Dartin for Divorce

-
Is your Fuel tank vented? Could it be vapor locked? Do you have a tight sealed fuel cap? Sorry for all the questions

Is it vented? Where would it be vented from? My fuel cap i don't think is the tightest fuel cap ever but I've never had a problem with it before.

I tried to go get the car after it sat for about 2 hours. It acted like it was going to start then just went to cranking with no start. I can smell gas though.

I've decided I'll try back again around 7-730 when it cools off a little more. I can always call the insurance and have it towed home.

Go to the basics if it will not restart, check fuel and spark. Grab it by the ears and look down the belly of the beast (down the carb ) pull the throttle lever back a couple of times and see if it's squirting fuel. If it is than pull the coil wire off hold it ( not your hand ) about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the intake manifold or a bracket. don't use the valve cover, and see if you have spark.

Also I personally keep AAA just in case. You can get the 100 mile free towing deal for a little over $100.00 a year.

Uncle tony uses a screwdriver to crank engine /jump relay while under the hood with the key on. Then unplugs ballast to kill it.

Go to the basics if it will not restart, check fuel and spark. Grab it by the ears and look down the belly of the beast (down the carb ) pull the throttle lever back a couple of times and see if it's squirting fuel. If it is than pull the coil wire off hold it ( not your hand ) about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the intake manifold or a bracket. don't use the valve cover, and see if you have spark.

I'm getting spark from coil. Fuel is hard to see with the avs2 carb, i can smell some fuel smell, not a lot though. It used to be easier to see with the clear fuel filter

Im assuming your cap/rotor is fairly new?
Had a rotor do that. vapour lock in fuel system can be addressed with an electric fuel pump and a return line to gas tank.

Im assuming your cap/rotor is fairly new?
Had a rotor do that. vapour lock in fuel system can be addressed with an electric fuel pump and a return line to gas tank.

Yes everything is new within the past 1yr and 500 miles.

This is the next route I am going to take i think. Electric fp, new sending unit, lines and return line.

When you get a minute post a under hood pic.

It looks the same as this picture from a couple weeks ago. I literally have not done anything on the car since washing and polishing it.

Been doing school stuff and have finals starting tomorrow.

20200524_165053.jpg

I didnt have this problem until this year after doing the cam and stuff. Last year it was fine, would just overheat.. Fuel injection, thats pretty expensive right?

Wasn't cheap! LOL. I think I figured I spent around $1800 all in with an in tank pump. I bet it could be done a couple hundred cheaper today.

If it was fuel related, I'd expect it to quit running if you're idling or in stop and go, but not on the highway. What were you doing when it quit? When it happens, a quick test for spark will help determine if it's something in the ignition. How hot is the coil when the engine quits? If it's screaming hot, might be a clue.

I'd be tempted to try 15-20 mins on the highway to see if it happens there at all. If it does, I doubt it's fuel. The 215 has wide shoulders on the east side. Makes for a nice spot to troubleshoot if you can stop under and overpass...

I'd also try to find out why your ignition buzzes when it's on - I think @70aarcuda is probably on to something there.

Maybe @kursplat was right and the purple car is going to be a trailer queen... everytime I try to drive it lately the damn thing dies on me.

Here try this, on the rear of the pass side valve cover remove the breather and blow thru the part that goes into the valve cover with your mouth. No restriction or pluged?

With cars of this age and a thousand hands touching it I could write a book on the things to look for but try this and the fuel cap is a great idea.

Wasn't cheap! LOL. I think I figured I spent around $1800 all in with an in tank pump. I bet it could be done a couple hundred cheaper today.

If it was fuel related, I'd expect it to quit running if you're idling or in stop and go, but not on the highway. What were you doing when it quit? When it happens, a quick test for spark will help determine if it's something in the ignition. How hot is the coil when the engine quits? If it's screaming hot, might be a clue.

I'd be tempted to try 15-20 mins on the highway to see if it happens there at all. If it does, I doubt it's fuel. The 215 has wide shoulders on the east side. Makes for a nice spot to troubleshoot if you can stop under and overpass...

I'd also try to find out why your ignition buzzes when it's on - I think @70aarcuda is probably on to something there.

Oh no I'm scared to get this thing on the freeway and take it longer distances since it keeps dying on me.

It died on me pulling into the 7-11 parking lot going really slow. It stuttered a bit in the neighborhood. I gave her some gas and it ran great until i had to wait at the light for 5 minutes, then started sputtering when turning into the gas station.

The carb didn't feel hot, the metal line next to carb was a little hut but I could grab it. The engine temp guage read 185ish.

The ignition buzzing is a mystery... no one on the forum knew what it was...

-
Back