Dartin for Divorce

-
I got a couple exhaust hangers today, I'm going to mess with it a little tomorrow after cleaning around the house and see if I can't get it to snug up a little tighter.

My wife is getting induced on Saturday at 2pm for baby #3, we will officially be out numbered. Hopefully I'll have the car not making noise by the end of tomorrow. Working on the car will probably be put in hold when my little Rose is born .

20190905_232324.jpg

Found the scraping.... That's no good, muffler was rubbing on the DS.... Definitely no good.

I put 2 hangers on it, replaced what was there and found the stock mount so put a hanger there too! The only thing that worries me is how close the muffler still is to the DS. I tried banging the muffler with a hammer but it didn't want to bend. Maybe I'll have to get some smaller louder mufflers, or maybe straight 3in exhaust... any ideas?

20190906_131354.jpg

20190906_131111.jpg

I would try to gain enough clearance to make a muffler shop run. It shouldn't be a big deal for a muffler shop.

How much is your drive shaft scored? That would be my concern.

I would try to gain enough clearance to make a muffler shop run. It shouldn't be a big deal for a muffler shop.

Closest shop is 6.1 miles away, it's not terrible, can barely feel it when you run your finger along it. It's just shiney. The exhaust is indented right there so it looks like this was probably a problem in the past.

get some heavy, like #12, non insulated wire. undo the hangers and wire up the pipes so the wire is also pulling the exhaust away from the DS and make tracks to the muffler shop. now we know why the exhaust wasn't installed when you got it :BangHead:

edit: or, got AAA ? have it towed over

get some heavy, like #12, non insulated wire. undo the hangers and wire up the pipes so the wire is also pulling the exhaust away from the DS and make tracks to the muffler shop. now we know why the exhaust wasn't installed when you got it :BangHead:

edit: or, got AAA ? have it towed over

After tightening the exhaust it got much much much worse! I turned around and loosened it and reattached it pulling it to the side .

I got it off the DS for now not by much though. No metal rubbing/scraping sounds anymore

20190906_141849.jpg

20190906_141841.jpg

I told my son i would pick him up in the purple car today so I'll go to the exhaust shop, after I pick him up from school.

**** this car! So frustrating...

Just kidding, but why can't I just daily drive it, I love it, my kids love it, it's beautiful and everything we ever wanted ❤️

Really though, I was going to the muffler shop, and it started getting warm almost to the midline and I don't like that. I'm getting an aluminum radiator, it's decided I'm doing it. Las Vegas is hot, I get it, but I didn't get this car so we have a fun weekend car to drive only 6 months out of the year. I want to be able to drive it year round and be able to pick up my kids from school when it's 110 outside and not worry about pissing antifreeze everywhere. (Going to get an overflow tank to keep it off the floor too) cold case seems like a great radiator (a little expensive), so does engineered cooling (the one I want but always out of stock), champion seems like a fan favorite around here, and then there is the speedway motors one for 150 here in town. The one here in town would be the cheapest and quickest, but I would probably have to buy some universal mounts which I don't like the idea of.

20190906_155036.jpg

well, you just got it running again, the cooling system was nice and full, and no overflow. of course it puked. as far as the temperature , without a real gauge, you don't know what you really have. at the quick and cheapest get a HF heat gun and you can start keeping track of what temp the hoses are getting to. might not be as bad as it seems.

...cold case seems like a great radiator (a little expensive), so does engineered cooling (the one I want but always out of stock), champion seems like a fan favorite around here, and then there is the speedway motors one for 150 here in town. The one here in town would be the cheapest and quickest, but I would probably have to buy some universal mounts which I don't like the idea of.
my 74' has a no name aluminum bought at 4pm on a sunday cause' i needed a radiator bad and has been fine for around 5 years. it gets warm sitting in stopped traffic when it's over 110' out, but otherwise has been great. bolted right in too. the valiant has a champion that sat on the shelf for years. i bought it because i knew the no name was going to crap out soon. so much for that.
DSC00498.JPG
1.JPG

well, you just got it running again, the cooling system was nice and full, and no overflow. of course it puked. as far as the temperature , without a real gauge, you don't know what you really have. at the quick and cheapest get a HF heat gun and you can start keeping track of what temp the hoses are getting to. might not be as bad as it seems.

Very true! I think I got a heat gun, I will have to check and see as I really can't remember what all I got haha. I know I have the timing light which I need to figure out the timing on the car. I also have been really thinking about a new carb, or at least getting this one cleaned up a bit more. The car sure does purr with the new exhaust, I wish I had a sound clip of it when I drive off, but even just giving her a little gas with the windows down I can hear a throaty exhaust.

