Dart Sport "Hang Ten"

-
I have one myself and it's my baby. They are pretty rare these days, BUT, not really worth much. There was one on eBay recently for about $6500, and it was pretty clean. I have found one or two per state, but as far as I can tell, they were the small block in your stable, meaning most ppl turned them into something else (motor swaps, etc). Kinda the Camaro of the Mopars. I like mine just for the uniqueness, everywhere I go ppl wanna see it and ask questions 'cause most have never actually seen one in person. I would say they are collectible, but $$ wise, nothing special unless you find someone who just HAS to have it.

yeah, this one appears to be a "parts car" of sorts, but I mean 1400 isn't very many, and half of those may not even be around anymore. hard to believe they aren't any rarer.

they are rare, especially one in great original condition, but they arent really a "desirable" A body so to speak. they are special in their own way. thats not to say that as the years go by they wont be worth anything. i know my run of the mill duster will never really be valuable, but im not in this hobby for what my cars are worth.

Ah so basiclly they slapped all the options my 73 has on it and some badges..... groovy. :)

really all the hang 10 package is , is the fold down rear seat and the stripe package. the buckets ,console, tuff wheel , and interior patterns, and the rallye wheels, chrome sport mirror. the giant sunroof was also optional. the /6 318 and 360 were all available in the hang 10

Attachments

• htd1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 613
really all the hang 10 package is , is the fold down rear seat and the stripe package. the buckets ,console, tuff wheel , and interior patterns. the giant sunroof was also optional.

I like that interior if I ever get the money to restore mine unless I sell it then I may " clone" a hang 10 car because i like the stripes. Mine already is a console, bucket seat, sunroof, lay down backseat v8 car so why not lol.

I like that interior if I ever get the money to restore mine unless I sell it then I may " clone" a hang 10 car because i like the stripes. Mine already is a console, bucket seat, sunroof, lay down backseat v8 car so why not lol.

i really like the interiors in these cars as well. that is the one thing that makes them somewhat desirable. the 360 hang 10s came with the dual snorkel hood scoop...i havent come across anything about the availability of a 4 speed.

i really like the interiors in these cars as well. that is the one thing that makes them somewhat desirable. the 360 hang 10s came with the dual snorkel hood scoop...i havent come across anything about the availability of a 4 speed.

As far I know (and , believe me , I'm the dumbest person you'll ever meet) , all Hang 10's were automatics , console-shift . The 3 speed and 4 speed transmissions weren't an option *because* of the console (no console with manual trans in U.S. market 'A' bodies post 1969 model year) .

The hood scoop was a Direct Connection part , not standard nor available from the factory on these ; however , some were retrofitted (just like the one I saw back in Spring 1974 on the showroom of the local Dodge dealership ; it also had the 360 ).

I've wanted one ever since I laid my 4 year old eyes on the one I saw in '74 ! I wanted for my dad to buy that car soooooo bad !

Who knows ; maybe there was one or two special order 4 speeds . Anything was possible with Chrysler back then :yawinkle: .

Oh , and Mexico-built , Mexican market 'A' bodies did have a console available in their '70 & later 4 speed "Super Bee" models (plus other unique attributes such as the '72-'74 'E' body "generic" steering wheel ).

As far I know all Hang 10's were automatics , console-shift . The 3 speed and 4 speed transmissions weren't an option *because* of the console (no console with manual trans in U.S. market 'A' bodies post 1969 model year) .

The hood scoop was a Direct Connection part , not standard nor available from the factory on these ; however , some were retrofitted (just like the one I saw back in Spring 1974 on the showroom of the local Dodge dealership ; it also had the 360 ).

that makes complete sense that because of the console, the manual shift was not available. i am by no means any kind of expert here, but i do my share of reading. im guessing the scoop could have been added by the dealer if one wished.... i also wish i had an order sheet sitting in front of me LOL ....those scoops sure look good though ...

Attachments

• htd4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 529
Why can't you put in a 4sp console?

Folding seat in the hang 10 doesn't look as condusive to getting laid back there as the FB fish.

Why can't you put in a 4sp console?

Folding seat in the hang 10 doesn't look as condusive to getting laid back there as the FB fish.

