Dart vs. Barracuda

-

indirect_connection

Reaction score
I will be moving soon, so the plan to find an A-body to buy has postponed. It does, however, give me plenty of time to do research. I had been looking at Dusters and Darts as they are the most common. I wasn't even considering Barracudas, as I guess the name alone conjured up images of six figure E-bodies. But I 've come across a few 67-69 notch backs (which I prefer), that seem to be going for less than their more pedestrian siblings in similar condition.

So how do Barracuda's compare to Dart/Duster? Are they short or long wheelbase? Can they handle bigger tires like a Duster? I know production is much lower. Are parts harder to find? Any parts not reproduced?

I love the barracudas, I had a 1968 notchback a few years ago. The hardest and most expensive to find are the grille surrounds and rear trim. The rear trim is reproduced but the grille surrounds have to be restored and re anodized which is very costly. As for the rest of the body parts they are not any different in price as a dart or duster, at least in the area where I live.

If you are over 6 feet I think you will find the Duster body type more comfortable than the Dart type.
It has more headroom.
I know from experience.

If you are over 6 feet I think you will find the Duster body type more comfortable than the Dart type.
It has more headroom.
I know from experience.

I am, so good to know. Is there that much different in the roof height, or more a bench vs bucket seat issue?

I will be moving soon, so the plan to find an A-body to buy has postponed. It does, however, give me plenty of time to do research. I had been looking at Dusters and Darts as they are the most common. I wasn't even considering Barracudas, as I guess the name alone conjured up images of six figure E-bodies. But I 've come across a few 67-69 notch backs (which I prefer), that seem to be going for less than their more pedestrian siblings in similar condition.

So how do Barracuda's compare to Dart/Duster? Are they short or long wheelbase? Can they handle bigger tires like a Duster? I know production is much lower. Are parts harder to find? Any parts not reproduced?
The 67 and 68 notches are rare. You can go to a lot of shows and never see one.
I think my 67 notch is a beautiful car, even before I worked on it.

The 67 and 68 notches are rare. You can go to a lot of shows and never see one.
I think my 67 notch is a beautiful car, even before I worked on it.

I went thru the same thots while looking for an A body, back when I was switching back to mopars. I didn`t want a duster type body, had to be a 67-8-9 dart or barracuda. I bought anew 68 barracuda back when I was young and always regretted trading it. Now I regret building too much of a hot rod out of my 68 fastback--------- Still would build a 68 dart if I had the coin, maybe a /6 auto. cruiser.

I am, so good to know. Is there that much different in the roof height, or more a bench vs bucket seat issue?

I can't speak to the bucket seats.
But on a bench, I'm much more comfortable in a Dart Sport verses a Dart.
I"m six three.
This might not be such an issue to some people, except I'm a daily driver.
I spend two hours a day commuting.

So how do Barracuda's compare to Dart/Duster?

Cool factor for Barracudas much, MUCH higher.....!

2hbyg1.jpg

Jeff

67 Fastback and I'm 6'3. Buckets and console and I'm comfortable. Back seat folds down for "nap time" too lol.
Grilles for 67-9 cudas are repopped now but I have read fitment issues.

Darts 3" longer wheel base than bcudas.
Dusters give a little more room stock, for bigger tires.

The 67-69 cudas have hips so there is more room in the rear wheel wells than a Dart and are comparable to a Duster or Demon.

As mentioned, pretty much ALL Dodges have a 2-3" longer wheelbases than the comparable Plymouth model. Except the Duster style body which at 108" is the same as the cudas.

The front/rear trim on Cudas and Darts are year specific so the more you get with your purchase the better.

They don't reproduce fenders and good ones can be expensive.

Thats good to know. I had checked to see if quarter panels were available thinking that they may only be made for the more popular fastback. Seeing that notch quarters were available, I never would have guessed that fenders were not.

Thats good to know. I had checked to see if quarter panels were available thinking that they may only be made for the more popular fastback. Seeing that notch quarters were available, I never would have guessed that fenders were not.
As far as i know, the AMD quarters are made for a fast back and need to be modified for a notch.
The fit on them otherwise is supposed to be excellent though............

The only quarters available are fastback quarters, no notchback. They make partial quarter skins, front/rear valances for both and a notchback Dutchman panel. No fenders, no doors, no trunk lids, etc.
I had to have a fastback quarter grafted on.

IMG_20170224_214956.jpg

IMG_20170224_215006.jpg

10273.jpeg

10289.jpeg

10326.jpeg

IMG_20170827_145857550.jpg

I love the barracudas, I had a 1968 notchback a few years ago. The hardest and most expensive to find are the grille surrounds and rear trim. The rear trim is reproduced but the grille surrounds have to be restored and re anodized which is very costly. As for the rest of the body parts they are not any different in price as a dart or duster, at least in the area where I live.
Pgclassic makes repopped grilles.
Summit racing had listed quarters listed for both, unless they had the description wrong.
View attachment 1715256072
Yeah, those are the skins only and the fastback quarters.

The "notch" seems to be the least common body style but it has been my favorite since I first saw one. That long sloping dutchman and trunk area are styling excellence. The rear wheel arch is more favorable to fitting wider wheels and tires...always a good thing.

Most of the swb cars will accept up to 295s in the rear tubs which is a large money advantage when 360 fever hits. The FB-Barracuda is probably the heaviest, but the weight is over the rear tires so it ain't all bad..
Buckets sit lower, but at 5ft9 there was lots of room to raise them, so I didn't look like a 14 yearold behind the wheel.Plus it was more comfortable to rest my arm on the skinny window sill.

A cool ride is a swb Scamp with a Demon front clip. They look like a 70 Swinger but weigh a tad less. Plus they have an unassuming name and an unassuming cutie-pie look, so when you stab the go-pedal and your 360 wakes up, you have the element of surprise going for you.
A little lighter are the Valiants, like a 68 2-dr post.
Ok I just had a moment, anybody ever see a 68 Valiant wagon? I want one.

Ha ha...68 Valiant wagon! Not here in the USA but maybe Australia or South America?

-
Back