racing of course :cheers: I would "assume" that it would be beneficial building it off an A-Body platform.... weight is a huge factor there, we have built plenty of B-Bodies to know how heavy they can be.... and possibly with an A-body being so much "smaller" it could be even LESS wind restriction? An all Aluminum small block w/ a t56 tranny and a possible weight of around 2600 lbs could make it scoot pretty good on the top end correct?

Well here's my Dilema, I want to build a car like this off a '68 Dart platform... possibly '70 for the square back (could make a spoiler like decklid and 1/4 panels)

And my father would like to do it to a 67-69 Fast back Barracuda....thinking that it would be more aerodynamic because of the fastback?

Anywho, which ones do you guys think would be the better car to start off with? Yes it would be a tedious project, with alot of man hours of work.... but could be well worth it to see a project like this, for personality and road racing capabilities. I would probably buy a rear spoiler for a Daytona/Superbird and just section it, and have to make a nose piece for the front out of fiberglass/carbon fiber (I can make a pretty damn strong piece out of those materials).

So I would like to hear some opinions of how crazy we are, why it's not a good idea, why it is a good idea, and which bodies you guys would go with and why.... we got both of the cars sitting for something special, just need to know which ones...Could (gonna get slammed for this lol) lower the complete roof on the dart 2-3" inches as well.... even lower profile...

Tony

blowfish_1.jpg

I've been considering that actually, but you never know if it will look as good as it sounds.
Big Willie:

bw.jpg

2187369596_82691a3173.jpg

Come on are you serious.If you can't afford a wing car don't make one out of an A Body.
Jim

Wow:toothy10: that salt flat cuda is SWEET!!! The dart is so perfect it looks like it's factory. Very nice.

I just read that the salt flat cuda has had a engine change to a nascar based v-8 from the original 4cyl turbo setup

Hmmmm.... yes my photoshop skills are limited lol
dartphotoshop.jpg

wow. i have a 75 and do not like the front. post some progress as you do it so we can all see how you are doing it

Here are some Superbird details:

The Superbirds (and Daytonas) had different back glass. The glass was smaller and more rounded than on the stock cars. This was done for aerodynamic reasons.

The fender vents were not actually for venting air: they were for tire clearance when the cars ran hard into the corners.

The wing: I saw the wind tunnel test results. It is public knowledge that the wing provided downforce to the rear tires. The force began taking effect at about 60mph, depending on the angle dialed in. However, the unpublicised secret was the directional stability provided by the vertical stabilizers.

yep the vertical stabilizers work well in tight corners especially if some yahoo.is trying to push you around.the wing is all hand made,used 1" strips of pine for the ribs on the top and 3/4" steel square tubing for the verticals with studs to attach it to the body,make it strong as I have found I had to add x bracing to mine.sounds like it will be a fun build,good luck and keep us posted

figureeightcar.JPG

-
Back