Dash bulb replacement.

-

Dave Dodge

Reaction score
Thanks in advance. Do I need to pull out the instrument cluster to replace turn signal indicator bulb? 1965 Dart

Depends how creative you are and your on physical build and skill to work by touch.
Looking in the service manual or for some photos here will help you mentally picture where you're going to reach.
I haven't tried a '65 Dart but can't think of any reason that would be particlarly more challenging.
DO NOT WEAR A RING.
Why? Because if you accidentally ground either terminal on the ammeter - they are connected to the battery. At best you'll melt the fusible link and suffer a little pain.

Yes, it needs to come out. As mentioned, disconnect the battree first.

I heard some folks have pulled their windshield to get the dash out. Some have the tough to get to upside down bolts that once undone will allow you to drop steering column and swing the dash down. If you were one of those folks, out of curiosity only, which would you rather be. :rolleyes:

just to put you in the loop dave....a conversation we had earlier discussing the ins and outs of being able to swing the dash away from the windshield by the two lateral lower bolts. Good read.

Infamous reversing dash frame screw

It depends on which lamp it is. Some are easy to get to, some not. I yank the seat when I gotta work under the dash now. Too old to be twisting like a pretzel under a dash.
If you access to a keebler elf, that would be a huge help.

1964 Dart GTS. I dropped the steering column, place a towel over it to protect paint, & removed the meters with seats in. Remove ignition switch disconnect Cigar lighter. After I bought brand new bulb bullets, I replaced all lights with green leds. Looks beotchin. Still have to do the Gear lights. Make sure to DISCONNECT BATTERY! Have small wrench, 3/8's?, ready to disconnect battery lead from right back of meter panel, work pliers in behind to loosen speedo cable, hand unscrew it, then use flat blade screwdriver to slowly work circular wiring molex off rear of panel.
upload_2022-8-30_22-11-42.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back