Dartin for Divorce

-
So... I started cleaning up the grill and bezels... who ever painted this used the thickest paint possible it seems like! It also doesn't help that I'm sanding it all by hand, these are the things that would make a glass/sand blaster so nice!

Oh I also haven't installed my new light bulbs yet... those things are a pain in the butt to get to.

Oh I also had help from the shop dog... my wife tried to call her in the house when it started getting cold and she didn't want to go anywhere, she was fully content hanging out working on car parts... more or less sleeping while I worked lol.

20201127_145037.jpg

20201127_145047.jpg

Well didnt install my new bulbs... but I did get some new headlights because I realized you can't just change the bulbs on these headlights.

Did some more sanding in my grill... only need to wet sand it all now, polish the aluminum, tape, paint, tape then paint some more.... now I see why people who have money pay to have this done... shop dog helped as well...

20201128_142654.jpg

20201128_142849.jpg

I think your blinker switch is shot. Kick the dog a couple times, It'll start liking your wife. Okay... just kidding about the blinker switch. :)

Blinker relay switch. There are 2 of them correct? 1 by the radio and 1 by the column? Is the one by the radio the one I should change (idk where it is but... I can try to look)

Blinker relay switch. There are 2 of them correct? 1 by the radio and 1 by the column? Is the one by the radio the one I should change (idk where it is but... I can try to look)
Gee doc. I ain't no electrical whizz but is emulating a condition that I had and replacement of the blinker switch in the steering column is what fixed it.

So, any description of your signal trouble there, young fella?
I wouldnt want you to start throwing parts at it without at least an attempt at diagnosing it.

So, any description of your signal trouble there, young fella?
I wouldnt want you to start throwing parts at it without at least an attempt at diagnosing it.

Well currently... my lights were working as posted on the last page I think.

My turn signals have never worked... then randomly they started working for like a day, and turning on when I didnt turn them on with the lever... then back to not working..

My normal was- working headlights, working high beams, working brake lights, working park lights, working dash lights, and working flashers... no working blinkers and no working overhead light (one on the roof, and idk how to get the cover off to change the bulb)

Right now no headlights or ambers work because they aren't installed... im installing new headlights when they come in, and new bulbs everywhere (except dash) else then will see what works and what doesn't.

Well currently... my lights were working as posted on the last page I think.

My turn signals have never worked... then randomly they started working for like a day, and turning on when I didnt turn them on with the lever... then back to not working..

My normal was- working headlights, working high beams, working brake lights, working park lights, working dash lights, and working flashers... no working blinkers and no working overhead light (one on the roof, and idk how to get the cover off to change the bulb)

Right now no headlights or ambers work because they aren't installed... im installing new headlights when they come in, and new bulbs everywhere (except dash) else then will see what works and what doesn't.
The dome light cover you can just give it a little pinch and pop it off. There should be 2 brittle *** plastic tabs holding it on.

The dome light cover you can just give it a little pinch and pop it off. There should be 2 brittle *** plastic tabs holding it on.

I think I tried that once... the whole plastic dome was brittle as **** and im pretty sure it started to crack so I stopped. I try to break as little as possible right now, as fixing everything ends up being expensive... with tools and parts

Bulkhead connector is a big problem on these cars. It's where the engine compartment plugs into the passenger compartment. I soda blasted one on a chevy and it cured a ton of problems.

I think I tried that once... the whole plastic dome was brittle as **** and im pretty sure it started to crack so I stopped. I try to break as little as possible right now, as fixing everything ends up being expensive... with tools and parts
40 years of mopars and i think i've only had a dome light cover for three of them :lol:

Sanded on the grill and bezels some more... I think im about ready to wet sand, then polish and paint... still debating between gloss and flat black... also debating if I should use my krylon silver on the aluminum or leave it raw... I also did t sand the outer edges, I figured I may be able to just polish most of it except for the spots with gouges... thats part of why I kind of want to paint everything with the krylon, but then that dang hood trim doesn't match...

Ooh I also messed with my lights... they all work... except for blinkers, I forgot to test the flashers lol. So I will switch out my blinker relay and see if that works... ps yes these are some pretty plug and play LED headlights...

20201129_153051.jpg

20201129_153040.jpg

20201129_153030.jpg

20201129_152031.jpg

20201129_152017.jpg

Scrap? Whats that? I will test it on something though, I have a spare parts bin. I forgot I have my tail panel as well, so I'm going to need another can or 2.
give the backside of the tail panel a quick clean and do a test spot with the paint

give the backside of the tail panel a quick clean and do a test spot with the paint

I'm going to try this... I am still not quite sure if all of the anodizing is off of the bottom portion of the grill yet. I got some lower grit paper and I'm going to work on it a bit tonight, then after that try to get it polished up... we will see how much energy I have tonight..

Haven't painted anything yet... still been sanding, certain areas of the grill and bezels don't want to match the rest. Ive also been trying to smooth the smaller aluminum areas on the grill... I should stop trying to make it perfect...

I did fix my tails, turn signals, and emergency flashers. It took a couple trips to the store for exchanging of flashers and then using an old flasher but they are working...

If both flashers are EL12 the blinkers and Em Flashers do not work, the lights get brighter but do not flash, just stay brighter. If the flasher near the column is el12 and the one under the ac is a regular flasher(put old one there) everything works as it is supposed to. This is weird to me as it didnt work like this yesterday... I dont understand why the old 552 works (even makes clicking sound) but the new 552 didnt work, it would just make the lights brighter and hold them brighter but not flash them..

Hopefully that made sense....

Tldr- El12 near steering column and old 552 near air vent- flashers and turn signals working properly.

20201202_133303.jpg

20201202_133250.jpg

20201201_001149.jpg

20201201_001134.jpg

20201201_001045.jpg

The light on the right side of my dash isn't working, but the left side is... leds for that to come hopefully.

Hopefully the videos work as they weren't the other day...

-
Back