Dash Conversion FINISHED

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Jeepers Creepers...........Feels like it's been months.........I guess it only took 2 weeks of tinkerin' or thereabouts.......

I converted the steering column, as some may remember, to smooth bells (getting rid of the column shift garbage), and installed a custom fabricated Hurst Floor Shift for the 727.

The dash was completely stripped and reconditioned, including the cluster-ashtray-glove box-bezels-air vents, etc...etc..., and a new custom console with an FM-Cassette and auxiliary gauges. The A/C vents were refaced with one-piece chrome overlay's....really sharp.....All the woodgrain is actual Cherrywood, NOT vinyl....Real wood.....all the wood matches, including custom Cherrywood Pistol grips. Small parts were glass bead blasted and refinished, and all new stainless hardware replaces the old stuff.

All that's left is to pop on the wheel, and put the Cherrywood on the door panels, and the interior is finished. Can't wait to CRUISE Baby! (by the way, our cruisin' season is just about to begin! 8).....no nasty e-mails please)

111_1175.jpg

111_1176.jpg

111_1177.jpg

111_1179.jpg

That looks GREAT, well done. The pistol grip to match looks Awesome!! Getting all finished right on schedule is a beautiful thing!!

That is pretty sweet looking. Good work.

you took that photo going 9 MPH in your garage! You are a talented individual!

Tom,
Very nice work!
The wood really makes it sparkle!
I'm jealous, can't wait to start on mine again
You got any pics of the shifter and console?
Any advise and pics on grafting the pistol grip to the shifter?
I'm hoping to do something similiar using a e-body console in my car.

Jeg's exhaust pics 2 021.jpg

LOL!!! He never said he rebuilt the gauges!

:thumleft::thumleft: Looks awesome!

That is pretty sweet looking. Good work.

Yeah, that speedo is a little sticky......If it doesn't settle after I fire it up, I'll put in a new one or have it freshened up.....If I tap the dash, it goes down where it belongs.....I think it'll free up a little.

For guys interested in the shifter conversion, we'll be posting it pretty soon step by step........8)

pastortom...where did you get the chrome overlays or did you make them?
thanks

I'll give up one of our trade secrets we've been using for yars and yars........

We use 3M backed metal foil film.......The same stuff they use at the local sign shops.......but NOT cheap manufacturers.......3M has the best adhesives.

For something like those vent surrounds, you have a small flat surface all the way around if it's not bashed up.....if it is, clean it up and flatten it with 400 grit paper....then wipe it with lacquer thinner (carefully...on the tip of a paper towel over your finger)......it prepares the plastic for adhesive.....

Lay your film over the vent with an overlap on each side......press the edges firmly on to the plastic......then trim with a new exacto blade, in ONE SWEEPING CUTTING MOTION on each edge, around the inside and outside edges....takes some practice.....if you mess up, use a new piece til you get the hang of it.........If you run out of chrome, or can only find gold film, just wipe the gold off with lacquer thinner.....leaves a perfect chrome finish behind......in fact, we use gold exclusively, then wipe off the gold color....it helps to protect the chrome while you're working.

By the way, you can use the same method to put a new chrome edge on certain plastic turn signals and such. 8)

Looks outstanding! You've obviously got many hours of hard work into it and it shows.

Here's another tip that may be of interest. To renew the chrome that is heat-sealed onto door panels, headrests and even the ridges on dash panels, there's a product called BARE METAL FOIL at better hobby shops. This is a self-stick, real metal foil that is so thin it doesn't appear to leave an edge when overlapping pieces.

Wow !! Looking good pastortom1. :cheers:
and thanks for the trade secrets .:read2:

Getting ready to replace my console top, console door and ashtray door in my 69 GTS.

Anyone done this before?

As for the hobby chrome, I've used that stuff on model cars & rockets and such, but have not tried it to touch up those particulars..........I know some of the Mopars have some wildly patterned and textured "chrome" edges on those panels.......something like you say could work nicely........Makes sense.........

Good tip............! 8)

Getting ready to replace my console top, console door and ashtray door in my 69 GTS.

Anyone done this before?

Well, they have ready cut kits available.....for the consoles they're not too expensive......you just don't have many choices on woodgrain.

We have done quite a few in Burl (vinyl)..........Look pretty nice......Check the pics in my garage of the little Cuda interior......that's Burl.......YearOne and the like have the basic walnut, and sometimes carbon fiber vinyl.

If you want to pattern the console yourself and cut some vinyl, lay out some 24# white copy paper, taping it for length...........press it in like bread dough, working your fingernail tightly into the edges by the chrome...............if you're careful to hold it steady and firm, and press well, you can come out with a pretty good pattern. Now cut and trim the paper, and fit it in the console......if your edges are screwy, tape them in the short area and trim again with an exacto until it's perfect..........Transfer it to your vinyl, and put it on......Just be sure to clean the console tops really well with a brush and Simple Green (or something as good), rinse, and dry......Windex or prep solvent work well before you stick the vinyl.

As far as this kind of resto goes, "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

If you don't try some of these things for yourself, you'll have to pay out the nose or be satisfied with what ya' got. 8)

Looks as great in the car as it did in pieces after you re-fabricated it. Do you have any wide shots to let us see how the whole dash looks in the car? I can't wait to see the door panels when they are done ... should tie it all together nicely.

Looks as great in the car as it did in pieces after you re-fabricated it. Do you have any wide shots to let us see how the whole dash looks in the car? I can't wait to see the door panels when they are done ... should tie it all together nicely.

Here's a wide shot.....Maybe tomorrow I can show the doors......Haven;t started them yet.

111_1180.jpg

-
Back