Dartin for Divorce

-
Remember that disc's will also push your wheels out by 1/4 or so due to the hat thickness.

I've really never needed to adjust drum brakes. Typically once I needed to, they were better off rebuilt.

That said, import parts suck and they suck more each day. It could just be that getting a good set of wheel cylinders may be near impossible. That makes discs more attractive, since calipers are modern tech with some support..
Another consideration when moving to rear disc brakes is the reconfiguration of the parking brake.

Only in emergencies. lol. You did talk about a manual transmission I think. Pretty handy in that situation.

Manual transmission would be a pain to swap over.

I've been messing with my brakes. The rears seemed to be way over adjusted. I'll bleed them now now see how they get.

Manual transmission would be a pain to swap over.

I've been messing with my brakes. The rears seemed to be way over adjusted. I'll bleed them now now see how they get.
@mygasser said something about fitting and bedding the brakes. Maybe that's the problem.

@mygasser said something about fitting and bedding the brakes. Maybe that's the problem.

Idk how to do that, I'm pretty sure I watched a video on it before though.

I just bled the brakes, with the wife's help, and again they are working better. We will see how they hold up over the next couple of days.

3.91 and a stroker, that will be a tire melter.
My co-worker put a 408 in a Dart, with 4.10. After he put the 4.10's in he hardly ever drove the car, he said it just revved too high for street use.
I remember back in the day, I would take the 3.23 daily gears out of my challenger on Friday evening, and on put a set of 3.91 in for the weekend.
Sunday afternoon the 3.23 gears would go back in.

3.91 and a stroker, that will be a tire melter.
My co-worker put a 408 in a Dart, with 4.10. After he put the 4.10's in he hardly ever drove the car, he said it just revved too high for street use.
I remember back in the day, I would take the 3.23 daily gears out of my challenger on Friday evening, and on put a set of 3.91 in for the weekend.
Sunday afternoon the 3.23 gears would go back in.

I want tire melter lol. Who needs brakes anyways....

DrDiff has the relocation kit back in stock and then I should be able to get 275s in the back for... "more traction..."

Remember this will only be getting "daily" driven for only so much longer.

DrDiff has the relocation kit back in stock and then I should be able to get 275s in the back for... "more traction..."

on my 68 valiant my ss leaf springs are in the stock location and i have 295's under the arches on an 8 1.2" wheel with about 1/2" to the spring on the inside and 1/2" to the arch on the outside (i have rolled the arch lips). no relocation kit needed although a dart may be slightly different.
neil.

Drove the car after wife and I bled the brakes, they worked much better. After driving it I gravity bled them some and got a couple more bubbles out, now I'll drive it for a couple more days then gravity bleed them again.

I contacted the guy about the 408 stroker he is building... so MAYBE we will see what happens with that. Although I'm a dentist and making money, I only get paid one time a month so I won't get paid until the 7th of September. I've also been trying to catch up on house stuff that we have needed to buy. Here is a kitchen table I had made for my wife, much easier to have them made then to try and make it yourself... probably much cheaper than if I was making it too... and done much quicker, only took 2 weeks

20210806_163548.jpg

on my 68 valiant my ss leaf springs are in the stock location and i have 295's under the arches on an 8 1.2" wheel with about 1/2" to the spring on the inside and 1/2" to the arch on the outside (i have rolled the arch lips). no relocation kit needed although a dart may be slightly different.
neil.

You probably have much better back spacing than I do right now on your wheels. I have wheels from an 88 diplomat, so I think the bs is 4.25in, and my 245s are already rubbing on passenger side and I only have about 1/2in on drivers side to the lip. The arches are "rolled" as well. I've read 275s are as big as you can go with spring relocation kit on the 67-9 dart.

A 408 with darn near ANY axle will be a tire melter. Trust me on that one...I have a 408 in the avatar car....

oh, i forgot i have an explorer 8.8 axle with 2 short shafts that's near as dammit 56 1/2" overall width too.

I dont believe in putting Ford axles in a dodge... or LS motors in them... :poke::rofl:

Just kidding, my thoughts are "it's your car and do what you want with it and I will appreciate the work that's gone into it and making it work." A lot of guys have very good luck with the 8.8, hopefully my 8.75 holds up.

