dash guages ??

-

Beavis

Reaction score
i have a 69 dart and i cant seem to get the guages working (fuel, alt & temp) the oil light works fine, it comes on when the key is turned on and when i start it it goes off.

the fuel guage wires check out all the way to the dash.

its the fuel guage im want working.

any suggestions would help

The oil light operates on 12 volts. the fuel and temp gauges operate on reduced voltage provided by a mechanical limiter plugged into the back of the panel.

i tested the limiter and it was no good, so replaced it with another working one and still nothing. the one i replaced it with was showing 4v

im no pro with a meter. when i tested the bad one, it was fluctuating between numbers, does that mean its bad ??

"Tested." What does that mean? How did you test it?

There are many pitfalls in these, includiing (generally) bad connections throughout the harness connectors, and especially at the cluster harness connector, the pins break and become loose at the PC board

The spring contacts for the IVR sometimes don't make contact with the PC board--you have to solder jumpers across

The cluster MUST be grounded. Add a pigtail to a ground point on the cluster, and bolt to the column support

Original IVR units operate like a flasher....on and off...so if you check it with a VOLT meter when the key is in "run" yes, it will "jump" up and down in voltage.

Jack up the car level. Pull the sender wire off the sender. Set the meter for "low" ohms (resistance)

"Stab" one meter probe hard into the sender mount, and the other on the sender wire connection. What is the reading? How much fuel in the tank? What does the fuel gauge read?

Take a clip lead and connect to the sender wire, and ground the sender wire. Turn on the key to "run." Fuel gauge should head right up to full. Don't leave the key on.

i swapped it out with another dash and everything worked fine.

Could you tell what the problem ever was? Maybe the circuit board? I have the same issue with nothing working on the dash. not even oil.

I bet it's not ground. I made up a wire to ground to the panel.

-
Back