Dart over heating???

-
OK you can stop lecturing. WE don't know what you have or have not done. But timing COULD VERY WELL BE the issue.

So I have a question. With all the rodeo's behind you, did you check that the dist advance IS NOT STUCK? Is the timing actually advancing up to say, 35-40* total?

One I am not lecturing,
But seem to be the one getting lectured for some reason. And yes the advance is working properly. I checked that one of the first things. Every time I check or set the timing on something I check that. But that is a very valid point. I have had that stick before on a 454 with an HEI. Boy did it run like you know what!!
I even bypassed the delay pot on the fire wall. I read allot about doing that. Seemed to run worlds better after that.

This is not quite true,

"Oh boy here we go again.

Don't change the thermostat temperature, The only thing a thermostat does is keep your car from running too cold. Lowering it does not increase your systems cooling capacity one bit.

There are higher flow thermostats that may help, but I would not change the recommended temperature."

When the thermostat is closed or restricting the coolant flow, the coolant in the radiator has more time to cool down before it returns to the engine.
This becomes evident in some cars that people took the thermostat out and the car gradually gets hotter and hotter.
Especially in town low speed driving, but if you have good airflow like driving faster or on the hiway then you are right about the thermostat keeping the engine from getting too cool.

Yea,
I have it sitting in there. LOL
I still need to mount it, and get a bigger fan. My fan is a 7 blade but it is two or three in. to small in diameter for the shroud. This heat has had me to tired by the end of the day to work on it to long.

Timing is part of the issue and I agree you have other problems but, why would you only have 5 deg of advance at idle? Don't you have a vacuum advance? I wouldn't have any less than 20 at idle, preferably more with a vac advance.

sounds kinda high for a car with a stock 2bbl cam. P)lus to run 20 int he will have to pull the dist apart and weld up the slots to keep the total down

But as it is over heating at idle,

Most of the over heating at idle problems I've seen or heard about were related to flow issues; either water or air.

If this car is stock, it didn't come broke from the factory and that's with no shroud.

Try washing the radiator exterior real good. Spray it down with Simple Green or good engine cleaner and hose the heck out of it. Be careful not to damage the fins with pressure or jetted spray. Wash from engine side forward. What does the inside look like?

It doesn't happen often, but if it set for long times, it could be the water pump's impeller or pump casing is rotted enough that at low flows it can't move enough water.

I don't think your fan spacing is too much. You can lose more efficiency being too close than a couple of inches away. If the fan is a couple of inches smaller than the shroud, that's only an inch or so on each side. The important thing is it should be IN the shroud.

Stated by Badsport in a previous post in this thread was. (The springs where installed to make filling of the cooling system faster on the production line.)

I was just wondering how a spring in the lower hose would make filling it go any faster. I just don't see any logic in this statment. Could you please explain this to me so I can better under stand how this made our job faster on the production line. It didn't make the hole under the cap any bigger then half the size of the hose. Thanks Steve

Most of the over heating at idle problems I've seen or heard about were related to flow issues; either water or air.

If this car is stock, it didn't come broke from the factory and that's with no shroud.

Try washing the radiator exterior real good. Spray it down with Simple Green or good engine cleaner and hose the heck out of it. Be careful not to damage the fins with pressure or jetted spray. Wash from engine side forward. What does the inside look like?

It doesn't happen often, but if it set for long times, it could be the water pump's impeller or pump casing is rotted enough that at low flows it can't move enough water.

I don't think your fan spacing is too much. You can lose more efficiency being too close than a couple of inches away. If the fan is a couple of inches smaller than the shroud, that's only an inch or so on each side. The important thing is it should be IN the shroud.

I like the way this guy thinks and he is right. When it rolled off the factory line it was just fine. Unless you have put some performance parts or changed something dramatically. What was there from stock should be sufficiant to cool.

I was just wondering how a spring in the lower hose would make filling it go any faster. I just don't see any logic in this statment. Could you please explain this to me so I can better under stand how this made our job faster on the production line. It didn't make the hole under the cap any bigger then half the size of the hose. Thanks Steve

Don't know, doesn't make sense to me either, but that is what several people have told me, including 2 old Chrysler employees.

If that isn't why it was there, please clarify.

It seems as if it were needed for another reason, you could still buy a hose with a spring in it. I'm pretty sure it was there to keep the lower hose from collapsing, and today's hoses are supposed to be made differently so it's not needed, but they aren't, they still collapse.

Other than that I have no idea.

Just wanted to let every one know that I got the fan shroud on early this am and have had it running for over 2 hours, and it is running nice and cool!! Right about were I would guess it should be on the gage! Still need to get a little bigger fat to fill the shroud better, but man am I happy! Thanks to all for there help!!!

Just wanted to let every one know that I got the fan shroud on early this am and have had it running for over 2 hours, and it is running nice and cool!! Right about were I would guess it should be on the gage! Still need to get a little bigger fat to fill the shroud better, but man am I happy! Thanks to all for there help!!!

I have an 18 inch 7 blade factory fan and two spacers.
One spacer is 7/8 inch thick and the other is 5/8 thick
I pulled them when I went to an oversized radiator with an electric fan so I'll never need them again.

-
Back