Oh forgot to mention- I definitely will need some taller tires I scraped the headers like 5x going down the back road to my sons school where it isn't a perfectly flat road :rofl:

Mid line on factory gauge is were it's suppose to be...get a mechanical gauge...very easy to install. "Search adjusting ride height" on here, you can raise the front end up a bit to give your headers a little more clearance.

Like the others have said..mid-way on temp gauge is normal, I suspect you may be topping off your radiator and as soon as it gets up to temp it starts puking everywhere. The coolant will expand as it gets hot. Have you ever noticed on newer cars the overflow tanks often have two lines? Full hot and full cold? A good mechanical temp gauge and a puke tank would be high on the list if it were me. You could be worried a something that isn't a problem. Its good to hear your back on the road, these little things happen to all of us.. just have to work through them. Once upon a time I worked for some shops that did frame off restorations of muscle cars. This was during the early to mid 2000's when the economy was flush with money. We did alot with Barrett Jackson and the like. It was very common for a "fresh" frame off restoration to be a terrible running/driving car. It would take us putting miles on them and working out the squawks as they came to get them dialed in. The issue we faced is many of these cars were bought as investments and as long as they drove across the stage and onto the trailer it was good. I really didnt like that part of it. In 2008 the economy went sideways and people sat on these cars or just liquidated them for a fraction of what was in them.

Yeah, what fun would they be if we just jumped in and drove off!

I'd say part of your desire to always be working on it is so you can put your fingerprints on every inch of your car. Your OCD makes you NEED to know the car inside and out.

Just my .02, :lol:

Yeah, what fun would they be if we just jumped in and drove off!

I'd say part of your desire to always be working on it is so you can put your fingerprints on every inch of your car. Your OCD makes you NEED to know the car inside and out.

Just my .02, :lol:

I mean, all the hours I spent fixing the car was fun; my black, bruised and bloody hands and fingers sure did appreciate it but....

I would ha e had much more fun driving all those hours in the car with my kiddos.

Yes I am a little OCD, I like things to be perfect especially if I have the family in the car. So I'm going to get an aluminum radiator and call it a day.

Also correct on needing to know the car inside and out. I want to know the quirks and know how it drives normal that way when there is a problem I can spot it quickly. Plus it lets me get more car parts!

I now know what my wife feels like. She always finds something else about me to ***** about or says I need to fix, just like me with the purple car:rofl:

Mid line on factory gauge is were it's suppose to be...get a mechanical gauge...very easy to install. "Search adjusting ride height" on here, you can raise the front end up a bit to give your headers a little more clearance.

With the adjusting bolts right?

I bought a temp guage to install, only problem is I got an oil temp guage (which isnt really a problem I needed that too!)

Whoever built that exhaust system just used the wrong mufflers. The front (inlet) should be offset, and the rear (outlet) should be centered. The offset inlet is used so that the muffler sits more outboard vs the driveshaft.

Whoever built that exhaust system just used the wrong mufflers. The front (inlet) should be offset, and the rear (outlet) should be centered. The offset inlet is used so that the muffler sits more outboard vs the driveshaft.

Wasn't me!!! Finally I'm not the one at fault lol. Thinking about going to the muffler shop early am.

Donuts!

My daughter loves going fast, hearing the tires break lose and the sound of going fast! She's like her daddy .
20190907_094427.jpg

20190907_092552.jpg

20190907_094428.jpg

Annoying Problems?? Something's were a pain in the ***??? With that smile happening...yesterday's problems seem kinda far away doesn't it?? Best of luck today, hope all goes good with your wife and new one!!!!

Annoying Problems?? Something's were a pain in the ***??? With that smile happening...yesterday's problems seem kinda far away doesn't it?? Best of luck today, hope all goes good with your wife and new one!!!!

There was a problem with the car yesterday??? Didn't even know lol. The car is running rich that's for sure though, smells a bunch like gas in my garage right now.

You're correct that face makes it all better! She's an angel and loves this car. These are the moments we work for right? I love being a dad and I'm scared shitless about having the new baby today, I don't know why as I was never scared with the other 2. Little Rose just has my stomach all in knots.

Deep breath. I've got a really good feeling for you two. I had a similar experience with my second one and it turned out great( for me) as my son was 9lbs 10 oz and my wife delivered naturally...no meds or anything ( what a trooper!!) It's been said before but Enjoy each moment, it goes by sooo fast.

-
Back