dash gauges and turn signals acting up

-

Liquidspine

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First things first....
None of my gauges or lights worked before....
That being said, I took my dash harness out and fixed any problem areas.
Not much was bad, a few bad wires but thats about it.
Now I have some dash lights that work but gauges still dont work.
Also my turn signals work with the head lights off but when I turn them on they either dont work at all or flash randomly. The parking lights dont work either but the bulbs are fine.
Any ideas? Thanks

Where are the grounds? Are there grounds that don't go through the firewall? Also the big red wire on the back of the cluster, does the black wire go on the post to the left?

Rallye dash.

Thanks

Is there a ground off the fuse block?
All I saw was in the harness. Can I test the ground somehow?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Nearly everything electrical in older vehicles depends on a chassis ground path through the nuts and bolts holding it together. This applies to most inst' panels. If it has a metal housing it isn't going to function properly while dangling from the harness connectors unless you add a ground jumper.
The front park lamp fixtures either use chassis ground through a metal grille or they are mounted in plastic and have a ground wire to the radiator support.
Saying what car this is might get a better response. Good luck

As above... you need to work on the grounds out at all the turn signals and other exterior lamps first. When ground are bad, the current will seek alternate paths to get back the the battery - and may find it through other bulbs and filaments.

And the run signal indicators were different in different years so the model/year is important.

Sorry guys, It a 70 swinger with rallye dash.
Im not new to wiring but new to the car so im still figuring out where thing are.
Are there any specific locations I should look for loose grounds or where I should connect grounds.
Im going to have a few hours tonight to mess around so I will check everything I can.

Thanks again for all the help.

Do you mean it never was grounded from the factory or Im missing a ground from the cluster?

Where is it grounded is my question (the cluster)? I rewired the harness but saw no extra wires for grounds. Just the ones in the harness. Are there separate grounds to check?

Metal gage housing by nature of it being metal, grounds thru the metal screws that hold it in place to the metal dashboard frame which attaches to the metal car body which itself is a ground.

Everything thats metal on the car except for the wiring IS your negative ground. Most if not all vehicles are built this way. Your battery negative may go to the engine block, but theres a ground strap from the engine to the firewall to make the body part of the negative side of the equation. This is because the rubber engine mounts are insulators.

Hope this helps.

-
Back