Dart radio with thumb wheels

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
Looking to install a radio into my 1967 Dodge Dart 270. New repro faceplate doesn't work with my original radio - the repro has thumb wheels instead of knobs for dials. So I'd like to buy a radio that will fit my 67 dash that has such thumb wheels.

Working or non-working, though I'd prefer the radio didn't work as I plan to turn it into a Bluetooth radio to link up with my phone.

Looking to install a radio into my 1967 Dodge Dart 270. New repro faceplate doesn't work with my original radio - the repro has thumb wheels instead of knobs for dials. So I'd like to buy a radio that will fit my 67 dash that has such thumb wheels.

Working or non-working, though I'd prefer the radio didn't work as I plan to turn it into a Bluetooth radio to link up with my phone.
I'd have to see a photo. I thought the thumbwheel radios came only with the rally dash (like the Barracuda's had) Standard dash with rectangular speedo had the post/knob radio. Hopefully someone will step in and correct me if I am wrong.

I'd have to see a photo. I thought the thumbwheel radios came only with the rally dash (like the Barracuda's had) Standard dash with rectangular speedo had the post/knob radio. Hopefully someone will step in and correct me if I am wrong.

Dang - so, it wouldn't fit? Do you know of a radio that will fit? Pictured: dash in question.
EZIIYhSX0AALYyG.jpg

I have the radio only. No "L" brace for backside. Plastic chrome on buttons is in poor shape but diecast chrome frame on front holding the thumb wheels and the thumb wheels themselves, except for the on/off one, are not pitted. The on/off one has pits on it. Start a conversation with me with your phone number if you'd like pics. Digital camera died over the Memorial weekend and that is the only way I have of sharing photos at the moment. These are slightly different between Cudas and Darts chassis wise. Mine clearly says "Dart Solid State" on station dial.

I think the only way you could get a thumbwheel radio to work in a standard dash is to hack the openings up.

Let me change this thread to a normal thread so we can discuss your issue. You won't be able to just buy a radio and install it.

Let me change this thread to a normal thread so we can discuss your issue. You won't be able to just buy a radio and install it.
Oh, I'm aware - I'll have to use a router and carve out space for the thumb wheels.

Really, my preference would be to keep my 67 radio with its knobs. However, it'll look extraordinarily dumb in this bezel.

Last edited:
That isnt a rallye dash bezel. It's a regular 68/69 bezel. The good thing is the 68/69 radio hole is 1 big rectangle, and theres 2 dimpled holes for 2 big assed countersunk screws that thread into the radio holding it to the dash sheetmetal at the front and a support bracket holding it up from the bottom at the back

Just my two cent's worth, and it's your car to do with as you wish. But there's no way I would hack up the metal on the dash to put in a thumbwheel radio. You can sell that bezel to someone else for their car and get the right bezel for your car. I think I have a 67 radio squirreled away, I will send you a PM to discuss it.

Let's get some things streight here.

Are you willing to cut the metal of your dash to match the 68 up bezel?

Are you looking for a 67 bezel?

If you are willing to cut your metal dash then buy a 68 up thumbwheel radio, OR go radio delete (never saw one of those before)

Screenshot_20200528-140803.png

If you just need a 67 bezel they can be had but most have broken rear mounting tabs, but you can screw it in to the dash like the 68 up if you need to. That's the way mine is now.

If you have a post radio (67 ) 238 iirc
This is what it would look like BUT it says DART (or DODGE) where the Plymouth is. (Note the chrome buttons)
Screenshot_20200528-141054.png

Just to clarify, Is this what your dash looks like? This is a standard instrument package with the post/knob style radio. The bezels have round holes for the posts to go through and it is attached to the bezel with nuts and washers as well as a bracket on the rear. The bezel you have with the rectangular holes is for the thumbwheel radio won't work with your dash frame without modifications

67 dash.PNG

Just to clarify, Is this what your dash looks like? This is a standard instrument package with the post/knob style radio. The bezels have round holes for the posts to go through and it is attached to the bezel with nuts and washers as well as a bracket on the rear. The bezel you have with the rectangular holes is for the thumbwheel radio won't work with your dash frame without modifications

Here's the bezel I currently have. I've got the nice chrome paint from Alsa coming in and I was going to use it on the metal trim down the side of the car. Maybe I could use it for this?

TlA-oM27.jpg

How would I even go about installing a new bezel? Just use the Dremel and cut the old one out?
According to the photos of the used and NOS one I posted, it looks like they just pop out of the dash bezel.

-
Back