LOL...

i think it was just that they didnt more than they couldnt. that A body console basically remained unchanged for many years. i have seen four speed cars with those consoles... but again im no expert lol

i have two cars with 4 speed consoles one is a 67 cuda and the other a 69 dart, from what i can see is that it was not a simple set-up. i think it was more a cost and time thing for the factory.. the are a lot of parts involved and the shifter is unique. when i looked at a dealer handbook it shows the 4 speed console as an expensive option, so prolly why sales were scarce, plus it took a lot of assembly-line time to get it assembled properly. Plus i would imagine that it was not a popular option bcoz if you bought a hot new 4 speed car to race ..then the added weight, cost, and extra unique parts didnt make sense....

i have seen the 4 speed console available post-70 but only in the hustle stuff or accessories catalogs.

I have owned two hang 10 cars and parted one of them out. The tuff wheel and sport mirrors were options, not standard. One of mine was a slant six car and the other a 318 car. My favorite part of the car is the red dash, which I now have in my black dart. They are unique, but the are not worth a ton.
74dartsport2.jpg

As I recall from the lady that bought mine, the interiors are obnoxiously hard to restore. She ended up going nationwide to get what she needed.

I still don't think that the black carpet is correct.

And FWIW, I sold her mine on the last da of the Nat's in '03 for $800 with no title, and that was a 318, auto, A/C and I think it maybe had cruise? It ran fair, but I never drove it much.

I had people offer $600 for the damned taillight bezels, and my initial asking price on the car was $1500. It really did not attract too many shoppers. but was a relative solid and complete car.

i read somewhere that chrysler ordered yards and yards of deep pile reddish/orange shag carpeting specifically for these cars and that they molded them in house.... i dont remember where though..

this is from mopar muscle

The Hang 10 Dart Sport made its debut at the 1973 Chicago Auto Show, where it was displayed on a platform with surfboards and other beach paraphernalia. With the car in its proposed element, the Eggshell White A-Body was dressed in special decals and sewn with a one-of-a-kind interior that attracted show-goers. With the rear seat folded down, the little A-Body could fit a few short boards and still have room for a cooler and maybe a folding chair or two. Ironically, the term Hang Ten comes from longboarding, and this "space" in the Hang 10 couldn't fit a longboard

The package was a hit, and the following year it went into production for mid-1974, slated as a dealer-installed package. When car shoppers selected the "A63" Hang 10 option, they received orange shag carpeting, multi-colored woven seats, and door panels. The dash and standard console had some red paint, and the exterior received special Hang 10 decals, including a red and blue side stripe featuring a surfer on the rear quarter. All Hang 10s have the fold-down rear seat option and automatic transmissions. From there, buyers could pretty much do whatever they wanted with the options. The Slant-Six was the base engine, but the 318 and 360 with dual exhaust were available. A sunroof, "Tuff" steering wheel, vinyl top, Rallye wheels, and air conditioning could also be added, in addition to many other options. This almost ensures that there isn't a single Hang 10 like one another out there. Sadly, there is no documentation on how many were produced, adding to the allure of its rarity. However, it was discovered that just over 1,000 original decal package sets were ordered by dealers back in the day.

Read more: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...dart_sport_hang_10/viewall.html#ixzz1sWQy9NwQ

This was a very interesting read......... I always liked the Hang Ten, a friend of mine has one, now this makes me want to give him a call to see what he is doing with it.

I, to, have always like the Hang 10's. There was one at a used car lot back when I was in High School (in 84 or 85), I had a 71 Challenger and a 73 Duster at the time and would have loved to add to the herd but my parents would have had a fit.

I remember there being one in a local wrecker many years ago. I had no idea what it was at the time, but was certainly intrigued by the striping and funky interior. I could have got it for $500, but it needed work, and the front seats were MIA, so I passed. Not sure where it went, but a couple of years later when they were clearing the yard and closing up shop, I was walking the remnants of what was left there and you guessed it.. came across the seats. Was a 318 car, no scoop.

Grant

Like the Daytona/Superbird,Not too many buyers cared for the "10" or the "Spirit of 76" when they came out.I worked at a dealership back then in PA and they were just "too out there" for our local buyers.Many sat for months well into late 76 before being sold for less than $2200-$2400 just to get them gone.The Aspen became a hugh seller when released.That squashed the last of the Dart line and all were a hard sell.

Yeah, like I said, not a big $$ car by any means and collectible to the right crowd. Being a bit of a surfer myself I just had to grab mine. A buddy was about to send it to the scrap yard. Still building her now even as my daily. I think new interior is about $600, and that's seat covers and door panels. Still gotta get my Orange carpet for another $150....and then on to paint, decals, etc, etc. lol. Will be worth it though just for the reaction ya get. Mines a beater but always draws attention already. Glad I could save her.

-
Back