Dartin for Divorce

-
I think everyone has offered great advice! No arguing here though I'd go in my house and walk past the dirty dishes if I wanted to hear that stuff :rofl:

Just kidding. I think everyone was correct though! Right side where plug currently is will be mechanical temp guage. Left side where crusty hose barb is needs to come out.

Also I have no mechanical shop experience and the monkey would most likely be the better bet to get it out without breaking something :lol:

20200324_111100.jpg

Dont think this is normal.....luckily it doesn't work anyways right? Looks like this guy is ordering a new condensor? Lol

20200324_112140.jpg

He wants to install an aftermarket mechanical temp sender which evidently is much bigger than the little factory sender your talking about. He wants to put it where a big ole 3/8 crusty pipe plug is. He was concerned about getting that out. A few of us (me included) were giving alternatives. No Biggy, man. We're all here trying to help.

Right on.
Well, he should be able to get that off with a BFCW. :)

How pretty... needs cleaned so that's what I'm doing today.

We found out I have TRW 30 over pistons, cylinder walls are nice, smooth and shiny.

We are checking my norris camshaft specs and seeing if the summit cam is much of a step up from it. Then we will make the best decision on if it's the right cam for my set up.

@billsdartgt, I got a spare room you can crash in if you miss the rabbit hole. :thumbsup:

Ps- my wife didnt think my car waking up happy (drew outline for her) was funny. I thought it was though :D

20200324_160405.jpg

20200324_160829.jpg

20200324_120015.jpg

cripes, you just got it running again. :rolleyes: kids....

Well yes, but in a couple days it will be running even better! Especially considering it will be timed properly to the cam, ignition and fuel system right?

Chasing those 1/10ths on the street!

Thanks for the offer DD, in case you missed it, Im still in my own rabbit hole, made a new friend at Summit though last night before I went to bed with another order. I don't hear anything if I walk by dirty dishes, just remember Im gonna have to use a paper plate or eat a sandwich. Your at a point I was, the grease and grime got me, it was either clean or scrap the car, you know what I did.

Thanks for the offer DD, in case you missed it, Im still in my own rabbit hole, made a new friend at Summit though last night before I went to bed with another order. I don't hear anything if I walk by dirty dishes, just remember Im gonna have to use a paper plate or eat a sandwich. Your at a point I was, the grease and grime got me, it was either clean or scrap the car, you know what I did.

Ooh what did you order?!

It has L2316F pistons that are .030.....once we cleaned the top of the pistons off....we were able to check the deck height on the pistons....they were i believe .012 to .013 above the deck....that is on the driver side.....

Last edited:
Friend called back and he has the correct timing chain cover for you......you might have to clean it..lol ..and it would be smart to swap out the seal....

I think everyone has offered great advice! No arguing here though I'd go in my house and walk past the dirty dishes if I wanted to hear that stuff :rofl:

Just kidding. I think everyone was correct though! Right side where plug currently is will be mechanical temp guage. Left side where crusty hose barb is needs to come out.

Also I have no mechanical shop experience and the monkey would most likely be the better bet to get it out without breaking something :lol:

View attachment 1715493091
Why are you wanting to remove the barb? Are you panning on bypassing the heater?

Friend called back and he has the correct timing chain cover for you......you might have to clean it..lol ..and it would be smart to swap out the seal....

Oh thats awesome! Swap out what seal?

Why are you wanting to remove the barb? Are you panning on bypassing the heater?

No I was going to put in a new non corroded barb.

Well no cam in today... my summit cam isnt much bigger than my norris... going to run the Comp Cams XE268H. I called comp cams and they actually recommended the XE274H, but Tony thinks the 268 would be better for the street and for power down low. I'll be giving up some high end RPM hp but those are ones I probably wouldn't see on the street anyways lol.

Now my rabbit hole has gotten deeper because I'm going to clean up the heads and front of my block with some paint.

I have all 3 colors on my engine but I'm leaning towards red, unless my daughter sees a pink and makes me get it lol.

We also checked my valve spring clearances and with the 901 springs I need a shim so we are getting those before installing the springs. I'll just clean until we have it all :thumbsup: that means I should pull my headers and try painting those again too :( Those suck to pull and install.

20200325_172619.jpg

Last edited:
hope you got a flashlight to take with you down the rabbit hole.

Hey Doc, when you go down the rabbit hole stop by and say Hi! That's where I live. Don't ask me how far I got down the BB/4-speed route before I found a 340/727 car... :eek:

DD, to help your immediate and future standing with the family I suggest you draw a line in the sand for where you will stop, one of the hardest things I have done, and easier said than done, if you look at the threads in members restorations there are builds that have gone on for years, not everything needs to be NOW (Like I said, easier said than done.

By the way, my line is transmission, it would be easy to order up a nice new transmission but Im gonna wait, also gonna wait on some of the interior updates and tweaks.

Hows the wifey like the rabbit hole?

Staying smaller with the cam is probably a good choice. Higher rpm hp comes at the expense of torque down low, which means needing to also tweak your trans (shift kit, governor) to be able to use that higher rpm power..

-
Back