Dartin for Divorce

-
I ended up having an afternoon pt so didn't get to pick anything up on the way home.

I grab a 1004 bulb tomorrow. I also check my door ground switches, they were painted purple and seem to contact to rubber on the door not the metal door frame it self... so that could cause a problem as well.

View attachment 1715651333

View attachment 1715651334
Looks like you can work on the door panels there. Before they get to bad, the 3M super adhesive works pretty good.

Didn't have a patient this morning and finally got to go to Aarcudas house to see him and meet his daughter. Its been to long so I'm glad im on break to see him some more before school starts back up.

As always when I get a chance to talk to him I learn something new. Today it was about W2 heads... to expensive for me to do because you have to get the heads, headers, and the intake. But they are pretty awesome set ups. I also got to see his cool cuda and his shop full of race stuff, definitely a highlight of the day.

Seeing his fast stuff makes me need more go fast parts. Thats how it always goes right? Does the need more go fast parts feelings ever stop??? :steering:

Waterless carwash and a little polishing the trim by hand... I hate polishing by hand, its gotta be done like this until I take it off the car though...

20201218_184302.jpg

20201218_184243.jpg

Nothing works on these mirrors though... im going to have to try the tinfoil trick... nope that didn't work either.

20201218_185329.jpg

Dont know if you can get it in the states, but Autosol is an awesome chrome polish.

Balls... bogging when pressing gas to WOT. Looked good in the parking lot though...

Carburetor? No kickdown on trans? It'll get figured out... or finally get smart...

20201219_143937.jpg

20201219_144217.jpg

What a dick... trying to mess with my bogging issue and bam... blew an old heater hose... I should just remove the whole system... until I fix it...

20201219_190251.jpg

Replaced the heater hoses... readjusted the throttle cable and kd cable. Drove it to the park. Took 2 naps...

Then I also had to glue my sons ear back together because the puppy jacked it up. He shouldn't have been blowing in her face though.

20201220_173819.jpg

20201220_173800.jpg

20201219_221723.jpg

20201220_183033.jpg

Resized_20201220_072147.jpeg

Checked my oil to make sure I didn't blow a head gasket or get any coolant in the oil.... sure enough... looks just as clean as when I put it in lol. Just a little low from a leaky drain plug... I need a new one. Also after having a 2nd run in with antifreeze last night from one of the hose clamps not being tight enough, I tightened it up and no more antifreeze leaks.

Then adjusted my idle back down to 800ish, set the idle mixture screws on the carb back to factory settings because I probably messed the mixture up at some point since Aarcuda set it. Then I checked the vacuum, its about 14-15 mmhg.

I also double and triple checked my kd cable and throttle cable. Both are where they should be. Then I went counter clockwise 1/2 turn on the secondary flap because I've been getting a bog going from partial throttle to WOT.

- Picture of vacuum was from before I put the idle mixture back at factory settings.

Now its time to do a little test driving.

I'm also going to adjust and make sure my parking brake is set correctly. Thats probably what is throwing my brakes off and causing the pedal to continue to not be perfect.

One day it will all be working 100%... until then continue to work on the little kinks.

You will get it. By the time your done, you will know every exact thing about this dart.

This is very true. With all the help here I'm going to be one of the cranky old bastards in no time! Not directed at anyone and no offense to anyone you're all amazing and I appreciate every word of advise.

I think om over fighting with this transmission trying to get it 100% perfect. I think im going to make do with what its doing. I adjust the throttle cable and the kd linkage but then my throttle pedal sticks a little and the idle speed is to high. So then I back off the throttle cable which brings the kd out of adjustment too. Right now I'm just going to leave it as it is.

The shifting was having no flares yesterday but the 2-3 shift point was high, some people said i need a new governor which is paired to my transmission to have the correct shift speed and rpms.

I also adjusted my secondary flap, since I was having a bog going part throttle to WOT. At this point it seems I change 1 thing and it makes something else feel off.

Maybe its the perfectionist in me or maybe its the fact that I'm not 100% familiar with these old cars. But at this point I feel I'm going in circles, maybe one day someone who is more knowledgeable than I am will be able to get it all sorted out. I'll just start saving money for another rebuild, proper converter, correct governor and pre-built vb. Install it all, set KD and away we go... hopefully lol

Thats it, end rant for the night.

I think om over fighting with this transmission trying to get it 100% perfect. I think im going to make do with what its doing. I adjust the throttle cable and the kd linkage but then my throttle pedal sticks a little and the idle speed is to high. So then I back off the throttle cable which brings the kd out of adjustment too. Right now I'm just going to leave it as it is.

The shifting was having no flares yesterday but the 2-3 shift point was high, some people said i need a new governor which is paired to my transmission to have the correct shift speed and rpms.

I also adjusted my secondary flap, since I was having a bog going part throttle to WOT. At this point it seems I change 1 thing and it makes something else feel off.

Maybe its the perfectionist in me or maybe its the fact that I'm not 100% familiar with these old cars. But at this point I feel I'm going in circles, maybe one day someone who is more knowledgeable than I am will be able to get it all sorted out. I'll just start saving money for another rebuild, proper converter, correct governor and pre-built vb. Install it all, set KD and away we go... hopefully lol

Thats it, end rant for the night.

Modern cars have us spoiled. Old cars were always more like operating machinery than what we call "driving" today. Get used to the quirks for now and then make changes if it actually causes you trouble.

You can always lower your shift points by slightly rolling out of the throttle to help "nudge" the transmission to shift when you want it to. It's a skill that you pick up by driving old heaps ;)

M

You can always lower your shift points by slightly rolling out of the throttle to help "nudge" the transmission to shift when you want it to. It's a skill that you pick up by driving old heaps ;)

Yep, that's how you had to drive some of the old Torqueflites. I (partially) learned to drive on a '68 Dart /6-torqueflite, and that's what my Grandma told me to do with the gas pedal. Funny how you remember stuff like that from almost 50 years ago, isn't it?

Last edited:
-
Back