Dartin for Divorce

-
You think its more ecu related rather than fuel? Idk when my ecu was made either. It's just orange
Based on the symptoms, yes. If it has a small pentastar printed on it it's a good bet it's Mopar unit. The p/n is printed on them too, 4120505 or 4111850, or something like that.

This is the one I was looking at before, it is on RockAuto under the 5.6l dodge dart, it also comes up on Summit for the car.

I'll look into it all more since I don't have much knowledge on this stuff. Even reading over that thread I got a little confused with exactly what they were doing.

Screenshot_20200621-213059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Based on the symptoms, yes. If it has a small pentastar printed on it it's a good bet it's Mopar unit. The p/n is printed on them too, 4120505 or 4111850, or something like that.

I didnt see a pentastar logo on it or that part number. It was made in Malaysia and USA lol... so its probably not original.

This is the one I was looking at before, it is on RockAuto under the 5.6l dodge dart, it also comes up on Summit for the car.

I'll look into it all more since I don't have much knowledge on this stuff. Even reading over that thread I got a little confused with exactly what they were doing.

View attachment 1715549593
That does not look like it'll fit your Dart gas tank. I think there is something wrong with the applications listing... that thing seems like it fits almost everything! Which is impossible.

Customer’s 51 chevy vapour locked the other day. Carb was bone dry.
20 minutes and a splash of gas in carb and away it went.

what about a cool can, like the ones used on drag strip?
And check the rubber hose between frame and pump, could be collapsing when it gets hot. Suction side.

Let’s figure out what’s happening before you replace the whole fuel system. Try to get it back into failure mode today and try a few things. Maybe get a spare ecu to try today. If that’s not it, when it’s in failure mode get a squirt bottle of fuel and mist some into carburetor. See if it will start.

Customer’s 51 chevy vapour locked the other day. Carb was bone dry.
20 minutes and a splash of gas in carb and away it went.

what about a cool can, like the ones used on drag strip?
And check the rubber hose between frame and pump, could be collapsing when it gets hot. Suction side.

Yea my carb was pretty dry yesterday. Ill check out that hose. I only replaced from the pump to the carb. I don't know what a cool can is but im now about to look them up.

Let’s figure out what’s happening before you replace the whole fuel system. Try to get it back into failure mode today and try a few things. Maybe get a spare ecu to try today. If that’s not it, when it’s in failure mode get a squirt bottle of fuel and mist some into carburetor. See if it will start.

I'm pretty sure its fuel not making it to the carb. I just pressed throttle on carb and tons of fuel comes out... yesterday no fuel was coming out when it wouldnt start.

Are you using a return line?

Not yet. I havent done anything to the car since washing it. Been busy with school stuff lately. Also had a couple meetings with my uncle about what I'm going to be doing after graduation.

I need to do more reading about electric fuel pumps. This car id be willing to bet has original or very old fuel system from the tank to the mech pump.

To do a return line, I would need to plump a new hard line into the tank correct?

Yup. That's what I'm doing on mine. I have 5/16 line from the tank to the fuel pump and carb, and 1/4 line going back to the tank for vapor lock avoidance.

Of course, I currently avoid hot start issues by having no running gear in the car so it sits safely in the shop. :rolleyes:

Yup. That's what I'm doing on mine. I have 5/16 line from the tank to the fuel pump and carb, and 1/4 line going back to the tank for vapor lock avoidance.

Of course, I currently avoid hot start issues by having no running gear in the car so it sits safely in the shop. :rolleyes:

I'm telling you, all the old guys just don't drive their cars and keep them in the garage so they don't break and they don't have to work on them... They work smarter not harder... :poke::D

I have no clue how to plumb a line into the tank... I feel like I'm going to need a shop to start working on this car... My home inspection got moved to next week, so I may have to wait a little to dive to far into a project which will make my garage another big mess.

Ps- that guy with the parts is out of town and said he would get back to me when he gets back in town.

Ps- that guy with the parts is out of town and said he would get back to me when he gets back in town.

Roger that, and thanks for checking.

I have no clue how to plumb a line into the tank.

I bought a new tank from AMD along with a new sending unit. The new unit has two fittings, one for fuel out, the other for a return line. I'm going to route the 1/4" line close to the new fuel line to get back to the tank. It's easy-peasy.

Roger that, and thanks for checking.

I bought a new tank from AMD along with a new sending unit. The new unit has two fittings, one for fuel out, the other for a return line. I'm going to route the 1/4" line close to the new fuel line to get back to the tank. It's easy-peasy.

Do you have link to the tank you got? Thanks!

seems that since you added/changed a few parts a few weeks ago and thinking you solved a problem, try to find out exactly what is happening before changing or buying anything else. Several different things could be causing the issue as already posted, reread the items, get a few tools to take with you and go out in the hottest part of the day - it seems it will show up. You said the car was around 185, focus on something else besides heat soak - if no fuel at carb then check fuel to pump at the pump - this will take a little more time but it will be cheaper and you will have verified what some of your other parts that you haven't replaced are actually doing. definitely have some gas you can squirt down the carb

make sure you have plenty of time and leave the kiddos at home so your not scrambling and can wait it out

seems that since you added/changed a few parts a few weeks ago and thinking you solved a problem, try to find out exactly what is happening before changing or buying anything else. Several different things could be causing the issue as already posted, reread the items, get a few tools to take with you and go out in the hottest part of the day - it seems it will show up. You said the car was around 185, focus on something else besides heat soak - if no fuel at carb then check fuel to pump at the pump - this will take a little more time but it will be cheaper and you will have verified what some of your other parts that you haven't replaced are actually doing. definitely have some gas you can squirt down the carb

make sure you have plenty of time and leave the kiddos at home so your not scrambling and can wait it out

Yea i have to disconnect the fuel line at the pump to see if that's getting fuel, then disconnect fuel line to carb and see if fuel is getting through there.

I would assume those are the only 2 places to disconnect the fuel line and check. Or I could also disconnect it at the carb

You could try this, get the engine warmed up during the afternoon, in the driveway. Disconnect the fuel line at the pump. Install a 5' fuel line from the pump into a gas can beside the car. See how it runs/ idles. It will definitely heat up. This takes the tank and rear fuel line out of the equation. If it stalls at least your at home to start checking other fuel/ electrical issues.

and if the water heater is anywhere near this, be careful :eek:
I agree. Hot weather,hot engine and evaporating fuel and its an explosion waiting to happen. Put a jug or 2 of icewater in a cooler and go for a cruise. When it quits, dump some water on fuel pump.

-
Back