A 408 with darn near ANY axle will be a tire melter. Trust me on that one...I have a 408 in the avatar car....

That's what I like to hear. Gotta show the mustang and chevy crowd around Springfield what's up and who's boss!

I have 265 wide tires, relocated perches and offset hangers. They still rub. 275 would never fit in mine (72 swinger).

I'm going to be doing a mini tub and inboard relocation to the frame rails once I finally commit to my new rear end so that I can fit 295s back there.

Even with just 265 wide, my 408 equipped car wheel hops more than it smokes! LOL. My snubber doesn't hit the floor and I'm running kit car springs which push the rear about 1/2" further back for better clearance at the front of the arches. I'm debating a custom third link or traction bars or custom leafs to fix the hop issue.

I'd also say the 4spd conversion isn't that bad. I did it in about a week with the parts in hand. Hardest part was honest swapping the u joints (had to swap yoke's since I had a 904 before). I bought an amd hump, and the sheet metal work was honestly super easy. The pedals were a lot of work, but if you've ever taken the column out, it's really no worse.

I dont believe in putting Ford axles in a dodge... or LS motors in them... :poke::rofl:

Just kidding, my thoughts are "it's your car and do what you want with it and I will appreciate the work that's gone into it and making it work." A lot of guys have very good luck with the 8.8, hopefully my 8.75 holds up.
my car only had a 7.25 and an 8 3/4 here is £1000 to 1500+ (uk sterling) and won't be A body width so needs narrowing anyway. i bought 2 explorer 8.8's (with a driveshaft) for £210 and got lsd, disc brakes and larger 31 spline axles all as stock. swapped a second 'short side' shaft into one and shortened the case myself. oh, and the handbrake needed only to weld the oblong 'loops' from the end of the explorer cable to the A body handbrake cable nipples to work.
win win :thumbsup:

my car only had a 7.25 and an 8 3/4 here is £1000 to 1500+ (uk sterling) and won't be A body width so needs narrowing anyway. i bought 2 explorer 8.8's (with a driveshaft) for £210 and got lsd, disc brakes and larger 31 spline axles all as stock. swapped a second 'short side' shaft into one and shortened the case myself. oh, and the handbrake needed only to weld the oblong 'loops' from the end of the explorer cable to the A body handbrake cable nipples to work.
win win :thumbsup:

Holy sheet, that 8.8 is soon much cheaper! I hope you know I was only messing with you, I'm the last person to judge, especially with my crappy building skills...honestly if I didn't get an 8.75 with my car I would of bought the most economical rear end as well.

I have 265 wide tires, relocated perches and offset hangers. They still rub. 275 would never fit in mine (72 swinger).

I'm going to be doing a mini tub and inboard relocation to the frame rails once I finally commit to my new rear end so that I can fit 295s back there.

Even with just 265 wide, my 408 equipped car wheel hops more than it smokes! LOL. My snubber doesn't hit the floor and I'm running kit car springs which push the rear about 1/2" further back for better clearance at the front of the arches. I'm debating a custom third link or traction bars or custom leafs to fix the hop issue.

I'd also say the 4spd conversion isn't that bad. I did it in about a week with the parts in hand. Hardest part was honest swapping the u joints (had to swap yoke's since I had a 904 before). I bought an amd hump, and the sheet metal work was honestly super easy. The pedals were a lot of work, but if you've ever taken the column out, it's really no worse.

295s are BIG tires! But sure would look cool. Wheel hops, that's good for saving your tires right?

295s are BIG tires! But sure would look cool. Wheel hops, that's good for saving your tires right?

More like good for breaking rings and pinions.. Plus, the shaking knocks all the knobs off my dash and hits hard enough to pop the glove box open. It's incredibly violent when it happens, it's bad.

More like good for breaking rings and pinions.. Plus, the shaking knocks all the knobs off my dash and hits hard enough to pop the glove box open. It's incredibly violent when it happens, it's bad.
That's one of my biggest worries with all of mods I have done to my Barracuda, wheel hop. It was super smooth before I tore into it. Still have a lot to do before I find out.

-
Back