Dash dimples

-
They are sink marks in the molded plastic part. The plastic boss is likely much bigger in diameter than the nominal wall of the part that it protrudes off. Poor part design. When the plastic cools down, it shrinks and forms sink marks like you see here.

I'm trying to determine how upset I should be. If these marks are common, I might not be that upset. But if I'm the only one...

Here's another pic

Attachments

• 125_0814a.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 200
My 68 Barracuda dash has at least one dimple like that and it is the original. I have Deluxe interior with the burl-wood overlay on top so I don't really know how many are there.

My original bezels don't have any dimples at all. 67 & 68. None on the glove box pieces also. They are the only 2 I have in hand to make a comparison.
I just went out and looked them over real close to answer this for you.
They are in unrestored condition but will need redone due to blistered paint and chrome worn thru to yellow plastic.

I did notice on the Repo's the dimples show up well in the sales photos.

Mine are kind of flakey but I could brush off the loose stuff and take a picture of a certain area if it would help. Likely won't make you feel any better about the dimples but you would feel pretty good with your fresh paint and chrome.
Been wanting to do something with mine for awhile now.

I think that is caused from over tightening the frame to bezel screws. I juts looked at 4 I have here and none are like that and the two installed in the cars aren't either.

What is the detail on the other side of the part, opposite the dimple?

I think that is caused from over tightening the frame to bezel screws. I juts looked at 4 I have here and none are like that and the two installed in the cars aren't either.

I know this is correct.
I warn my customers to not over tighten those bezel to housing screws.
I have pics here that show outline of the housings perimeter in the plastic.
I'm guessing the dimples have been there a long time and only more visible due to new paint.

Can we make those dimples go away ? Maybe... Get some screws of same size and about 1.5 or 2 inches long. With the bezel alone, run the screws in to all the same depth/plane and let the bezel stand face up on the screw heads. Pile a few hundred dollars worth of hotrod magazines on top and let it lay for a couple weeks.
The dimples, along with often wavy brims are the pitfalls of restoring these plastic bezels. Owners naturally inspect their parts much closer after returned than they ever did before. They'll discover flaws that were always there, then complain to the restore vendor.

-
Back