Dash/Instrument Panel Questions

-

WmBaldwin57

Reaction score
I need to replace the dash cap in my 73 Dart Swinger, I took out the instrument panel and realized these little nuts are going to be hard to get to, and I'm going to need to remove a lot more stuff. I'm a little concerned about removing the entire dash, but I wonder if it wouldn't be easier. How difficult is it to remove the whole thing and take it off like that? Also when I pulled the instument cluster out I noticed what looked like the windshield washer arm, and another right beside it that isn't connected to anything (see picture), is it supposed to be connected to something?

IMG_0069c.jpg

the dash cap will come off easier than removing the whole dash. The 2 screws on the turned down ends of the cap are sheet metal screws with 1/4" hex heads. 5 studs , one cenetered and 2 equal shaped left and right.
The wiper linkage has one arm connected on the pivot pointing down. The other pivot is pointing up. The loose arm goes there. Have fun

I took off the nut on the drivers side, so are you saying there is only one more nut on the passenger side, and the rest are just studs? So I just need to take out the glove box?

theres one sheet metal screw in each corner ( maybe 1/2 way up from bottom of dash ), and 5 nuts on studs. I just got mine off also, but i already had the dash guted so it wasnt to bad. OHHH......the sheet metal screw takes a 5/16 socket, while the nuts were 3/8

What they said!!!
Also... NOW is the time to replace those old worn out Wiper Pivot Arm Seals too!
And those 3 little caps that hold the Wiper Arms to the Pivots.

I am going to be redoing my '74 Dart's entire Dash this summer and will post a thread on that when I get to it.
Won't help you out though since you are already underway.

Hope this helped some.
Later,
Bruce B.

Post away 7071DartGTReg, I'm slow :) Sounds like you want me to do a lot more work, is there nothing easy about redoing this car :clock:

Some pics of the back of the dash for ya. The hardest nut to get to is the one above the heater controls.[/ATTACH] enjoy

100_0317.jpg

100_0315.jpg

It is easier to get it done now then after you put it all back together!
That is why I am saving the whole enchalada for one time!

Later,
Bruce B.

Removing the entire dash requires removing the windshield. Besides not being fun, if the glass isn't handled properly it can start or accelerate delamination.

Disconnect the battery first as the leads to the Alternator guage are hot. Likewise wires to the glove box light and cigarette lighter are hot as well.

To avoid damage to the instrument cluster bezel, suggest removing steering column support to make room for bezel to clear shift quadrant and avoid scratching dash.

IMO, I'd rather go to the dentist than take the dash apart. All the same, I'm doing it soon so I can fix wiper leaks and noise, cut for DIN chassis radio, and re-paint it.

I'm going to disagree with Daliant. The hardest nut to get to is the one on the seat behind the steering wheel. LOL.

Great Pictures, they will be a lot of help. Thanks... well I guess I'd better get to work.

Ok, I give....how do you get the headlight/dimmer knob off? I've tried turning, and pulling and it does not seem to budge.

Ok, I give....how do you get the headlight/dimmer knob off? I've tried turning, and pulling and it does not seem to budge.

See the little button? With the headlight switch pushed in, (off), reach around the back and press this button. Keep it pressed and pull the light switch knob and shaft out of the dash.
100_0317.jpg

100_0317.jpg

1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Pull the headlamp switch control knob out to its ON position stop.
  3. Depress the headlamp switch knob and shaft release button on the top of the switch housing, and pull the switch knob and shaft out of the switch.

The release button on the switch may be on top and it make be on the right side. And dont push that button when reinstalling the stem. That would wreck the catch. The stem has a pointed end to guide it through the catch. Have fun.

Well I'll be damned, thanks guys I would have never figured that out. I've read all the manuals I could find and didn't catch this at all. Thanks for the re-install tip as well. =D>

Hopefully my last question on this thread, I've found replacement instrument cluster bulbs but do you know anyone who sells the little black sockets themselves? I have several that have one of the ears broke off.

I got them from a dodge dealer. Yes, a dealer themselves. Went to one, they had a book and found the part number. But didn't have any. Then they searched dealers in the Area and printed off a list of the dealer, the number they had in stock and the phone numbers. I think I bought some extras, but don't know where they are nor the time to look.

Steve

Found them at Napa, also found what looks to be original bulbs "GE 158" at AtlantaLightBulbs.com. I'll have to go up and check them out, maybe I'll get all new bulbs.

I notice your circuts look very clean, mine are somewhat dirty, did you clean them with anything. I thought about trying to use a pencil erasure on them, I didn't want to damage them.

I finally got the Dash Cap off, Thank You Daliant, your pictures were extremely helpful, I couldn't have got this thing off with out all the help. Especially the hint about the 2 small screws and their size.

Now I'm ready to recondition the dash panels (woodgrain crap), what is the secret to getting the glove box knob off?

That worked, thanks once again. But for those trying this at home, it didn't just pop off. I had to depress the spring, and then put slight prying pressure under the glove box knob to get it to come out. But the instructions were right on.

Ok, got everything off and then ordered a new dash cap only to find out what I really wanted was the whole thing, not just a cap. This cap even comes with a warning that says it will warp in the sun... Not a good thing for someone in Georgia... Does anyone know where I can get the whole thing? I ordered the cap from Herbs, also see that Year One has them but haven't found anyone with the whole thing?

-
Back