Darts first time to the track!!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Some of you may remember the thread I started about building a race car back in the spring. I got advised to just see what my dart ran and build from there instead of building another car so I am doing just that. 360 with stock j heads, Eddie 650, Eddie performer rpm intake, headers, mp .484 cam, mp distributor, b&m flex plate, 3000 rpm stall, 7 1/4 with 2:73 gears. I will be happy with 15s just because of that rear end. I am putting in a new rear with 3:55s the day after I go but I just wanted to get a base time. This isn't my first time racing so I know not to go through the water and all the stupid first time mistakes lol. Ill post video and pictures next week.

man bet that thing just smoked the tire big time my guess 15.60 88 mph.

I bet it makes more power than the 383 I had in my '72 4 door Valiant, and that ran 14's with 2.76's in the rear, crossing the stripe at the top of second gear.

That 284/484 is gonna want more then a 3:55 gear in my opinion. Carb may hold it back some too..

Looking forward to the video.

I have a Holley 750 that's torn apart right now. Ill try and get that done before Friday and I will more then likely step up to a 4:11 this winter.

I hope that 7 1/4 rear doesn't snap once you get it on the sticky track. Good luck.

I took the car out tonight. We live on a 1/8 mile straight shot so I launched twice and stayyed on it just to make sure nothing would blow up and everything went well. It's corn fields on both sides and I have to slow down for a turn before the first driveway so it was sort of safe. I am starting to get nervous about making a 1/4 mile pass though. I have never held it wide open for that long.

I wouldn't worry about 15 seconds or so.
For some perspective , I was sending a '67 Coronet 4 door with a 318 to the bone yard back in my mis-spent youth.
Standard practice back then was to get a case of beer , some buddies and a brick to set on the gas pedal before the wrecker came to pick it up.
With 1/2 a tank ( yes , gas was cheap back then too ) we fired it up and floor boarded the pedal.
With the hood open , we sat back and started drinking.
After about 25 minutes , the exhaust manifolds were glowing red and it started spitting through the carb.
After about 40 minutes , it ran out of gas. Never seized , never so much as picked up a rod knock.
That taught us a valuable lesson.....drain the oil and coolant out if you expect any kind of violence from these deals.
If your motor is put together right......or even a little loose ...... a quarter mile is nothing for the motor.
But as my former transmission guy once told me , once it starts hooking , you will find the weak link.
Small U joints ? 7 1/4 rear ? I'd maybe bolt a safety loop to the floor just to be sure a front u joint failure doesn't give you a story that lasts a lot longer than it took to clean your britches. But take care when doing your burn out if you do......do " NOT !!!! " unload the driveline in 1st. gear and you will be o.k. for a while there.

No burnout, I'm running street tires, just going to drive around the water and spin them real quick. Ill post the time slips and videos in about 24 hours.

Drop some 3.5s into it and it'll be low 14's at least, but you might need some sticky rubber too. Better rubber will help to get it into the 13s with more suitable gears.

I had no doubt you'd run 14s with your combo, nice work. What MPH?

94 mph. Second pass was a 14.77...I couldn't keep it from spinning and I am looking for slicks now.

Slicks will make a fair difference. You're probably into 14.4 or lower with Slicks but i'd start shopping for an 8 3/4 with better gears.

8 3/4 with slicks and 4.10s. It will fly.

I have the new rear with 3:55 sure grip in the trunk. I am going to run that with some slicks and try to shave some weight. Ill be happy to get into the high thirteens before the season is ovdr

That's a 14.00-14.10 MPH.

All the time you are missing is in the 60' mark. If you can get it to the 1.95 range it will run the above et

-
Back