Dartin for Divorce

-
I run my wires under the headers to keep the heat off, that way they can sag some and not get on the header.

IMG_20180912_165841.jpg

I see though your wires don't have the 90 degree end so I doubt you could run them underneath.

My engine bay is a mess I've slowly been cleaning it up, re doing wiring ect. Since I got the car, I still have a way to go.

I run my wires under the headers to keep the heat off, that way they can sag some and not get on the header.

View attachment 1715389203

That's nice! I should have thought about that, I already cut them to length though so I don't know if I will be able to do that? I only did 1 wrap around the header, so I may try to do a couple circles around it and see if that helps them stay attached better, or I can look for another type of heat wrap.

Here's a video, doesn't sound nearly as mean as she did when it was open headers :rofl:

My engine bay is a mess I've slowly been cleaning it up, re doing wiring ect. Since I got the car, I still have a way to go.

I mean it looks cleaner than mine! i love your air cleaner.

I want one of the old school orange 4 barrel air filters, and mopar valve cover gaskets.

I'm in the process of ditching the Holley double pumper, going back with original cast iron intake and thermoquad, also ditching the edelbrock valve covers and going with Mopar performance black wrinkle finish aluminum covers.

And the plug wire boots will be melted and turn to powder before long. Some 90° boots might help there.

You always bring the best bad news :rofl:

I was actually looking at some of these, but will look for some 90 degree boots, I just dont know if my wires will be long enough

71fqOSPMhAL._SL1000_.jpg

I ran into the same problem with my setup. I bought a pair of 90's from summit and used a pair of heat sleeves I picked up at the Pomona swap meet. I dont know what you guys have for swap meets in vegas, but we are spoiled down here. Pomona and Long Beach happen almost every month.

I ran into the same problem with my setup. I bought a pair of 90's from summit and used a pair of heat sleeves I picked up at the Pomona swap meet. I dont know what you guys have for swap meets in vegas, but we are spoiled down here. Pomona and Long Beach happen almost every month.

I don't know if we have car swap meets, I've never heard of one. I'm at napa picking up 90's now. I'll see if they have any sleeves too!

I had a tire blow out today so I got some new shoes on the Renegade. It's bright green, I went for a black one but my kids wanted the green one so I had to get it. I'm cool if my kids think I'm cool!

20190904_145938.jpg

20190904_145942.jpg

I don't know if we have car swap meets, I've never heard of one. I'm at napa picking up 90's now. I'll see if they have any sleeves too!

I had a tire blow out today so I got some new shoes on the Renegade. It's bright green, I went for a black one but my kids wanted the green one so I had to get it. I'm cool if my kids think I'm cool!

View attachment 1715389488

View attachment 1715389489
You’re near Vegas? They have several, there’s even a big Mopar Event every summer out there, like Mopars at the Strip or something similar

You’re near Vegas? They have several, there’s even a big Mopar Event every summer out there, like Mopars at the Strip or something similar

Mats* I thought that's a car show though? It's a swap meet as well?

I put on 90s and I think they have worse connection now than they did before, and still touch the headers. I wrapped the header like 5x times around

20190904_183740.jpg

Yep that sucked, now the car doesn't even want to start. It cranks and no fire, then fires for a split second and cuts out. Fires up again a little later then gave it a little gas and instant shuts off.

Yep that sucked, now the car doesn't even want to start. It cranks and no fire, then fires for a split second and cuts out. Fires up again a little later then gave it a little gas and instant shuts off.

don't overlook something obvious, make sure you got gas, not gonna tell you why I am saying this LOL

don't overlook something obvious, make sure you got gas, not gonna tell you why I am saying this LOL

I don't know how id be out of gas, guage says 1/2 tank and right before starting to work on it I put in 30 dollars of fuel. Only change I made was those damn spark plug boots if I can't get it to fire in the am, I may go get new wires (unfortunately) and I'll probably get new plugs I have champions now but read great things on here about the ngk v powers. It fired great yesterday, maybe I flooded the carb but I don't think so. Maybe the new distributor cap needs to be advanced/retarded idk. Maybe I don't deserve a Mopar because I can't diagnose why I have no start

I will say this mini starter is so much more quiet than the old one.

I think I will also try and get new battery cable adapters as mine suck.

... Maybe the new distributor cap needs to be advanced/retarded idk. Maybe I don't deserve a Mopar because I can't diagnose why I have no start

The cap only goes on one way! To advance or retard timing you have to loosen the distributor clamp. You can't change the timing by moving the cap. Check to make sure the cap is on correctly, as it's possible you may not have it indexed correctly, yet still managed to clamp it down? Also look for possible disconnected/damaged wires at the coil/distributor.

Could you try running the plug wire(s) under the header?

Agree with 69340GTS above statements. Check to be sure rotor and cap are seated correctly, plug wires are fully connected inside boots, and plugs are in correct firing order. I've had an engine start but run terribly with 2 plug wires mismatched.

The cap only goes on one way! To advance or retard timing you have to loosen the distributor clamp. You can't change the timing by moving the cap. Check to make sure the cap is on correctly, as it's possible you may not have it indexed correctly, yet still managed to clamp it down? Also look for possible disconnected/damaged wires at the coil/distributor.

Could you try running the plug wire(s) under the header?

Edited for quality of communication-

I tried running #7 under the header and it still hit the header with the 90 boot. The way I ran it was the only way keeping it off the header as much as possible .

The cap only seats one way on the distributor so I don't think it's that. My apologies for stating that in a weird/ wrong descriptive way.

The ground wire on the battery is a hot load of garbage so I'm getting new cables for that.

Last edited:
Got it! I think my #8 wire wasn't seated all the way, I took it off to see if my #7 wire could go there before cutting them because the #7 is sooo short.

I'm going to pull her out in a bit and let her run, so hopefully she stops smoking.

Here is that #7 wire it's not hitting the header routed this way, I think I'll still get some heat sleeves for it.

20190905_094503.jpg

20190905_094511.jpg

Took the daughter to school in the dart, she was so happy!!! Which makes me happy

The exhaust is making tons of metal scraping noise, I think it's rubbing on the driveshaft and I know the driver's side is wiggling around and needs to be tighter, but the rubber exhaust mount won't attach when the bolt is through the tighter hole. I may have to drill another hole Midway between the 2 and get that portion tighter.

20190905_123854.jpg

Good job getting it running! Sometimes it's a real aggravating experience but once you see the smiles (whether they're 5 or 18) ,it's worth it in the end. Fabricating stuff up is the name of the game with these cars.

Good job getting it running! Sometimes it's a real aggravating experience but once you see the smiles (whether they're 5 or 18) ,it's worth it in the end. Fabricating stuff up is the name of the game with these cars.

Yeah I couldn't even be mad about the constant metal scraping sounds, she was just pure joy for the 5 minute car ride in her purple car to school. ❤️

I crawled under the car and didn't see much abrasion between anything so it has me a little worried. I also need to pull that filter back off and out it on again, I haven't seen any oil puddles but I want to do it just to be safe. Plus I need to top off the oil, I pulled the dip stick and it looked a little low.

-
Back