Dart Painted bumpers

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone painted the bumpers on their 67-69 Darts. My bumpers have seen better days and I was thinking of painting them the body color. I just painted the car and the bumpers just need help. I don't have the money for re-chrome right now and was thinking of the paint option.
Thanks!

Why not paint them with an aluminum color, make them look like a lightweight bumper?

I would rather have bad chrome then body colored bumpers. I think body colored bumpers look like crap.

x4 on the suggestions above if you just feel the deed to do something.

What color is your car? I like the idea of the aluminum color too, or maybe even satin black. Either one would look better than rusty ones. Paint em!

Like others have said, go with an aluminum color rather than body color. I think if you painted them body color it would look too much like something from the 80's.

I have fiberglass bumpers and had a friend that worked at a Subaru dealer spray them with some leftover silver from one of the cars they repaired. I really like how they came out and how the color blends so well with the grill.

Attachments

• dart4.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC00332-2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 432
I have 500.00 rechromed bumpers for my 74 swinger that I may or may not see one day, been over a year but anyways, if I ever need bumpers done again I will go the aluminum color or even chrome color powder coat.

The car is bright red, factory color for 68. I put a black bee stripe on the back to break it up some. I have painted bumpers body color on my old 71 charger and Barracuda and they looked good. I might have to look at the PPG book to find a bright silver. Still undecided though...

my glass bumpers were body color. I liked it on the orange car.
honestly the bumpers were only glass and painted because it was way cheaper then chrome. I am now in a similar dilemma with my valiant. I would love chrome bumpers, maybe I will try out the silver/aluminum and see what happens.

I will be painting mine flat black. Thought about painting them body color but decided not too. My car is painted PPG lime twist with a gold pearl. I love the chrome look but there are no local chrome shops. I have a spare set that I will eventually have chromed when $$$ allows

I don't think painted bumpers look good on 67-69's.

IMHO, they do look good on 70-72 Darts/Demons. Especially the front. I think it's because those cars have lower front valances and the edge of the bumper is sculpted into the front fender.

Usually, I think body color bumpers on a chrome-bumper car look like crap. Occasionally, it can be pulled off, but then that car had also better be perfect, so it looks intentional. On a driver quality car or anything less than perfect, I think it makes the whole thing look cheap.

Repop chrome ones if nothing else, if the car is nice so they wouldn't make the rest of the car look bad, otherwise, some sort of silver as suggested above. Of course if the car itself is silver, then you're stuck.

Black bumpers & painted bumpers make a car look cheap. To me it's like spray bombing the engine compartment flat black. If you have to paint them, make them look like some of the guys said and go with the lightweight aluminum look. JMO.

This is what i'm working on...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 294
  • 002.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 003.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 286
NICE....... I think red bumpers would be overwhelming. Silver to match grill and ralleys would look good. JMO.... By the way, what size are your rear tires?

it all depends on the color of your car with the red i would the chrome or aluminum paint but thats me

Rear tire are 255/60/15. I probabally have the room for 275/60/15's with my wheels. I jill really measure better when it comes time for a tire change.
I am going to run the buffer on the bumpers, like I did the paint and see if it will come out some and look a little better.

-
Back