Dart Vinyl Top And Trim

-

Pompis

Reaction score
Hello fellow FABO member i'm going to restore my Dart Swinger 1973 to its original. According the fender tag the car should have vinyl roof which is gone including the trim. So my question is which year of Dart/Scamp vinyl top trim fits my Dart and do I need anything else than the trim and vinyl to install it? Thanks

If I am not mistaken any year Dart (from 67 up) 2 door hardtop uses the same vinyl top trim... you will also need the clips to hold the trim on.. I bought my vinyl top from Legendary, and got the trim clips from RT Specialties...

Is this the clips you are talking about? If so, I don't have any holes to fit these clips maybe the holes exist but it's either under bondo or welded over. I think it doesn't needs to be hard to locate this holes but i want to be sure first.

Clips_zps9c6be15f.jpg

Those are only half of the clips you'll need for '73. Call RT Specialties. He doesnt advertise a kit for the swinger, but he has them in stock. I just received mine both those clips & the plastic clips came in the kit for I think it was $24. Good luck

After every thing is clean and prepped might wanna consider a coat or two of epoxy primer.

I guess that you should use glue to attach the vinyl and that's why you prime the roof?

No you prime the roof so it wont Rot out as most Vinyl top cars do over time like my Duster did.

I believe I have all the trim in nice condition if you need them. Let me know.

If I am not mistaken any year Dart (from 67 up) 2 door hardtop uses the same vinyl top trim...
I believe there may be differences where the top ends on the A-pillar in some different years -of course, I could be wrong though lol.

I've seen some end at the top of the pillar, and some at the bottom

I believe there may be differences where the top ends on the A-pillar in some different years -of course, I could be wrong though lol.

I've seen some end at the top of the pillar, and some at the bottom

This is true.. but the trim pieces are still the same.. the differance is the piece for the a-pillar is moved to the bottom instead of being at the top of the a-pillar.. when you buy the top from legendary it comes with long a-pillars.. I had to cut them off for my car.. and I could be wrong, but i believe the vinyl going the whole way down the a-pillar is 70 and up.. but it doesnt matter either way.

This is true.. but the trim pieces are still the same.. the differance is the piece for the a-pillar is moved to the bottom instead of being at the top of the a-pillar.. when you buy the top from legendary it comes with long a-pillars.. I had to cut them off for my car.. and I could be wrong, but i believe the vinyl going the whole way down the a-pillar is 70 and up.. but it doesnt matter either way.

I can confirm, at least for '73, that the vinyl comes down to the bottom of the A-pillar.

I can confirm, at least for '73, that the vinyl comes down to the bottom of the A-pillar.

Funny thing is.. I have seen 70 and up come both ways.. with the vinyl all the way down the a-pillar and also with it stopping at the top.. but I have seen no 67-69's with the vinyl the whole way down the a-pillar.. thats why I figured 70 and up... lol... apparently buyers had a choice

I guess that you should use glue to attach the vinyl and that's why you prime the roof?

You do need to use glue.. i actually recommend paint on the roof as well..then scuff the paint to give the glue a better surface to bond with

On Classic Industries they are selling vinyl top that are 38" and 43". What are the 38" and 43" measurements stands for? Which one should i use on my 73 Swinger? Thanks for all input in the thread FABO members.

On Classic Industries they are selling vinyl top that are 38" and 43". What are the 38" and 43" measurements stands for? Which one should i use on my 73 Swinger? Thanks for all input in the thread FABO members.

if I remember, that number represents the distance between the seems in the top of the roof..

I wondered if the trim might be the same either way- good to know.

Is this clips the one for the vinyl top. Or is this quarter window molding clips?

VinylTop_zps0c5e3481.jpg

Make alignment marks on the center, measure distance to each seam and spray a letter T on the roof in adhesive. Fill the corners of the letter T at the center, put the top down and squeedgee the top from the front leading edge at the center, to the back and continue to apply adhesive as you squeedgee further back.

Don't be afraid to get the heat gun out for the C pillars. Let it stretch the line on the roof to the C pillars and pull them out as you pull down.

This will leave the lower window area tight like a guitar string. put adhesive in the middle down there and squeedgee from the center, add glue from the center as you go, out to each C pillar lower edge, then come forward at the bottom front edge of the C pillar.

Then, pull up on your edges at the top to get the drip rails, front facing and rear facing edge by the glass openings pull them down and roll the sides down into the drip rails with your choice of roller tool. screen window strip tools work good. You will have to cut some material from the top from the rear window area, front and side areas to get good fitment. Don't cut it all for final trim until it's pulled and glued all the way. You need some material to pull on.

Do the A pillars last.

-
Back