Dash Lights Problem! Help!

-
The connector with the horn wire and the flashing wires is turn signal and hazard flashers so all that may be fine. There is only one harness and connecter to the ignition switch.
If we rewind all the way to no dash lights... the ignition switch wouldn't cause that unless it has been changed or cross-wired.

so there are two flashers, one on each side a bit away from it, when you turn the turn signals on you can feel one pulsing, then i turn the turn signals off, turn the hazard lights on and the other one pulses(you can feel this) and this one in the picture...doesnt do anthing...im wondering if its the heater resistor, because the one on my wiring diagram doesnt show what colors go to it

wiring diagrams 74 dart[/ATTACH]

74DartA.jpg

74DartB.jpg

Thank you daliant, That is the one I have right now, It doesnt have all the wiring because of not having some of the features on it like AC and a couple more or some, I really appreciate all the help everyone and im going to try and fix the rest of the problems tomorrow

So on the wiring diagram, as you can see above, the red wire goes to the ash tray, and that always has power of course, but it was plugged into the pink wire(jeririgged it looked like)to give the pink wire power, and I think this was one of the shorts.

We are open for all ideas still, its probably going to take one or two more days to fix

The resistor stack for the fan speeds is mounted in the plenum. Wires go from fan switch to resistor connecter.
So that little round piece has to be either part of the time delay on your interior lamps, or that seatbelt interlock. Heres an idea.. just unplug it.
I dont know all I'd like to know about how these odd features work since I haven't owned a 74. I do know dome lamp positive wires are yellow and hot wires are pink so I suspect that piece is time delay relay but I cant be sure.
Agreed we will take all the input we can get.

I will take more pictures of some of the stuff, im still trying to get power to the pink wire, get the fuse for the domelight not to blow, and get my dashlights working, thank you everyone, And yes, input is great

Its all fixed now!
these were the problems, the headlight switch and, this thing(please, someone tell me what this is, it was right behind the dash component)

hpim1306.jpg

hpim1307.jpg

Looks like the computer for the seatbelt interlock system. Will your car start with it unplugged? If it will, then somebody already bypassed it, if not you may have to do an easy fix under the hood.

If your still wondering what that flasher/relay is in the picture, I may have an idea.

I have been trying to fix up an electrical problem on my car, and according to the 68 barracuda wiring diagrams, that thing could be a time delay relay for your interior lights. If you trace the wires off that on the diagram it goes to the cigarette lighter then plugs into the red wire with connectors taht it looks like you got there, then it goes to the fuse panel at the cigarette light fuse.

I dont know if this will help you at all, but I was able to by a time delay relay at my local chrysler dealership for 16 bucks....

Hey Redfish, do you know where to get a good headlight switch? I think mine is probably bad. Headlights work fine as do park posisition. The dome and map lights work fine, but I have no voltage to the orange wires ever.

My 68 Barracuda looks like it is wired for that time delay can as well but mine is not there. Anybody have the part number and source for that?

Thanks all, it's almost summer so I probably won't need dash lights but it's nice to have things working right.

Nice job Pitbull!
This thread made me laugh. I had a 74 duster with the exact same issue. no dash lights. Electricity and I do not mix. Eventually I could drive the car and keep the speed limit by ear. I used to just flick my lighter every once in a while up by the speedo to double check but then i quit smoking and just did it by ear.
Yeah, Both my 74 and 73 dusters had that white flat connector with burn marks on the plastic, signifying that something was getting hot.

Nice job Pitbull!
This thread made me laugh. I had a 74 duster with the exact same issue. no dash lights. Electricity and I do not mix. Eventually I could drive the car and keep the speed limit by ear. I used to just flick my lighter every once in a while up by the speedo to double check but then i quit smoking and just did it by ear.
Yeah, Both my 74 and 73 dusters had that white flat connector with burn marks on the plastic, signifying that something was getting hot.

I took my dash cluster out replaced all my bulbs.Now i want to paint the bezel because it's fadded. Some of which is chrome. I painted cars for 25 years but never chrome. I also have no power to my ignition since I took the cluster out. Do not know why. I'll find out. I've got my winter project but the car has no rust . I can work on a rust free car. I'll need some tips at times.

I took my dash cluster out replaced all my bulbs.Now i want to paint the bezel because it's fadded. Some of which is chrome. I painted cars for 25 years but never chrome. I also have no power to my ignition since I took the cluster out. Do not know why. I'll find out. I've got my winter project but the car has no rust . I can work on a rust free car. I'll need some tips at times.

Did you remember to hook-up the black and red wires to the back of the alternator gauge...

-
Back