dart vs. duster driveshaft

-

perko

Reaction score
Hey all,
i just want to make sure... a 73 2 door dart will have a longer driveshaft than a 73 duster, correct? I believe that the dart had a 111 inch wheelbase while the duster only has 108. I'm looking at an 8.25 to swap in and it would be a lot easier to buy the accompanying driveshaft than get mine shortened. Thanks.

Dart Swinger has the longer 111" wheelbase. A Dart Sport is the same as a Duster @ 108".

So everyone is in agreement with what you already suspected. The Dart is longer.

So the question is what would be easier, swapping the correct yoke (to match the 8.25") onto your existing shaft or have the shaft from the donor car shortened (assuming your car is the Duster....? )

I don't believe either procedure is going to break the bank.

So everyone is in agreement with what you already suspected. The Dart is longer.

So the question is what would be easier, swapping the correct yoke (to match the 8.25") onto your existing shaft or have the shaft from the donor car shortened (assuming your car is the Duster....? )

I don't believe either procedure is going to break the bank.
You can't make up a three inch difference in driveshaft length with a yoke! Not even a 1/2 inch difference, for that matter
The distance between the splined shaft and point of articulation (front U joint) is non negotiable. Any additional distance creates an exponentially greater load on the tailshaft bushing.

What is the exact drivetrain.

I may have a DS here for a Duster with a 904/8.25 set up

Don't have a 727/8.75 DS

You need one that is 44.99-45.00" center to center in a Duster.

-
Back