Dartin for Divorce

-
Played with some tape.... Wife asked "So... How'd we do? Are you happy with the results?" Pfft she didn't even help... and there is a problem with paint on one of the bezels... idk what happened.

I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. Now I just need one of those fancy GTS badges.... oh I need to install them too.

20201209_190634.jpg

20201209_190606.jpg

20201209_190452.jpg

20201209_190543.jpg

You can get paint pens that will make touching those areas up super easy.

When I've had paint do that at the edge of the tape, it's usually been from the paint going on wet and the solvents invading the edge of the tape and causing trouble. This is also why masking should typically be removed as soon as possible without damage to the newly sprayed paint. The harder the paint gets, the more likely the tape is to lift an edge or crack the paint or something.

You can get paint pens that will make touching those areas up super easy.

When I've had paint do that at the edge of the tape, it's usually been from the paint going on wet and the solvents invading the edge of the tape and causing trouble. This is also why masking should typically be removed as soon as possible without damage to the newly sprayed paint. The harder the paint gets, the more likely the tape is to lift an edge or crack the paint or something.

Yea I was going to just grab a paint pen at the auto store on my way home tomorrow. I'm excited because I think it all looks so good. Going to make the car look like a whole new car...

Yea I was going to just grab a paint pen at the auto store on my way home tomorrow. I'm excited because I think it all looks so good. Going to make the car look like a whole new car...

The pictures of the parts look good, can't wait to see them back on the car!

You have to pull tape off just about immediately after the paint flashes off. Otherwise the paint & tape form a seal, and when you break that seal you lift some paint off.

Last edited:
Well I know about pulling the tape sooner for next time I decide to paint something....
Or buy quality tape like the 3M green, you can leave it until the paint dries, then take it off.
Not cheap like $8 for a 3/4" roll and $15 for a roll of 2".

Or buy quality tape like the 3M green, you can leave it until the paint dries, then take it off.
Not cheap like $8 for a 3/4" roll and $15 for a roll of 2".

I used 3m tape, it wasn't that much in price though...

I do know there were some areas that seemed to have a little anodizing left and not all the way off and the paint didn't want to stick in those areas. Its ok, I'm happy with the results for the most part. For my first time doing this, and cost vs results, compared to professionaly redone I'm happy with it.

I wanted to pull the tape the same night I painted it, but after 2hrs when I touched the black it still left a touch of finger printing. Then yesterday morning I had school, so I couldn't pull it until last night.

I have a pt from 5-730 tonight, but ill try and install the grill tonight before going to bed.

I used 3m tape, it wasn't that much in price though...

I do know there were some areas that seemed to have a little anodizing left and not all the way off and the paint didn't want to stick in those areas. Its ok, I'm happy with the results for the most part. For my first time doing this, and cost vs results, compared to professionaly redone I'm happy with it.

I wanted to pull the tape the same night I painted it, but after 2hrs when I touched the black it still left a touch of finger printing. Then yesterday morning I had school, so I couldn't pull it until last night.

I have a pt from 5-730 tonight, but ill try and install the grill tonight before going to bed.
Was it green, or the cheap white or blue crap?

When i pulled the stencil off the door,paint was still wet. That is a challenge, xacto knife is handy for that, and a steady hand. Its no showpiece, and im really happy with how it turned out. Hard on the nerves, i dont know what i would do if it screwed up.
975A95E0-D250-4645-827E-A4404DD11A09.jpeg
4539709B-C2FF-474F-AB20-058C6CD5756F.jpeg

Hey for me to wanna go out and tinker on a project car is hard anymore these days. I’m just exhausted after work wake up at 430.

Yea I get what you mean. I keep wanting to put it together but I've been super tired after seeing patients all day every day and dealing with bs

Just think if you were a Proctologist....you would be dealing with real **** all day

Pal nuts or tinnerman nuts.
Used to have all kinds kicking around. Parts store used to stock them.
Car looks better with them on.

Nice looking good, now you need one of those GTS badges a guy on here gets made. How come no shoe or dog in the picture?

Pal nuts or tinnerman nuts.
Used to have all kinds kicking around. Parts store used to stock them.
Car looks better with them on.

Car looks better with what on? Those little nuts? Yea I was directed towards reproduction ones in my thread looking for them.

Nice looking good, now you need one of those GTS badges a guy on here gets made. How come no shoe or dog in the picture?

I know but 65 bucks... I'm poor... maybe next month, I'm going to paint my tail bezels...

Picture just for you!

20201211_182121.jpg

20201211_183611.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back