Dartin for Divorce

-
It's been a VERY long time since I replaced my water pump on my 340 but I don't recall using anything at all except the gasket. Is it possible that I just put the gasket on the pump with a couple bolts on opposite sides and barely started the bolts, making sure all bolts went through the proper gasket holes and then snugged the bolts up?? You guys know if that would work? I honestly can't remember...along time ago.

Only shelac at this store.

Pulled up and saw this 68 charger with a 5.7l hemi in it. Talked to the guy, he has around 70k into it, maybe one day.

20190902_151903.jpg

20190902_151348.jpg

Ok I'll look for a shelac at another store. That's kind of what was happening the first time I put the wp on, the gasket was moving. Same with the exhaust manifold gaskets, they like to squirm around.
I’ve always coated the gaskets with a very light coat if heavy duty, multi purpose grease. It’s very tacky and I’ve not had a single leak doing it that way.

You really can't put anything on exhaust gaskets. It just burns off. There is/was a Permatex copper RTV , but even that burns up eventually.

It's been a VERY long time since I replaced my water pump on my 340 but I don't recall using anything at all except the gasket. Is it possible that I just put the gasket on the pump with a couple bolts on opposite sides and barely started the bolts, making sure all bolts went through the proper gasket holes and then snugged the bolts up?? You guys know if that would work? I honestly can't remember...along time ago.
That would work better than gooping it up with RTV. I still think attaching it to one of the parts so it can't move around is best.

Whoo hoo! No leaks! And finished at the same time my 8lb brisket finished on the smoker!

Now putting the battery in!

Quick question before adding oil and seeing if she purrs- that braket where it bolts to the engine I can't get the bolt in with how it's sitting in the driveway, will oil leak from there if I put in oil and start it up?

Ps- you young Mopar men know your stuff! Thanks so much!!!

20190902_175529.jpg

Omg so loud without an exhaust!

Leaking oil out of the 90 degree adapter when the engine is running though. I'll have to take it off and see why, I tightened the crap out of it so we will see .

What did the family/ neighbors think of that !

My wife said we are going to get a noise complaint I loved it and my daughter was jumping for joy that her purple car was fixed .She was upset that we couldn't go for a drive. I tightened the 90' adapter a little more and the leak got much better, I'll tighten it some more tomorrow. Right now I'm happy it's running and no major catastrophes and going to enjoy this brisket.

20190902_183801.jpg

20190902_183728.jpg

20190902_183511.jpg

Be careful with that oil filter adapter bolt. It's hollow, and isn't as strong as it may look!
in case you need to redo the 90' gasket again, gasket tack works great on those and the water pump. glad it's running :thumbsup:
80062.jpg

in case you need to redo the 90' gasket again, gasket tack works great on those and the water pump. glad it's running :thumbsup:
View attachment 1715388832

Awesome! Sucks if I have to pull it as I just dumped 4 qts of oil in it haha.

I used some gasket seal on it, but it was of the rtv sorts... I'll probably use the shelac if I have to redo it though.

Thought this was funny

Screenshot_20190903-083505_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
you wouldn't loose much oil. a little out of the filter. you don't need to drain the pan to do it.
your wife did a nice job on that sign :lol:

She didn't make it I just saw it on Facebook and I thought y'all would enjoy it.

I used some gasket seal on it, but it was of the rtv sorts... I'll probably use the shelac if I have to redo it

Tried to make your statement above a quote but don't know how.
I used rtv sealant on my filter adapter the first time but couldn't get it to seal. Bought a new gasket and used the same shellac gasket sealer you showed and no leaks. I'm sure the Permatex high- tack sealer would work too.

RTV isn't good for much. I can only think of a few places to use it on an engine: Front and rear of the intake manifold, to take the place of those stupid cork gaskets. Put a tiny amount around the water passages on the intake gasket too. On the corners where the oil pan gasket meets the rear/front rubber seals. On the bolts that go into water on the front of the engine. On the ends of the rear main seal.... can't think of anywhere else to use it.

RTV isn't good for much. I can only think of a few places to use it on an engine: Front and rear of the intake manifold, to take the place of those stupid cork gaskets. Put a tiny amount around the water passages on the intake gasket too. On the corners where the oil pan gasket meets the rear/front rubber seals. On the bolts that go into water on the front of the engine. On the ends of the rear main seal.... can't think of anywhere else to use it.
That’s what it’s designed for. If one reads the package, it clearly says not to use on gaskets that may be in high contact with oil or gasoline, specifically headgaskets, oil gaskets etc. makes sense why it leaks when used in those locations

Exhaust is bolted up, I grabbed a 2.5in tube gasket so I'm exchanging it for a 3.0in diameter right now. Then we will try again with the starting.

I was getting grey smoke yesterday when it was running, I'm hoping it's not the headers leaking exhaust fumes we will see .

Here's my smoke! I'm wondering if it's from the paint on the headers? It's on both sides and I don't see it leaking anywhere from the exhaust or hear an exhaust leak.

20190903_191709.jpg

-
Back